2 internal reflection questions

In summary, the first problem involves using the index of refraction and Snell's law to determine the maximum angle for total internal reflection in a pipe. The second problem involves using right triangle trigonometry to find the depth of a cylindrical tank when given an angle and a side length.
Pepsi24chevy
One of my problems reads,
1. Determine the maximum angle for which the light rays incident on the end of the pipe in Figure P35.38 are subject to total internal reflection along the walls of the pipe. Assume that the pipe has an index of refraction of 1.40 and the outside medium is air.

http://www.webassign.net/pse/p35-38.gif

Now i thought using snells law of refraction would give me the answer by, n1sin(theta)= n2sin(90) and solve for the other sin but this isn't correct. I know that the index of refraction of the air is 1.

My other problem goes like, An opaque cylindrical tank with an open top has a diameter of 2.80 m and is completely filled with water. When the afternoon Sun reaches an angle of 27.0° above the horizon, sunlight ceases to illuminate any part of the bottom of the tank. How deep is the tank?

For this one I have no idea of how to set it up. My book doesn't even have a section that factors in any type of length measurement into this chapter.:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
You sound like you're on the right track with the first problem.

As for the second, you're given a side and an angle. Draw a picture and think about right triangle trig.

so for the second one, i am going to get a triangle with a base of 2.8 and a angle of 27 degrees. So I do tan(27)*2.8 and the H of the triangle? I am sure i am probably just setting this up wrong, but I dont' know.

Related to 2 internal reflection questions

1. What is internal reflection?

Internal reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when light strikes the boundary between two materials, where one is more optically dense than the other, at an angle greater than the critical angle. This causes the light to reflect back into the denser material instead of refracting through it.

2. How does internal reflection occur?

Internal reflection occurs when light travels from a more optically dense material, such as glass or water, to a less dense material, such as air, at an angle greater than the critical angle. This causes the light to reflect back into the denser material, resulting in internal reflection.

3. What is the critical angle in internal reflection?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which light will be refracted at an angle of 90 degrees, resulting in total internal reflection. It is determined by the refractive indices of the two materials at the boundary.

4. What are some practical applications of internal reflection?

Internal reflection has several practical applications, such as in fiber optics where light is transmitted through a fiber by multiple internal reflections. It is also used in reflective surfaces, such as mirrors and prisms, to redirect light. Internal reflection is also important in optical instruments, such as microscopes and telescopes.

5. Can internal reflection occur in all materials?

No, internal reflection can only occur in materials with different refractive indices at the boundary. If the refractive indices are the same, there will be no change in the direction of light and therefore, no internal reflection. This is why internal reflection is commonly seen in materials such as glass and water, but not in air or within the same material.