Understanding Electric Potential and Energy: Tips for Physics 12 Students

In summary: Basicly what I have trouble understanding is:-Conversion from voltage to charge/work. Why does it work? It takes 1 Joule to move 1 C to the position that has 1 V electric potential right? What are the two different type of fields? (There's one that is /r^2 and one that is /r, what is each and how are they used?)-How do you find the work done when you move charges close to each other?-What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'll start by apologizing for any incorrect terms. I've learned all of this in french so a few words may be misspelled or even misused.

We just started doing electricity in physics 12. I understand F = kqq/r^2 perfectly, I get that potential (electric?) energy is the same formula, multiplied by r. I can do the problems through guesswork (Well, if Voltage is J/C, and I have work and charge...) but I don't UNDERSTAND why I'm doing these things. It's like flying on autopilot.

Basicly what I have trouble understanding is:
Conversion from voltage to charge/work. Why does it work? It takes 1 Joule to move 1 C to the position that has 1 V electric potential right? What are the two different type of fields? (There's one that is /r^2 and one that is /r, what is each and how are they used?)

Just generally confused here. We have a quiz tomorrow and I don't want to have to do some fancy guesswork (even if it does always work).

Physics news on Phys.org
Alkatran said:
Basicly what I have trouble understanding is:
Conversion from voltage to charge/work. Why does it work? It takes 1 Joule to move 1 C to the position that has 1 V electric potential right? What are the two different type of fields? (There's one that is /r^2 and one that is /r, what is each and how are they used?).
No, there's only one field it is like 1/r. The other is a force. It is like pushing a car up hill. At every point, a certain force is required. This force is proportional to the slope of the hill. But the field is related to the height you've moved the car to. When you are done, the work is the change in height, but you can find the same answer by multiplying the force needed at every point by the small distance traveled and adding all these contributions together. Guess what? You'll get the same answer.

So with charges. To move two charges closer together requires force which varies with distance as 1/r^2. The amount of work done, can however be calculated much more simply by comparing the potential energy of the particles (1/r) before and after they were moved.

In short, the work is the integral of F.dx, and when you integrate 1/r^2, you get -1/r. But I don't suppose you've learned any calculus yet. There's lots of fun in store for you!

I'm actually doing calculus now (and having an incredibly easy time, mind you.. hit into how to find a polynomials slope at any point by myself). I already knew of the similarities between the attraction between charges and gravity but my question is very vague.

I'll just think about it for a while and it'll sort itself out... I'll associate the names with the equations tomorrow..

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the work needed to move a unit of positive charge from one point to another in an electric field.

How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge, while electric potential energy is the total potential energy that a charge has in an electric field. Essentially, electric potential is a property of the electric field itself, while electric potential energy is a property of the charge within the electric field.

What is the equation for electric potential?

The equation for electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point where the electric potential is being measured.

What is the relationship between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential and electric potential energy are directly proportional to each other. This means that if the electric potential increases, the electric potential energy also increases, and vice versa. In mathematical terms, this relationship is expressed as U = QV, where U is the electric potential energy, Q is the charge, and V is the electric potential.

How can understanding electric potential and energy be helpful in real-life applications?

Understanding electric potential and energy is crucial in various real-life applications, such as designing electrical circuits, calculating the energy needed for certain tasks, and understanding the behavior of electrical systems. It also helps in understanding the concept of voltage and how it affects the flow of electricity in various devices.