Rate of Heat Loss: Newton's Law & Factors

In summary, Newton's law of cooling states that when two bodies are placed in contact, heat will flow from the body with higher temperature to the body with lower temperature at a rate proportional to the difference in the temperatures. The factors that affect the rate of cooling of a body are nature of a substance and temp. gradient. The nature of a substance affects the rate of cooling in that substances with high thermal conductivity are able to transfer heat more quickly than substances with low thermal conductivity. The graph of temp. gradient vs. rate of cooling of a body is a line sloping upwards.
franz32
Hello everyone.

I have questions to ask.

1. What is Newton's Law of cooling?

2. The factors that affect the rate of cooling of a body are nature of a substance and temp. gradient. What are those?

3. How does each affect the cooling of a body? Are each of them varies directly with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Newton's law of cooling" says that when two bodies are placed in contact, heat will flow from the body with higher temperature to the body with lower temperature at a rate proportional to the difference in the temperatures.

"2. The factors that affect the rate of cooling of a body are nature of a substance and temp. gradient. What are those?"

I'm sorry? Are you asking "what is the nature of a substance"?
"temp. gradient" is the "difference in the temperatures" above.

3. is answered in 1.

Reply to ...

Hello..

in 2, yes, what i meant is "what is the nature of a substance". thank you.

Originally posted by franz32
yes, what i meant is "what is the nature of a substance". thank you.
This just means that substances vary in their ability to conduct heat. (For example: silver conducts heat better than wood.) This property of a substance is called its thermal conductivity.

Last edited:
Graph

Hello again! :smile:

So it is meant that the 'rate of cooling of a body' is direcctly proportional to 'temp. gradient'... did I get it right? =D

And so, the graph 'temp. gradient' vs 'rate of cooling of a body' must be a line sloping upward?

How about the nature of a substance? Is the graph of it hyperbolic to the 'rate of cooling of a body'? :smile:

?...?...?

Um, something went wrong... someone did reply but I can't see it here, even I click the link...

Well, here's my problem...

How does the nature of a substance ("In rate of heat loss") affect the rate of cooling? Do they vary inversely? How does the graph looked like? =)

The "nature of a substance" is the coefficient in the proportion of heat flow to temperature distance. Specifically, it is the "heat conduction" constant for the substance. Since saying "heat flow is proportional to difference in temperature" is saying
"ΔQ= k(T1-T0[/sup]) and k is the "nature of the substance", heat flow is proportional to it, not inversely proportional.

Hello !

Hi!

Well, thank you very much, HallsOfIvy and Doc Al. =) I learned a lot! =)

1. What is Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling states that the rate of heat loss from an object is proportional to the difference in temperature between the object and its surroundings.

2. What factors affect the rate of heat loss?

The rate of heat loss is affected by several factors including the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings, the surface area of the object, and the thermal conductivity of the object's material.

3. How is the rate of heat loss calculated using Newton's Law?

The rate of heat loss can be calculated using the formula Q/t = -kA(To - Ts), where Q/t is the rate of heat loss per unit time, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the surface area, To is the temperature of the object, and Ts is the temperature of the surroundings.

4. What is the significance of Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling is an important principle in understanding heat transfer and is used in various fields such as engineering, meteorology, and biology. It helps in predicting the rate of heat loss and determining the efficiency of heat exchange systems.

5. How does Newton's Law of Cooling apply to real-world situations?

Newton's Law of Cooling can be applied to real-world situations such as cooling of hot beverages, heat loss in buildings, and temperature regulation in living organisms. It is also used in the design and improvement of cooling systems for electronic devices and machinery.