2 Blocks Stacked, Pullied, Bottom Accelerating, Newton's 3rd

In summary: Oh.. thats just a typo I think, on my paper I had it written correctly.I believe the top block would be -a.Fixed:Fx1=μkm1g-T=m1aFx2=F-T-μk(m2g+m1g)-μk(m2g+m1g)=m2aFx1=μkm1g-T=m1aFx2=F-T-μk(m2g+m1g)-μk(m2g+m1g)=m2aVery good. Now combine them. (You can do that.)Very good. Now combine them. (You can do that.)In summary, the problem involves finding the acceleration of
myxomatosii
Unfortunately this is due today, I will go work on another problem and watch these boards.
And its not a last minute thing, I have been working on this since it was assigned... :cry:

Homework Statement

The lower block in Figure P8.28 is pulled on by a rope with a tension force of F = 28 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the surface is 0.34. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the upper block is also 0.34. What is the acceleration of the 2.0 kg block?

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6212/abaabab.gif

Homework Equations

F=ma
fkkn

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew out my free-body diagrams. Here are the formulas I gained from them (if they were right).

m1 (Top Mass)

Fx1=fk2 on 1-T2 on 1

Fy1=n1-m1g

m2 (Bottom Mass)

Fx2=F-T1 on 2-fk1 on 2-fk2

Fy2=n2-mg-n1 on 2

etc etc etc...

Question is, after I have formulas

T2 on 1k(m2g+m1g)

T1 on 2=F-μkm1g-μk(m2g+m1g)

T2 on 1 is coming out to be 9.996N

while

T1 on 2 is coming out 14.672N

Am I missing something? They are connected so would the tensions not be the same? I am thinking I have a concept mixed up or are they not supposed to be the same?

Anyway I ask because I tried to use formula Fx2=m2ax2 and it gave me the wrong acceleration, so I am curious if anyone can see my problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's only one tension in the rope, of course. You need that assumption to solve for the acceleration and the tension, so I don't know how you managed to solve for the tensions.

I suspect a sign error. Show your Newton's 2nd law equations for both masses. What is the relationship between the accelerations of the two masses?

Doc Al said:
There's only one tension in the rope, of course. You need that assumption to solve for the acceleration and the tension, so I don't know how you managed to solve for the tensions.

You have confirmed what I thought, I knew my tensions were wrong.. I'm going to look over things.

Doc Al said:
I suspect a sign error. Show your Newton's 2nd law equations for both masses.

Sorry, I am unsure of which part of the equation you are asking for, I don't typically hear parts of my problem described that way.

I thought I included almost all of my work other than the free-bodies above?

Doc Al said:
What is the relationship between the accelerations of the two masses?

The two masses accelerations of course are bound to each other, if the bottom block moves at 1m/s^2, the top block will as well.

Last edited:
AHHHHH!I was setting the F=ma=0

As if my acceleration was zero to solve for the tensions..stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid!

ok, I'm going to lay out my a=F/m and see what it looks like, i have a feeling its going to just confuse me even more since i see that the tensions are going to be in the middle of the acceleration equation and I'm still not going to know them

Last edited:
myxomatosii said:
AHHHHH!

I was setting the F=ma=0

As if my acceleration was zero to solve for the tensions..
D'oh!

ok, I'm going to lay out my a=F/m and see what it looks like, i have a feeling its going to just confuse me even more since i see that the tensions are going to be in the middle of the acceleration equation and I'm still not going to know them
Write your equations in the form:
∑F = ma

You'll have two unknowns and two equations--which works out fine. (Hint: Combine them so as to eliminate the tension.)

Be careful with signs. Hint: Assume the bottom mass has an acceleration of a to the right.

Doc Al said:
D'oh!

∑F = ma

You'll have two unknowns and two equations--which works out fine. (Hint: Combine them so as to eliminate the tension.)

Be careful with signs. Hint: Assume the bottom mass has an acceleration of a to the right.

Ok my equations for acceleration are.

ax1=(fk21-T21)/m1

ax2=(F-T12-fk12-fk2)/m2

Yet I am still unsure of the values of T12 and 21.

I know that the accelerations both have to be the same.. I know that both tensions have to be the same.. could I create some sort of equation with (m1+m2)

Sec, I'll try it and see if I come up with anything.. assuming it can be done? Idk. Just thinking..

myxomatosii said:
Ok my equations for acceleration are.

ax1=(fk21-T21)/m1

ax2=(F-T12-fk12-fk2)/m2
Please rewrite your equations in the form I suggested. Call the acceleration of the bottom block a. (Don't clutter your equations with uneeded subscripts.)

Yet I am still unsure of the values of T12 and 21.
For one thing, call the single tension by a single symbol: T.

a=(fk21-T)/m1

a=(F-T-fk12-fk2)/m2

∑F = ma

(not a = ∑F/m)

And express those friction forces in terms of μ, m, and g.

Doc Al said:
∑F = ma

(not a = ∑F/m)

And express those friction forces in terms of μ, m, and g.

Fx1km1g-T

Fx2=F-T-μk(m2g+m1g)-μk(m2g+m1g)

myxomatosii said:
Fx1km1g-T

Fx2=F-T-μk(m2g+m1g)-μk(m2g+m1g)
What happened to the "ma" part?

Doc Al said:
What happened to the "ma" part?

Fx1km1g-T=m1a

Fx2=F-T-μk(m2g+m1g)-μk(m2g+m1g)=m2a

Like that? I just left it as F before since they mean the same thing.

myxomatosii said:
Fx1km1g-T=m1a

Fx2=F-T-μk(m2g+m1g)-μk(m2g+m1g)=m2a
Two comments:

(1) Sign problem in your first equation. You are using a convention of right = positive, left = negative. Good! But if the acceleration of the bottom block is +a, what's the acceleration of the top block?

(2) One of your friction forces in your second is incorrect. (Too many masses.)

Doc Al said:
Two comments:

(1) Sign problem in your first equation. You are using a convention of right = positive, left = negative. Good! But if the acceleration of the bottom block is +a, what's the acceleration of the top block?

(2) One of your friction forces in your second is incorrect. (Too many masses.)

Fx1km1g-T=m1(-a)

Fx2=F-T-μk(m1g)-μk(m2g+m1g)=m2a

I see what you are saying, how is this?

myxomatosii said:
μkm1g-T=m1(-a)

F-T-μk(m1g)-μk(m2g+m1g)=m2a

I see what you are saying, how is this?
Perfect. So how can you combine those equations to eliminate T?

Doc Al said:
Perfect. So how can you combine those equations to eliminate T?

I'll work this out really fast, thanks for your quick responses! I'll edit this post and add my formula once I get it.

edit: Okay so T=am1km1g

I plug this into the larger equation and solve for a?

another edit: I tried what I mentioned above and came up with. Oh wait I think I may have messed up a sign..

a=(F-μk(m2g+m1g))/(m2+m1m2)

maybe it should be

a=(F-2(μkm1g)-μk(m2g+m1g))/(m2+m1m2)

2.268m/s2, that doesn't seem too outrageous.

Last edited:
myxomatosii said:
edit: Okay so T=am1km1g

I plug this into the larger equation and solve for a?
That will work. Another way to eliminate T is to subtract one equation from the other.

another edit: I tried what I mentioned above and came up with. Oh wait I think I may have messed up a sign..

a=(F-μk(m2g+m1g))/(m2+m1m2)

maybe it should be

a=(F-2(μkm1g)-μk(m2g+m1g))/(m2+m1m2)
Both are incorrect, but the second one is almost there. Your mistake is in the denominator.

Also, simplify that expression a bit. Combine like terms.

I had kept refreshing that other page and didn't see that it had scrolled over to the second page.. give me a minute to get it back out.

edit: new equation, starting over i have

a=((F-μkm1g-am1)/m2) + μkg

edit 2:then solving for "a" i get..

a=((F-μkm1g)/(m2(1+m1)) - μkg

This equation gives 2.835 m/s2

Last edited:
myxomatosii said:
edit: new equation, starting over i have

a=((F-μkm1g-am1)/m2) + μkg

edit 2:then solving for "a" i get..

a=((F-μkm1g)/(m2(1+m1)) - μkg
Still not quite right. When you get terms like 1 + m or m + m², you know something must be wrong since the units don't match.

Try my idea: Subtract your initial two equations to eliminate T, then solve the resulting equation for a.

This was a big mess, deleted and continued below.

Last edited:
Your final formula is incorrect. You've made several errors along the way, but since you have edit on top of edit, it's difficult to know what to comment on.

Why don't you edit the entire thing so that all your errors are corrected. Then indicate when you are done.

-2a = (2(μkm1g)-F+μkm2g) / (m1-m2)

This is wrong?

Last edited:
myxomatosii said:
-2a = (2(μkm1g)-F+μkm2g) / (m1-m2)

This is wrong?
Yes, it's wrong. The closest you've come is the version that I said was almost there in post 17. That only has a single mistake in the denominator.

Comments on the current version:
Where did the factor of 2 come in on the left side?

How did you get m1 - m2?

Doc Al said:
Yes, it's wrong. The closest you've come is the version that I said was almost there in post 17. That only has a single mistake in the denominator.

Oh, I can't see it because I don't know what I did wrong, that's why I took a different approach with the subtraction method you said, I'm still not quite sure I had the idea right.
Doc Al said:
Comments on the current version:
Where did the factor of 2 come in on the left side?

How did you get m1 - m2?
It made sense at the time but it does not belong, I was thinking I had 2 "a"s when in fact I was just "undistributing".a = (2(μkm1g)-F+μk(m2g+m1g) / (m1-m2)

That one feels solid to me, I know it isn't but I can't seem to find the hole I made..
Doc Al said:
How did you get m1 - m2?

Well on the left when I subtracted ..

am1-am2=[the equation for m1 you said was good]-[the equation for m2 you said was good]

I tried to solve for a and I did this ..

a(m1-m2)=[the equation for m1 you said was good]-[the equation for m2 you said was good]

Then I had to get it on the other side.

Last edited:
Anyway, thanks for trying to help me, I just didn't get it.

I did try though, I was supposed to be at work 3 hours and 10 minutes ago and I'm only leaving now.. lol.

So yea, thanks and what can I say? Oh well.

You just need to take it slow and easy. I'd be able to point out your error in two seconds if you just wrote, step by step, what you did and left it alone without editing.
myxomatosii said:
Well on the left when I subtracted ..

am1-am2=[the equation for m1 you said was good]-[the equation for m2 you said was good]
But you are really subtracting [-m1a] - [m2a], not [m1a] - [m2a]. (That's probably your main error.)

If you just do the subtraction carefully, making sure your signs are correct, you'll be fine.

Doc Al said:
You just need to take it slow and easy. I'd be able to point out your error in two seconds if you just wrote, step by step, what you did and left it alone without editing.
But you are really subtracting [-m1a] - [m2a], not [m1a] - [m2a]. (That's probably your main error.)

If you just do the subtraction carefully, making sure your signs are correct, you'll be fine.

I'm going to look back on this when I have time. I do realize how urgent it is for me to realize and memorize what you just said in order not to make that same error again. Physics is very cumulative.. we all know, plus I want to be able to help others out on the forums.

Anyway, I will keep in mind what you said about showing all of my work next time Doc~

Thanks =)

Doc Al said:

I believe you pointed that out earlier in the problem that I had messed up the signs with my acceleration. Then it appears I did it again in the same problem, doh!

Related to 2 Blocks Stacked, Pullied, Bottom Accelerating, Newton's 3rd

1. What is "2 Blocks Stacked, Pullied, Bottom Accelerating, Newton's 3rd"?

"2 Blocks Stacked, Pullied, Bottom Accelerating, Newton's 3rd" is a common physics problem that involves two blocks stacked on top of each other, connected by a pulley system, and the bottom block is accelerating due to an external force. This problem is used to demonstrate Newton's Third Law of Motion.

2. What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words, when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force on the first object.

3. How does the pulley system in this problem affect the forces on the blocks?

The pulley system in this problem changes the direction of the forces acting on the blocks, but it does not change their magnitude. The force applied on one block will be transmitted through the pulley and exerted on the other block in the opposite direction.

4. What is the significance of the bottom block accelerating in this problem?

The acceleration of the bottom block demonstrates Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In this case, the net force is the tension in the string and the mass is the combined mass of both blocks.

5. How can this problem be solved using Newton's Laws of Motion?

This problem can be solved by applying Newton's Second Law of Motion to both blocks and using Newton's Third Law of Motion to relate the forces between the two blocks. By setting up and solving a system of equations, the acceleration of the blocks and the tension in the string can be determined.