Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting

In summary, Physicsforums.com has introduced the addition of LaTeX mathematical typesetting to their forum software. This professional-grade typesetting system allows for pleasing mathematical presentation and can be included in any post on the forum. Users can include LaTeX graphics by using the [ tex ]...[ /tex ] or [ itex ]...[ /itex ] tags, with the latter being used for inline graphics. The forum provides a pdf file and symbol reference for the most useful LaTeX commands, symbols, and constructs. The amsmath package is also available for more information. Examples of various techniques are provided, including subscripts, superscripts, and equations. Users can also use the [ tex usepackage= ] tag to include additional packages.
Is there a smaller triangle that goes well here? What's the command for the floor and ceiling functions? Am I spelling the command for omicron wrong, or is omicron identical to 'o' so there isn't a command?

[tex]\Delta x \triangle x[/tex]
[itex]\Delta x \triangle x[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]ab[/tex]
[tex]a b[/tex]
[tex]a\! b[/tex]
[tex]a\, b[/tex]
[tex]a\: b[/tex]
[tex]a\; b[/tex]

Originally posted by Hurkyl
Is there a smaller triangle that goes well here?

What do you want a triangle for?

What's the command for the floor and ceiling functions?

[tex]\lfloor x \rfloor, \lceil y \rceil[/tex]

Am I spelling the command for omicron wrong, or is omicron identical to 'o' so there isn't a command?

The latter.

'~' isn't really intended to add space in LaTeX; it's just like a regular space, except it's non-breaking (LaTeX won't try to insert a line break there).

[tex]f(x + \Delta x) = f(x) + f'(x) \Delta x + \varepsilon(\Delta x) \Delta x[/tex]

The triangle seems a little on the big side to me.

The triangle seems a little on the big side to me.

The triangle, or the letter Delta? If you mean the triangle, what are you trying to use it for?

Yes, it's the letter delta; I want to use it as one notates a differential or a difference, as in [itex]\Delta x[/itex] (my previous post is the theorem I wanted to state in a post; I copped out with [itex]\delta x[/itex] but I prefer the capital delta).

When I write it by hand, I usually write the delta as the same height as a lower case letter... but now that I've checked some reference material, it seems that the full-size is the norm; ah well. I'd still like to know if I can make a half sized one should I want to in a post. :smile:

It may not be too easy to get a small Delta of the correct size...

[tex]\Delta x[/tex]
[tex]\mbox{\small $\displaystyle\Delta$} x[/tex]

[itex]\frac{\mathbb{N}}{\mathbb{N}}=\mathbb{N}[/itex]why am I over here?

For some reason this image contains a lot of whitespace on my browser; the text is all on the right side of the message!

This LaTeX seems to be missing the Greek letter "omicron."

Originally posted by Loren Booda
This LaTeX seems to be missing the Greek letter "omicron."
All LaTeX is "missing" this character. The Greek omicron is exactly the same as the Roman 'o,' and thus has no special \omicron command. Just use 'o.' It's the same story with \Alpha and \Rho and so on.

- Warren

Hurkyl,

I'm not exactly sure why that's happening. Apprently it's the \frac command that's doing it, coupled with the way I crop inline images. (Inline images are cropped differently from display-mode images, so that they appear at the right location vertically). I'll have to do some more thorough experimenting next time I'm on the site. In the meantime, don't inline \frac I guess.

You can also inline it manual-style like this: [tex]\mbox{ \Large $ \frac{\mathbb{N}}{\mathbb{N}}=\mathbb{N} $}[/tex]. Doing so renders the image as inline-mode, but crops the image as display-mode (meaning it may not appear at the right position vertically). It works, but that's a bit ridiculous. I'll look into it next time I get the chance.

- Warren

One should probably use [itex]\mathbb{N}/\mathbb{N}[/itex] style fractions in inline text anyways, but a bug is still a bug!

Originally posted by Hurkyl
One should probably use [itex]\mathbb{N}/\mathbb{N}[/itex] style fractions in inline text anyways, but a bug is still a bug!

I agree with Hurkyl. fraction type [itex]\frac{\mathbb{N}}{\mathbb{N}}=\mathbb{N}[/itex] should only be used in equation ( or eqnarray), but while writing along with text we should use [itex]\mathbb{N}/\mathbb{N}[/itex]

cheers,
Nagaraj
/**********************/
VU3OGI is my HAM callsign
/**********************/

any ideas why this isn t working?

[tex]
\begin{multline*}
\tan^n \theta=\tan^{n-2}\theta \tan^2 \theta\\ =\tan^{n-2}\theta(\sec^2\theta-1)=\tan^{n-2}\theta\sec^2\theta-\tan^{n-2}\theta
\end{multline*}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Mainly because the environment is not called multiline, it's called multline (without the 'i'). Try this:

[tex]
\begin{multline*}
\tan^n \theta=\tan^{n-2}\theta \tan^2 \theta\\ =\tan^{n-2}\theta(\sec^2\theta-1)=\tan^{n-2}\theta\sec^2\theta-\tan^{n-2}\theta
\end{multline*}
[/tex]

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
Mainly because the environment is not called multiline, it's called multline (without the 'i'). Try this:

oops... i m an idiot.

thanks chroot.

How do I make a script P, such as is typically used in the notation for a power set [itex]P(X)[/itex]?

[tex]\mathcal{P}(X)[/tex]

Hi folks!

I'm just setting up a practice spot for myself here. Don't mind me. These will be changing/dissappearing as I get new thoughts, but feel free to watch my struggles.

[tex]
M^2 = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
M^2_{11} & M^2_{18}\\
M^2_{18} & M^2_{88}
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
M^2_{88} = \frac {1}{3} \left(4m^2_{K} - m^2_{\pi}\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
M^2_{11} = m^2_{\eta} + m^2_{\eta'} - M^2_{88}
[/tex]

[tex]
M^2_{18} = - \sqrt{(M^2_{88} - m^2_{\eta})(m^2_{\eta'} - M^2_{88})}
[/tex]

[tex]
\tan\theta_{P} = \frac {M^2_{88} - m^2_{\eta}}{M^2_{18}}
[/tex]

Dang this is freakin' cool!

[tex]
\begin{multline*}
\eta = \eta_{8}\cos\theta_{P} - \eta_{1}\sin\theta_{P}\\
\eta' = \eta_{8}\sin\theta_{p} + \eta_{1}\cos\theta_{P}
\end{multline*}
[/tex]

[tex]
\eta_{1} = \frac {u\bar{u} + d\bar{d} + s\bar{s}}{\sqrt{3}},
\eta_{8} = \frac {u\bar{u} + d\bar{d} - 2s\bar{s}}{\sqrt{6}}
[/tex]

I just can't stop...

[tex]
\nu_e
[/tex]

[tex]
\nu_e\bar
[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]\neq[/tex]

What would be the symbol for 'not equivalent to' and how would you represent it in latex?

Last edited:
Wouldn't it just be a crossed equivalent sign (or is that stronger than 'not equivalent to'?)? which I can't seem to get that anyway.

[tex]\nequiv \notequiv[/tex]

[tex]\not\equiv[/tex]

thanks!

I was looking at a table of glyphs used in maths and it had that sign as 'not identical to' is that interchangable with 'not equivalent to' or can the sign mena both things?

The symbol can be read as either "identical" or "equivalent".

By the way, I never answered this...

Originally posted by chroot
Can you tell me why the font size is different between these two images?

[itex]\int_{a}^{b}} e^x dx[/itex]

[itex]e^x = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} (1+x/n)^n[/itex]

Look at the TeX for the first one: it has an extra closing curly brace }. Thus, since the TeX expression is being implicitly enclosed within \inline{...}, that extra brace closes the inline, and the e^x dx is not inlined.

You don't need the curly braces here anyway... it should just be [itex]\int_a^b e^x\,dx[/itex].

Wow this is awesome, but is there a sperate program or way that I can do the Math Typesetting offline or find it as a standard software? I would like to be able to type out some mathematical notes for my self since my hand writing is a bit sloppy and my notebook becomes incoherent...

Originally posted by phnatomAI
Wow this is awesome, but is there a sperate program or way that I can do the Math Typesetting offline or find it as a standard software? I would like to be able to type out some mathematical notes for my self since my hand writing is a bit sloppy and my notebook becomes incoherent...

You can use MiKTeX if you use Windows. If you use Linux, your distro should already have TeX and LaTeX software.

im kinda slow, andim not that advanced, so I am tryin lil things. but i like this thing, ima be the only person in my class with a fully typed physics report.

[itex]f_{x}=f\cos\theta[/itex]

Last edited:
Originally posted by master_coda
You can use MiKTeX if you use Windows. If you use Linux, your distro should already have TeX and LaTeX software.

I installed it but how do I use it? Do I just go to notepad and type up and save it as a .dvi file?

Originally posted by phnatomAI
I installed it but how do I use it? Do I just go to notepad and type up and save it as a .dvi file?

You type it up in a regular text file, then save it with a .tex extension. Then, you need to compile it by typing "latex file" (no quotes, in Windows, at a DOS prompt, in the directory where the file is saved), where file.tex is the thing you just saved. This will generate a DVI file. With Miktex, you can then type "yap file", which opens the Yap DVI viewer.

Alternatively, you can output to a PDF file by typing "pdflatex file" at the prompt.

Unfortunately, LaTeX has a rather stiff learning curve.

Fortunately, there are 4.9 gabillion webpages to help you out. Just google around for some sample documents.

- Warren

can we make feynman diagrams?

[tex] \begin{fmfchar*}(40,25)
\fmfleft{em,ep}
\fmf{fermion}{em,Zee,ep}
\fmf{photon,label=$Z$}{Zee,Zff}
\fmf{fermion}{fb,Zff,f}
\fmfright{fb,f}______
\fmfdot{Zee,Zff}
\end{fmfchar*}[/tex]

<h2>1. What is LaTeX Math Typesetting?</h2><p>LaTeX Math Typesetting is a typesetting language used for creating and formatting mathematical equations and expressions in documents. It is widely used in the scientific and academic communities for its ability to produce high-quality and professional-looking math equations.</p><h2>2. How is it different from other typesetting languages?</h2><p>Unlike traditional word processing software, LaTeX Math Typesetting uses a markup language to create equations, rather than a graphical user interface. This allows for more precise and consistent formatting, as well as the ability to easily create complex equations and symbols.</p><h2>3. Do I need to be a programmer to use LaTeX Math Typesetting?</h2><p>No, you do not need to be a programmer to use LaTeX Math Typesetting. While some knowledge of coding may be helpful for more advanced formatting, there are many resources and templates available to help beginners get started with creating equations in LaTeX.</p><h2>4. Can I use LaTeX Math Typesetting in any document?</h2><p>Yes, LaTeX Math Typesetting can be used in a variety of document types, including academic papers, presentations, and even online platforms. It is compatible with most operating systems and can be easily integrated into other document creation software.</p><h2>5. Where can I learn more about using LaTeX Math Typesetting?</h2><p>There are many online resources available for learning LaTeX Math Typesetting, including tutorials, forums, and user guides. Additionally, many universities and institutions offer workshops and courses on using LaTeX for scientific and mathematical writing.</p>

1. What is LaTeX Math Typesetting?

LaTeX Math Typesetting is a typesetting language used for creating and formatting mathematical equations and expressions in documents. It is widely used in the scientific and academic communities for its ability to produce high-quality and professional-looking math equations.

2. How is it different from other typesetting languages?

Unlike traditional word processing software, LaTeX Math Typesetting uses a markup language to create equations, rather than a graphical user interface. This allows for more precise and consistent formatting, as well as the ability to easily create complex equations and symbols.

3. Do I need to be a programmer to use LaTeX Math Typesetting?

No, you do not need to be a programmer to use LaTeX Math Typesetting. While some knowledge of coding may be helpful for more advanced formatting, there are many resources and templates available to help beginners get started with creating equations in LaTeX.

4. Can I use LaTeX Math Typesetting in any document?

Yes, LaTeX Math Typesetting can be used in a variety of document types, including academic papers, presentations, and even online platforms. It is compatible with most operating systems and can be easily integrated into other document creation software.

5. Where can I learn more about using LaTeX Math Typesetting?

There are many online resources available for learning LaTeX Math Typesetting, including tutorials, forums, and user guides. Additionally, many universities and institutions offer workshops and courses on using LaTeX for scientific and mathematical writing.