Geometric Algebra: Explaining Commutators on Tri-Vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of commutators on bi-vectors and tri-vectors, as well as the transformation of vectors under exponentiation of a tri-vector. It also touches on the representation of vectors using complex numbers and the definition of exponentiation for linear operators. The commutator of a tri-vector is determined by ABC-BCA-CAB.
scariari
can anyone explain how commutators act on tri-vectors (in orthonormal conditions)?

on bi-vectors i know that it ends up to be a bivector again,
but with tri-vectors it vanishes if its lineraly dependent.
what about the case if its not linearly dependent,
does that mean it remains a tri-vector?

how does a vector transform under a transformation generated by exponentiation of a trivector ?

a transformation is a rotation or reflection,
but who can explain the exponentiation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by scariari
how does a vector transform under a transformation generated by exponentiation of a trivector
Hint:
[tex]
\exp{(ix)}=\cos{(x)}+i\sin(x)
[/tex]

so using exp(ix)=cos(x)+ isin(x), multiplying it by the vector, this will result in a rotation, correct?

i have found examples for bi-vectors, but how does this change with tri-vectors?

for a bivector:

I^2=-1
K^2=1

exp(Ix)=cos(x)+I sin(x)
exp(Kx)=cos(hx)+K sin(hx)

cos (hx)=0.5(exp(x)+exp(-x)
sin(hx) = 0.5(exp(x)-exp(-x)

v'=exp(Kx)vexp(-Kx)

abs(v)=sin(hx)/cos(hx)=tan(hx)

is this a lorentz transformation?

also, i read that complex numbers represent vectors as points with the transformation...?

also, i read that complex numbers represent vectors as points with the transformation...?
Yes, R+iI <-> (R,I).

how does a vector transform under a transformation generated by exponentiation of a trivector
Ah, now I think I understand what you mean.
Of course, you can't usually define the exponentiation of a vector. But you can define the eponentiation of a linear operator (matrix).
Like this: Let A be a matrix, then
[tex]
\exp{(A)}=\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{A^k}{k!}.
[/tex]
Let's say a transformation can be written in the form
[tex]
x' = \exp{(A)} \cdot x.
[/tex]
Now, if A = 1 + Gt with some parameter t, then G is called the generator of this transformation. For rotations, t is the angle.

if the commutator of a bi-vector [A,B] is found by AB-BA, is the commutator of a tri-vector then ABC-BCA-CAB?

1. What is geometric algebra?

Geometric algebra is a mathematical framework that extends traditional algebra to include geometric concepts, such as vectors, matrices, and rotations, in a unified manner. It allows for the representation and manipulation of geometric objects using algebraic operations.

2. What are commutators in geometric algebra?

In geometric algebra, commutators refer to the difference between two elements that are multiplied in a specific order and the same two elements multiplied in the opposite order. They are used to measure the non-commutativity of geometric objects and are essential in understanding rotations and translations in three-dimensional space.

3. What are tri-vectors in geometric algebra?

Tri-vectors, also known as trivectors or pseudoscalars, are elements in geometric algebra that represent three-dimensional oriented volumes. They are denoted by a scalar value and can be used to describe rotations in three-dimensional space.

4. How can geometric algebra explain commutators on tri-vectors?

In geometric algebra, commutators on tri-vectors can be explained using the wedge product, also known as the exterior product. This operation is used to measure the difference between two elements and is essential in understanding the non-commutativity of rotations in three-dimensional space. Tri-vectors are particularly useful in this context as they represent oriented volumes, which are crucial in describing rotations.

5. What are some real-world applications of geometric algebra and commutators on tri-vectors?

Geometric algebra has various applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to describe rotations and transformations in three-dimensional space, making it useful in computer graphics and robotics. In physics, it is used to describe the motion of particles and the behavior of electromagnetic fields. Additionally, commutators on tri-vectors are used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of quantum particles and their spin.