Could New Pulsar Discoveries Lead to Direct Detection of Cosmic Gravity Waves?

In summary, a discovery made with CSIRO's Parkes radio telescope may bring the day when astronomers directly detect cosmic gravity waves closer. The observation provides more evidence for theories and raises questions about dark matter, dark energy, and the granularity of spacetime.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4 dec 2003.

http://www.physlink.com/News/120403PulsarGravity.cfm

A discovery made with CSIRO's Parkes radio telescope in eastern Australia may have brought forward the day when astronomers will directly detect cosmic gravity waves for the first time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

i did not know which forum to post this article in as it
covers so many areas, i think it is exciting that that
observations are finding more and more fuel for the
theorists.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I saw the same announcement (on a different website) and posted it to Relativity! Still in Astronomy&Cosmology though.

I saw the same announcement (on a different website) and posted it to Relativity! Still in Astronomy&Cosmology though
--------------------------------------------------------------------
hi NEREID
i keep a watch for discoveries like the above ,or anything
that can give science a firm foundation, it seems to me that
this is the era for observation to confirm theory, who knowes
what new observational discoveries will reveal, dark matter
dark energy the granularity of spacetime, i just hope i am
around to witness them.

Me too

1. What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a type of stellar remnant that is created when a massive star undergoes a supernova explosion. It is composed almost entirely of neutrons and is extremely dense, with a mass greater than that of our sun packed into a sphere only about 12 miles in diameter.

2. What is the new discovery about neutron stars?

A recent discovery about neutron stars is that they can have a structure similar to an onion, with different layers of different densities. This was revealed through observations of a neutron star that underwent a "glitch," a sudden change in its rotation speed.

3. How was this new discovery made?

This discovery was made through a combination of observations from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory and the Green Bank Telescope in West Virginia. The Chandra data revealed changes in the X-ray emission from the neutron star, while the Green Bank Telescope detected changes in its radio emission.

4. What does this new discovery tell us about neutron stars?

This new discovery tells us that neutron stars have a more complex internal structure than previously thought. The layered structure suggests that the outermost layer of the neutron star's crust is solid, while the inner layers may be superfluid, able to flow without resistance.

5. How does this new discovery impact our understanding of neutron stars?

This new discovery has significant implications for our understanding of neutron stars and their behavior. It may help explain the mysterious glitches observed in some neutron stars, and it could also provide insight into the extreme conditions that exist within these incredibly dense objects.