2 blocks sliding down a incline connected by string (check please)

In summary, two blocks with masses 4.0kg and 8.0 kg are connected by a string and slide down a 30 degree inclined plane with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.25 for the 4.0 kg block and 0.35 for the 8.0 kg block. The acceleration of each block is 2.775 m/s^2 for the 4.0 kg block and 1.4750 m/s^2 for the 8.0 kg block. The tension in the string is 3.5N and the common acceleration for both blocks is 1.9 m/s^2.
Seiya
Two blocks with masses 4.0kg and 8.0 kg are connected by a string and slide down a 30 degree inclined plane. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the 4.0 kg block and the plane is 0.25; that between the 8.0 kg block and the plane is 0.35
a) calculate the acceleration of each block

This part is easy i got it right, don't even need anyone to check it... 4 kg = 2.775 , 8 kg =1.4750

used for both blocks : mgx-ff=ma

b) calculate the tension in the string

I said since the bottom block accelerates faster it will create a tension which means both blocks will be connected by a rigid string with a tension in it... so this means i could solve them as a system ... this is where i need someone to verify i did it right or if not correct me...

i said that

(mgx1+mgx2)-(ff1+ff2) = (m1+m2)a

They are connected so they will have a new a in common for both which comes out to 1.9 .

So now i can find the tension by using either box and the first equations trying to find their acceleration alone... instead now i have

(for the bottom box)

mgx-ff-T=m(1.9)

So i get T = 3.5N

if i use this t in a Newtons second law equation for the top one ill get 1.9 acceleration for it as well...

Can anyone let me know if i did any mistakes please? Thank you :) I really appreciate it

Physics news on Phys.org
the equations are
m1 g sin(theeta) - mu1 m1 g cos(theeta) - T = m1 a
and
m2 g sin(theeta) - mu2 m2 g cos(theeta) + T = m2 a
check your calculations
first for a2 and then for common a.
MP

i used this for the second part... if you look at my equation but i combined them together... am i wrong?(mgx1+mgx2)-(ff1+ff2) = (m1+m2)a

if you combine them the T's cancel but i can find the T by setting it in a separate equation? what's wrong with my method?

Thanks

No the method is not wrong, I told to check the calculations because I am gatting a different answer for acceleration for the second block alone and the commom acceleration.

Related to 2 blocks sliding down a incline connected by string (check please)

1. How does the incline angle affect the motion of the blocks?

The incline angle will affect the acceleration of the blocks as they slide down. A steeper incline will result in a higher acceleration and a faster descent, while a shallower incline will result in a lower acceleration and a slower descent.

2. What is the role of the string in this scenario?

The string serves as a connection between the two blocks and allows them to move together down the incline. It also helps to maintain a constant distance between the blocks, preventing any collisions or separation during the motion.

3. How do the masses of the blocks affect their motion?

The masses of the blocks will affect the overall inertia of the system and therefore, the acceleration. Heavier blocks will have a greater inertia and require more force to move, resulting in a slower descent down the incline compared to lighter blocks.

4. Is there a specific equation or formula to calculate the acceleration of the blocks?

Yes, the acceleration of the blocks can be calculated using the equation a = (m1-m2)gsinθ / (m1+m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the blocks, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the incline angle.

5. How does friction play a role in this scenario?

Friction between the blocks and the incline will act in the opposite direction of motion, slowing down the descent of the blocks. The amount of friction will depend on the coefficient of friction between the surfaces and the normal force exerted on the blocks by the incline.