Force on Particle Attached to Springs: Explained

In summary: I am not sure how you got that answer, it is not the one I got.In summary, when a particle of mass m is attached to 2 identical springs on a horizontal frictionless table, each with spring constant k and unstretched length L, and pulled a distance x perpendicular to the initial configuration of the springs, the force exerted on the particle due to the springs is F= -2kx(1-(L/(x^2+L^2)^.5))i. This can be derived by considering the two springs as a single spring with a total stretch of √(L2+ x2)-L and calculating the perpendicular force component, which is then doubled to account for both springs.
FOBoi1122
A particle of mass m is attatched to 2 identical springs on a horizontal frictionless table. both springs have spring constant k and an unstretched length L the particle is pulled a distance x along a direction perpindicular to the initial configuration of the springs, show that the force exerted on the particle due to the springs is

F= -2kx(1-(L/(x^2+L^2)^.5))i

please help us, we've tried to use f=-kxcos(theta), where cos(theta) = x/(x^2+L^2) but we are unable to determine why x = (x^2+L^2)^.5 - L which is needed to solve the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem itself is not clear. I could interpret this as two springs in series with the "particle" attached at the end or with the two springs both attached to a wall and the particle between them.

Since in the first case it would be simpler to treat the two springs as a single spring, I suspect the second is intended.

It also is not stated clearly, but I will assume it, that the two springs are attached at points 2L apart so that the springs start in equilibrium position with the particle between them.

Now, as the particle is moved perpendicular to the wall, a distance x, we see two congruent right triangles. One leg is of Length L (from point of attachment to center) and the other is of length x so the hypotenuse has length √(L2+ x2). The hypotenuse is, of course, the full stretched length of one spring so the amount of stretch is √(L2+ x2)-L.

The total force due to one spring is k√(L2+ x2)-L but this is directed toward the point of attachment. If we break that into components, parallel and perpendicular to the wall, we see that the parallel forces of the two springs cancel each other while the ones perpendicular to the wall add.

You are correct that the pependicular force for each spring is F (x/√(L2+ x2)so the total force is twice that: (2k√(L2+ x2)-L)(x/√(L2+ x2).

The answer you give is that, with -i since it is directed back toward the wall.

The force exerted on the particle due to the springs can be determined by considering the equilibrium of forces acting on the particle. Since the table is frictionless, the only forces acting on the particle are the forces exerted by the springs.

First, let's consider the forces exerted by each spring individually. Since the springs are identical, they will exert equal and opposite forces on the particle. Let's call these forces F1 and F2, with F1 acting in the positive x-direction and F2 acting in the negative x-direction.

Now, let's break down each of these forces into their x and y-components. The x-component of F1 can be calculated using the trigonometric relationship cos(theta) = x/(x^2+L^2), where theta is the angle between the x-axis and the line connecting the particle to the equilibrium point of the spring. Similarly, the x-component of F2 can be calculated as -cos(theta).

Next, we can use Hooke's Law to express the magnitude of each force in terms of the displacement x. Since each spring has a spring constant k and an unstretched length L, the magnitude of F1 and F2 can be written as kx and -kx, respectively.

Now, to find the total force exerted on the particle, we simply need to add the x-components of F1 and F2, which gives us:

F = kx(-cos(theta) + cos(theta))

= -2kx(cos(theta))

= -2kx(x/(x^2+L^2))

= -2kx(1-(L/(x^2+L^2)^.5))

Therefore, the force exerted on the particle due to the springs is F= -2kx(1-(L/(x^2+L^2)^.5))i, where i is the unit vector in the x-direction. This is the same result that was given in the problem statement.

I hope this explanation helps you understand why x = (x^2+L^2)^.5 - L is needed to solve the problem. It comes from the trigonometric relationship cos(theta) = x/(x^2+L^2), which is used to calculate the x-component of the force exerted by each spring.

1. What is the definition of force on a particle attached to springs?

The force on a particle attached to springs is the sum of all the forces acting on the particle, including the force from the spring. This force can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

2. How does the force on a particle attached to springs affect its motion?

The force on a particle attached to springs can either accelerate or decelerate the particle depending on the direction of the force. If the force is in the same direction as the particle's motion, it will accelerate the particle. If the force is in the opposite direction, it will decelerate the particle.

3. What factors affect the force on a particle attached to springs?

The force on a particle attached to springs is affected by the spring's stiffness, the displacement of the spring from equilibrium, and the mass of the particle. The stiffer the spring, the greater the force. The greater the displacement, the greater the force. And the greater the mass of the particle, the greater the force needed to accelerate it.

4. How does the force on a particle attached to springs change over time?

The force on a particle attached to springs can change over time as the displacement of the spring changes. As the spring moves further from or closer to its equilibrium position, the force will change accordingly. Additionally, if the particle is in motion, the force may also change due to changes in velocity or direction.

5. Can the force on a particle attached to springs ever be zero?

Yes, the force on a particle attached to springs can be zero if the spring is at its equilibrium position and the particle is at rest. In this case, the force from the spring is balanced by other forces acting on the particle, resulting in a net force of zero. However, if the particle is in motion, there will always be some force acting on it, even if it is very small.