How can we represent the infinite powerset of a set?"

• Thread starter Organic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of powersets and their representation using binary notation. However, there are some errors and misunderstandings in the notation and ideas presented. The conversation also touches on the concept of a bijection between natural numbers and real numbers, and the use of open intervals, but these concepts are not fully explained or accurate.
Organic
Let us check these lists.

P(2) = {{},{0},{1},{0,1}} = 2^2 = 4

and also can be represented as:

P(3) = {{},{0},{1},{2},{0,1},{0,2},{1,2},{0,1,2}} = 2^3 = 8

P(aleph0) = 2^aleph0 = |R|

aleph0
^
|
|
0(...--> aleph0)0
0(...--> aleph0)1
0(...--> aleph0)0
0(...--> aleph0)1
1(...--> aleph0)0
1(...--> aleph0)1
1(...--> aleph0)0
1(...--> aleph0)1
|
|
v
aleph0

We can find a bijection between N and R by this way:

Code:
aleph0
^
|
|
7 <--> 0.0(...--> aleph0)0
5 <--> 0.0(...--> aleph0)1
3 <--> 0.0(...--> aleph0)0
1 <--> 0.0(...--> aleph0)1
2 <--> 0.1(...--> aleph0)0
4 <--> 0.1(...--> aleph0)1
6 <--> 0.1(...--> aleph0)0
8 <--> 0.1(...--> aleph0)1
|
|
v
aleph0

Therefore 2^aleph0 = aleph0

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
But there is another thing that i have found.

We still be able to use Cantor's function and get some number which is not in the list.

For example:

aleph0
^
|
|
0.0,x23,x33,x43,... ,0
0.0,x21,x31,x41,... ,1
0.1,x22,x32,x42,... ,0
0.1,x24,x34,x44,... ,1
|
|
v
aleph0

Our new result, which is not in the list, is the opposite of 0.0,x22,x33,x44,...

So in this point we are maybe in a logical disaster.

I think the sulotion is to use the idea of the open interval on a single number.

For example:

[0.x1,x2,x3,x4,... ,1)

More information you can find here:

http://www.geocities.com/complementarytheory/RiemannsBall.pdf

Last edited:
Originally posted by Organic
Let us check these lists.

P(2) = {{},{0},{1},{0,1}} = 2^2 = 4

I am not an expert in set theory but doesn't {}={0}=0 and so it would be useless to write it in different ways?

Hi loop quantum gravity,

{{}} = {0}

[itex]\{ \} \neq \{ 0 \}[/itex]. In general, [itex]0 \neq \{ \}[/itex], but some models (including the one typically used in set theory) do make that identification.

Organic: you're missing a very important fact about the ordering structure of the integers:

If a sequence of integers has a first element and a last element, then the sequence is finite.

By definition, the digits in a decimal expansion are indexed by integers...

This means that:

0.0,x23,x33,x43,... ,0

(which I'm assuming is supposed to be some real number written in b-ary1 notation) cannot have an infinite number of digits.

Similarly

0(...--> aleph0)0

cannot be a sequence2 of binary digits.

(by this notation I'm assuming you mean that there are countably infinite numbers between the first 0 and the last 0)

Also,

7 <--> 0.0(...--> aleph0)0

cannot be a binary expansion of a real number.

(again I'm assuming that this notation means there are countably infinite numbers between the first and last digit)

Furthermore

The notation [itex]P(A)[/itex] requires [itex]A[/itex] to be a set. You should be saying [itex]P(\{ 0, 1\})[/itex] instead of [itex]P(2)[/itex], and you should definitely be saying [itex]P(\mathbb{N})[/itex] instead of [itex]P(\aleph_0)[/itex]. (That is, assuming I understand correctly what you mean)

Moreover

the way you are listing the elements of the powerset of a finite set does not generalize to an infinite set. In particular, every element of the list:

Code:

has a finite number of ones. This is only a representation of the finite subsets of [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex].

Additionally

I think the sulotion is to use the idea of the open interval on a single number.

For example:

[0.x1,x2,x3,x4,... ,1)

This is NOT the idea of an open interval. You should tell us what this means or stop using it.

footnotes:

1: b-ary means base-b representation. e.g. binary is 2-ary, decimal is 10-ary

2: Unless otherwise specified, a sequence is indexed by some segment the natural numbers.

Last edited:

1. How do we define the powerset of a set?

The powerset of a set is defined as the set of all possible subsets of that set, including the empty set and the set itself.

2. Why is it important to represent the infinite powerset of a set?

Representing the infinite powerset of a set is important in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in set theory, probability, and computer science. It allows us to analyze and manipulate large sets of data in a more organized and efficient manner.

3. Can we represent the infinite powerset of a set using a finite number of elements?

No, the infinite powerset of a set cannot be represented using a finite number of elements. This is because the powerset contains all possible combinations of elements from the original set, which is infinitely large.

4. How can we represent the infinite powerset of an infinite set?

The infinite powerset of an infinite set can be represented using a mathematical concept known as transfinite numbers. These numbers extend the concept of infinity to represent the size of certain infinite sets, including the powerset of an infinite set.

5. Are there any practical applications for representing the infinite powerset of a set?

Yes, there are many practical applications for representing the infinite powerset of a set. For example, in computer science, the powerset is used to represent the possible states of a system, and in probability, it is used to calculate the likelihood of certain events occurring.