2 masses, a massive pulley and an inclined surface

In summary, the problem involves a mass m on an inclined surface with equal coefficients of friction, a pulley with mass m, and a weight of 2m. The goal is to find the velocity after it has descended distance h and the duration of time it takes. The solution involves using moment of inertia and torque equations to find the acceleration and then using the force equations to eliminate T1 and T2, resulting in an expression for acceleration in terms of the given variables.
Karol

Homework Statement

Snap1.jpg
[/B]A mass m lies on an inclined surface with equal coefficients of friction μ=μsk. the pulley has also mass m and the weight is 2m. what is the velocity after it has descended distance h and during how much time.

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia of a massive disk: ##I_{cen}=\frac{1}{2}mr^2##
Torque and angular acceleration: ##M=I\alpha##

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\Sigma F=ma:~~\left\{\begin{array}{l} 2mg-T_1=2ma \\ T_2-mg\sin\theta-mg\mu\cos\theta=ma \end{array}\right.$$
$$\rightarrow~T_1=\frac{2}{3}(1+\sin\theta+\mu\cos\theta)mg$$
$$T_2=\frac{mg}{9}(4+7\sin\theta+7\mu\cos\theta)$$
$$M=I\alpha:~~a=\frac{2}{m}(T_1-T_2)=...=\frac{2g}{3}\left( \frac{2}{3}-\frac{1}{3}\sin\theta-\frac{\mu}{3}\cos\theta \right)$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Well done - I have not checked the algebra but that looks like a good approach to take.
Is there a question in all that?

Thank you Simon, i am not sure about my answer, that is why i posted. thank you

Karol said:
$$M=I\alpha:~~a=\frac{2}{m}(T_1-T_2)=...=\frac{2g}{3}\left( \frac{2}{3}-\frac{1}{3}\sin\theta-\frac{\mu}{3}\cos\theta \right)$$
I got different result. T1 and T2 are not needed. Eliminate them by adding the force equations and substituting T1-T2 from the torque equation.

Looks like you divided by 3 twice over.

ehild said:
I got different result. T1 and T2 are not needed. Eliminate them by adding the force equations and substituting T1-T2 from the torque equation.
$$\left\{\begin{array}{l} (\rm 1)~2mg-T_1=2ma \\ (\rm 2)~T_2-mg\sin\theta-mg\mu\cos\theta=ma \end{array}\right.$$
$$(\rm 1)+(\rm 2),~T_2-T_1=-\frac{1}{2}ma:~~a=\frac{2}{7}(2-\sin\theta-\mu\cos\theta)g$$

Karol said:
$$\left\{\begin{array}{l} (\rm 1)~2mg-T_1=2ma \\ (\rm 2)~T_2-mg\sin\theta-mg\mu\cos\theta=ma \end{array}\right.$$
$$(\rm 1)+(\rm 2),~T_2-T_1=-\frac{1}{2}ma:~~a=\frac{2}{7}(2-\sin\theta-\mu\cos\theta)g$$
Correct!

Thanks Ehild, Simon and Haruspex

Related to 2 masses, a massive pulley and an inclined surface

1. What is the relationship between the two masses in this system?

The two masses in this system are connected by a string or rope, and they have a direct proportional relationship. This means that if one mass increases, the other mass will also increase, and if one mass decreases, the other mass will also decrease.

2. How does the mass of the pulley affect the overall motion of the system?

The mass of the pulley does not affect the overall motion of the system. The pulley simply acts as a means to change the direction of the force and does not contribute any additional forces or affect the motion of the masses.

3. What is the role of the inclined surface in this system?

The inclined surface provides a change in elevation and creates a different angle for the gravitational force to act on the masses. This results in the masses moving at an angle rather than straight down, and the angle of the inclined surface also affects the acceleration of the masses.

4. Can the system reach a state of equilibrium?

Yes, the system can reach a state of equilibrium where the two masses are no longer moving. This occurs when the forces acting on the masses are balanced, and there is no net acceleration. This can happen when the angle of the inclined surface is adjusted or when the masses are equal in size.

5. What factors affect the acceleration of the masses in this system?

The acceleration of the masses is affected by the angle of the inclined surface, the mass of the masses, and the force of gravity. The greater the angle of the inclined surface, the greater the acceleration of the masses, and the greater the mass of the masses, the slower the acceleration will be. The force of gravity also plays a role in the acceleration, as a greater force will result in a greater acceleration.