Hilsch Tube: Separating Isotopes & Refining U235?

• Thread starter selfAdjoint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube
In summary: For example, if you wanted to try this using a Hilsch tube that you had, you would need to find a way to keep the different temperatures consistent.
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The Hilsch tube is not often mentioned anymore. It is a T-shaped arrangement of three tubes. A gas is led in through the stem of the T. Vanes inside use centrifugal force to direct the faster moving molecules to one side, where the exit tube is bigger, and the slower ones to the thinner tube on the other side. In practice you can easily feel the difference in temperature of the two outputs.

Originally the Hilsch tube was presented as a challenge to thermodynamics, like Maxwell's demon. It has been successfully explained, although I don't now remember what the explanation was.

My question is this: Could the Hilsch tube be used to separate isotopes of the same element? Not to put too fine a point on it, could it be used to refine U235 from natural Uranium? Could anyone figure out how it would compare to other methods of doing this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Centrifuges are used to enrich Uranium, that is increase the U235 fraction, so that it can be used more efficiently in reactors, or even bombs.

Yes thanks, mathman. I new that. But apparently centrifuges for uranium separation are sensitive and costly because of their high speed. The Hilsch tube has no moving parts (aside from pumps).

Yes, it works.

http://www.metalworking-forum.com/metalworking/hilsch_vortex_tubes_454906.html [Broken]

Somebody on this thread says the south africans did it. He says there are cheaper and more effective ways when better technology is available.

I don't know if he's right that it doesn't work very well, but the south african reference at least gives a place to look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reference. I'm glad that someone tried the idea of using vortex tubes for separation! As for the "if technology is available", I was thinking of cases where technology wasn't available.

1. What is a Hilsch Tube?

A Hilsch Tube, also known as a Ranque-Hilsch vortex tube, is a device that uses the principles of fluid dynamics to separate gases of different densities and temperatures.

2. How does a Hilsch Tube separate isotopes?

A Hilsch Tube uses centrifugal force and the principle of gas expansion to separate gases. When a gas enters the tube, it is forced to rotate rapidly due to the vortex created by the tube's shape. This rotation causes the heavier gas molecules to move towards the outer wall of the tube, while the lighter gas molecules remain towards the center. This allows for the separation of isotopes based on their molecular weight.

3. Can a Hilsch Tube be used to refine U235?

Yes, a Hilsch Tube can be used to refine U235 by separating it from the heavier U238 isotope. This is achieved by adjusting the temperature and pressure within the tube to create the desired gas expansion and separation.

4. What are the advantages of using a Hilsch Tube for isotope separation?

One of the main advantages of using a Hilsch Tube for isotope separation is its low cost compared to other methods. It also does not require any moving parts or external energy source, making it a simple and reliable tool for separation.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Hilsch Tube for isotope separation?

While a Hilsch Tube can be an effective tool for isotope separation, it does have limitations. It is most effective for gases with large differences in molecular weight and requires precise control of temperature and pressure for optimal results. Additionally, it may not be suitable for large-scale production due to its relatively low separation rate.