Permutations and Transpositions

In summary, the conversation discusses an example in which a cycle of symbols can be written as a product of transpositions. The question is to express the permutation (23) on the set S = {1,2,3,4,5} as a product of transpositions. The conversation goes on to discuss different ways to approach this, including using an algorithmic procedure and using the fact that each transposition must have '1' in it. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the method used in the example may not necessarily be based on the given definition, but rather just a helpful example.
wubie
Hello,

I am a little confused about an example. By definition,

A cycle of m symbols CAN be written as a product of m - 1 transpositions.

(x1 x2 x3 ... xn) = (x1 x2)(x1 x3)...(x1 xn)

Now

Express the permutation (23) on S = {1,2,3,4,5} as a product of transpositions.

(23) = (12) o (23) o (13) = (12) o (13) o (12)

I can see how it works. But based on the def. I don't see how they came up with the answer. I know this is simple but I don't see it. What the hey?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little confused; (2, 3) is a product of transpositions...

can you provide a little more of the context?

I am confused too.

This is in Schaum's Outlines of Modern Abstract Algebra. It is in Chapter 2: Relations and Operations, under the section Permutations.

The question/ example above is exactly as it is in the book.
I know that a permutation can be expressed as a product of transpositions. And that there can be more than one way to express a permutation as a product of transpositions. I think that is what they are trying to show.

However I don't understand the method in which they selected these particular transpositions to express the permutation (23). I can see that it works out. But why/how did they know that (23) was a product of the above transpositions? Trial and error?

Ah, an example; it makes more sense now.

Anyways, I can see an algorithmic procedure that gives you the second example, but I'm tongue-tied trying to explain it... if you limit yourself to the condition that each transposition must have '1' in it, you could probably figure the procedure out for yourself.

I can motivate the first one from products of transpositions:
(12) (23) = (23) (13)
so
(23) = (12) (23) (13)

then again, they might simply just be examples without expecting any motivation.

It just confused me since the way they got the product of transpositions for (23) wasn't based on the defintion.

(x1 x2 x3 ... xn) = (x1 x2)(x1 x3)...(x1 xn)

I mean, using the def. I couldn't see how one could come up with

(23) = (12) o (23) o (13) = (12) o (13) o (12).

Thanks Hurkyl.

1. What is the difference between permutations and transpositions?

Permutations refer to the rearrangement of a set of elements in a specific order, while transpositions involve swapping two elements within a set without changing the order of the other elements.

2. How do you calculate the number of possible permutations?

The number of possible permutations can be calculated using the formula n! (n factorial), where n represents the number of elements in the set. For example, if there are 4 elements, there can be 4! = 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24 possible permutations.

3. Can you give an example of a permutation?

One example of a permutation is the arrangement of letters in a word. For instance, the word "cat" has 3 letters, therefore there are 3! = 3 x 2 x 1 = 6 possible permutations: cat, act, atc, tca, tac, and cta.

4. How are permutations and combinations related?

Permutations and combinations are related in that both involve selecting and arranging elements from a set. However, permutations refer to the arrangement of elements in a specific order, while combinations do not consider the order of the elements.

5. What are some real-world applications of permutations and transpositions?

Permutations and transpositions have many applications in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. In mathematics, they are used to solve problems related to probability and counting. In computer science, they are used in encryption algorithms to scramble data. In statistics, they are used in analyzing data and conducting experiments.