Properties of the Gluon: Spin, Mass and Size

In summary, the strong force is held by a set of 8 gluons with different color-charges. Gluons have a spin of 1 and are massless and have no electric charge. They are considered elementary particles with no internal structure or size. The best source for referencing this information would be the Particle Data Group's review of particle physics called The Physical Review.
taylordnz
what particle holds the strong force? and what's its spin, mass and size?. (i need an answer with a refrence to a article or book for my research paper)

Physics news on Phys.org
The strong force binds quarks together inside e.g. the proton and the neutron. The carriers of the force are a set of 8 gluons with different color-charges. Gluons have a spin of 1 and do not have mass (hence they travel at the speed of light) or electric charge. But they do have the above-mentioned color-charge. As gluons are elementry particles, they do not have an internal structure and also no size (i.e.: point-particles, just like electrons or photons).

Last edited:
Gluons do have spin; their spin quantum number is equal to 1. But as you say theyt are massless, have no charge and canm have eight possible colour charges.

All of these answers are correct, and the best source for you to reference would probably be the Particle Data Group's review of particle physics called The Physical Review. You can find a copy at http://pdg.lbl.gov/. The gluon is found under Gauge and Higgs Bosons in the Particle Listings. If you are looking for a page number, I don't have it for the latest edition, but my 2000 copy of the Physical Review has it on page 249. That's in Phys. Rev. D66, 2000 edition. You'll have to check it out for yourself.

1. What is the spin of a gluon?

The spin of a gluon is 1, which means it is a vector particle that carries angular momentum.

2. What is the mass of a gluon?

The mass of a gluon is approximately 0.00000000003 electron volts, which is considered to be massless compared to other subatomic particles.

3. Can gluons be observed directly?

No, gluons cannot be observed directly because they are confined within the protons and neutrons of an atom. However, their effects can be observed through high-energy particle collisions.

4. Do gluons have a size?

Gluons do not have a defined size because they are considered to be point particles, meaning they have no measurable dimensions.

5. How do gluons interact with other particles?

Gluons interact with other particles through the strong nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. They are responsible for holding quarks together to form protons and neutrons, and for binding protons and neutrons together to form atomic nuclei.