What is the acceleration of a particle orbiting around a nucleus?

In summary, the acceleration of a particle orbiting around a nucleus can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r. However, if the particle is an electron in an orbital, it is not experiencing acceleration as it is defined by a probability density function. The statement (ec)2/(107*r2) = a may not be true in this case.
Sariaht
What is the acceleration of a particle orbiting around a nucleus?

v/(4(pi)) = a ?

I cannot find this info... Will you help me?

r = r0

Physics news on Phys.org
If it is a uniform motion it will have radial acceleration of

[tex] a_r= \frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]

Originally posted by himanshu121
Thanks!

wait... is it really?

Last edited:
If you really mean a particle orbitting, then it is a=v^2/r.

If you're talking about electron orbitals, not orbits, the electrons are not accelerating. The elecrons do not whip around in a circle around a nucleus. The orbital is the space defined by the probability density function of the electron.

Njorl

I agree with Njorl
The Que said particle, i.e with definite coordinated and since the forum is in K-12, i didn't delved into probability theory

Originally posted by himanshu121
like... so this statement: (ec)2/(107*r2) = a is not true?

1. What is the definition of acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is acceleration related to the motion of a particle orbiting around a nucleus?

The acceleration of a particle orbiting around a nucleus is caused by the electric force between the two objects. This force acts as a centripetal force, constantly changing the direction of the particle's velocity and causing it to accelerate towards the nucleus.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a particle orbiting around a nucleus?

The acceleration of a particle orbiting around a nucleus is affected by the mass of the particle, the mass of the nucleus, and the distance between them. The greater the mass of the particles or the smaller the distance between them, the greater the acceleration will be.

4. How is the acceleration of a particle orbiting around a nucleus calculated?

The acceleration of a particle orbiting around a nucleus can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration (F = ma). In this case, the net force is the electric force between the particle and nucleus.

5. Is the acceleration of a particle orbiting around a nucleus constant?

Yes, the acceleration of a particle orbiting around a nucleus is constant. This is because the force of gravity between the particle and nucleus is always present and acting in the same direction, causing the particle to continuously accelerate towards the nucleus at a constant rate.