2-d kinematic w/non-constant acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up a differential equation for a moving charge with non-constant acceleration and force. The force applied is dependent on the position of the particle due to electromagnetic force. However, without an equation, the variables would have to be calculated separately per second, resulting in less accuracy.
rjs123

Homework Statement

I'm not sure how to set up the differential equation. I've got 2 point charges...both positive. One charge is fixed in position (0, -250m)...the other is traveling at an initial speed in the -x direction (10,000m, 0) with 0 acceleration. At time t=0, I calculated the force applied in the x and y direction on the moving charge...I know the acceleration, velocity, and position after 1 second using Newton's motion equations. The acceleration and force is non-constant in this situation...it starts at say -5 m/s^2 and then at say t=8 seconds will be at -60 m/s^2...then at t=9...the force in the x-direction will decrease... and then the acceleration will start dropping...-55 m/s^2 and so on. This transition happens before the moving charge crosses the origin.

Any help appreciated...thanks.

Differential equation will involve:

F = ma

a = dv/dt

I don't know how to set it up after this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So the force applied is tied to the position of the particle? Unless you know how it's tied to the position, it's pretty much impossible to create the equation. The info you gave is a bit messy. Try to simplify/clean it up a bit.

yes, the force applied depends upon its position since we are dealing with electromagnetic force. It seems without an equation given...I would have to calculate the variables separately per second, which won't be as accurate.

Related to 2-d kinematic w/non-constant acceleration

1. What is 2-d kinematics with non-constant acceleration?

2-d kinematics with non-constant acceleration is the study of motion in two dimensions (such as up/down and left/right) with an acceleration that changes over time. This can occur when an object experiences varying forces or when the direction of the velocity changes.

2. How is 2-d kinematics with non-constant acceleration different from 1-d kinematics?

In 1-d kinematics, the motion of an object is only studied in one dimension (such as left/right or up/down) with a constant or uniform acceleration. In contrast, 2-d kinematics with non-constant acceleration takes into account the changes in acceleration and motion in two dimensions.

3. What are some examples of objects that experience 2-d kinematics with non-constant acceleration?

Some examples include a projectile launched at an angle, a car turning on a curved road, or a roller coaster moving on a track with varying slopes and curves.

4. How is the motion of an object described in 2-d kinematics with non-constant acceleration?

In 2-d kinematics with non-constant acceleration, the motion of an object is described using vector quantities such as position, velocity, and acceleration in both the x and y directions. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the object's motion.

5. What equations are used to solve problems in 2-d kinematics with non-constant acceleration?

The equations of motion used in 2-d kinematics with non-constant acceleration are similar to those used in 1-d kinematics, but they also take into account the changes in acceleration and motion in two dimensions. These equations include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in both the x and y directions.