Biefeld-Brown Effect for Space Propulsion: Exploring Its Potential with NASA

• Thread starter speso72
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Biefeld-Brown effect and its potential use in space propulsion systems. It is suggested that NASA does not use this technology due to its limited lifting capacity and high energy requirements. The conversation also mentions different theories and sites for further information on the Biefeld-Brown effect.
speso72
Hi Guys,

I'm just currious why Nasa doesn't utilize the Biefeld-Brown effect for space satalite / space probe propulsion systems?

I had emailed Nasa a while back asking them, and they replied saying that it does not produce the torque needed. Could someone please explain?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums, Speso

I'm shooting from the hip here:

The reasons I can think of are
1) It wouldn't be able to provide enough thrust for use in a lifting vehicle

and

2) You still need fuel to operate in space (no surrounding medium to ionize), and there are other forms of electric propulsion which are able to operate with voltages MUCH lower than 20kV

In my quick google search, I wasn't able to find anything on theoretical specific impulse or thrust/weight ratios for such devices, so I can't be sure.

Do you know of any sites which go into specific details on the construction of such a device?

Greetings !

Intresting that I haven't heard of that one before.
But, if I understood the general explanation
correctly it's just about ionisation and manipulation
of an ionised gas - something done today in many
types of electric space propulsion technologies.
There are two main types of such thrusters which involve
ionisation - electrostatic and electromagnetic - depending
on what they do with the plasma once its ionised.

Live long and prosper.

The basic crux behind the B-B effect is in creating an electrical charge differential between the "top" and "bottom" of the device with one important differance:
The "top" charge is expelled into the surounding environment while the "bottom" charge is maintained within the device, but the "bottom" charge force-fields extend into the external environment, pulling the device "up"
Under these conditions the device moves forward, or "up", as leading atmospheric charges are continually supplied.
There is nothing wrong with this rather novel approach, and can easily be demonstrated.
However, the lifting capacity is very small and the energy requirements are quite high.
There are those who suggest that this device, an "asymetric capacitor" will produce the effect in a vacuum. If this is true, than it is worthy of further sutdy. I have heard of no evidence that it works in a vacuum, but look forward to the tests.

I've been collecting a lot of information on different theoried "ElectroGravitic" systems and uploaded them onto my site, if you're interested in reading about them...

Just FYI. :)

Reply to Arctic Fox

It hasn't really got anything to do with gravity. It just produces a thrust in a medium.

1. What is the Biefeld-Brown Effect?

The Biefeld-Brown Effect, also known as the Biefeld-Brown-Liftoff Effect, is an observed phenomenon in which a high voltage electrical charge applied to a capacitor with asymmetric electrodes results in a net force towards the positive electrode, causing the capacitor to move in the direction of the positive electrode.

2. Who discovered the Biefeld-Brown Effect?

The Biefeld-Brown Effect was first discovered by Thomas Townsend Brown, an American physicist and inventor, in the 1920s. He was conducting experiments with asymmetrical capacitors and high voltage electricity when he noticed a strange force that seemed to defy gravity.

3. How does the Biefeld-Brown Effect work?

The exact mechanism behind the Biefeld-Brown Effect is still not fully understood. However, it is thought to be a result of the interaction between the electric field and the surrounding air molecules. The asymmetrical shape of the capacitor creates a gradient in the electric field, causing a difference in the air pressure around the electrodes and resulting in a net force towards the positive electrode.

4. Is the Biefeld-Brown Effect real?

The Biefeld-Brown Effect has been observed and replicated by many scientists, suggesting that it is a real phenomenon. However, there is still some debate and skepticism surrounding its validity. Some believe that the observed effect is actually due to other factors, such as ion wind or experimental errors.

5. What are the potential applications of the Biefeld-Brown Effect?

The Biefeld-Brown Effect has been proposed as a potential method for creating propulsion systems for space travel, as it could potentially provide a thrust without the need for propellant. However, more research is needed to fully understand and harness this effect for practical applications.