Very low frequency data - thoughts?

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for feedback on a concept for a fictional movie that involves scientifically grounded technologies. The concept involves transmitting data at a very low frequency of 12Hz and the person is asking if it is possible and if there are any current or theoretical technologies that could make it viable. They also ask for thoughts on the efficiency of this type of data transmission compared to a higher frequency. The conversation ends with a moderator reminding the person to keep all responses in one thread for better communication.
Invader J
((also posted to General Engineering))

Hi everybody,

I'm working on a concept for a movie that I'm making. It's a fictional movie, but the concepts in it are definitely grounded in current and theoretical science. Coming from a big science background, I of course want the fictional technologies in the movie to be somewhat technologically feasible.

So for the first concept:

Could you transmit data from one point to another, or to one main base station of some sort, over a very low frequency such as 12Hz?

* If not, why not? Is it just a horrible frequency to transmit at? What would be the reasons it would not work?

* If not, are there any technologies, whether current or theoretical, that could make a low frequency like 12hz viable for data transmission?

* If so, how efficient would it be in comparison to (for example), transmitting at 1900MHz (a frequency used for US GSM signals)?

* Any thoughts overall about transmitting data at very low frequencies?

If anyone interested could post their thoughts on this, I'd really appreciate it. Once I get some feedback I'll of course post what the conept actually is. :)

Thanks in advance everyone!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums, Invader!

You don't need to post the same thread in multiple places. People interested in Engineering usually look through all open threads anyway, and It's much easier to have a coherent conversation if all comments are in one place.

I'm locking this thread.

Please direct all responses here

Hi there,

The idea of transmitting data at very low frequencies, such as 12Hz, is definitely an interesting concept. In theory, it is possible to transmit data at this frequency, but there are a few challenges that would need to be overcome.

Firstly, the lower the frequency, the longer the wavelength. At 12Hz, the wavelength would be approximately 25,000 kilometers. This means that the transmitting and receiving antennas would need to be extremely large in order to efficiently transmit and receive the signal. The size of the antennas would also greatly affect the efficiency of the transmission.

Another challenge would be interference. Low frequency signals are more susceptible to interference from natural phenomena, such as lightning and solar flares. This could greatly affect the quality and reliability of the data transmission.

In terms of efficiency compared to higher frequencies, it would likely be much less efficient. Higher frequencies allow for more data to be transmitted in a shorter amount of time, making it more practical for everyday use.

That being said, there are some technologies that could potentially make low frequency data transmission viable. For example, using advanced antenna designs and signal processing techniques could help mitigate some of the challenges mentioned above. There are also ongoing research and development in the field of wireless power transmission, which could potentially be adapted for data transmission at low frequencies.

Overall, transmitting data at very low frequencies has its challenges, but it is certainly an interesting concept to explore. With advancements in technology, it may become more feasible in the future. I'm curious to hear more about your concept and how you plan to incorporate low frequency data transmission into your movie. Good luck with your project!

1. What is "very low frequency data"?

"Very low frequency data" refers to data that is collected at a frequency of less than 30 Hertz (Hz). This means that the data is collected at a rate of less than 30 times per second, making it a very slow and infrequent collection of data points.

2. What types of data are typically collected at very low frequencies?

Very low frequency data is often used to collect information about natural phenomena such as earthquakes, volcanic activity, and changes in the Earth's magnetic field. It can also be used to study the behavior of animals and organisms that have slower movements, such as whales and elephants.

3. Why is collecting very low frequency data important?

Collecting very low frequency data allows scientists to study and understand processes and events that occur at a slower pace than what is visible to the naked eye. This can provide valuable insights and help us better understand the world around us and its complex systems.

4. What are some challenges associated with analyzing very low frequency data?

One of the main challenges with analyzing very low frequency data is that it often requires specialized equipment and techniques. The data may also be subject to interference from external sources, making it difficult to obtain accurate and reliable results.

5. How can very low frequency data be used in practical applications?

Very low frequency data has a wide range of practical applications, including monitoring and predicting natural disasters, studying animal behavior, and analyzing changes in the Earth's magnetic field. It can also be used in medical diagnostics and treatments, such as in electroencephalography (EEG) to measure brain activity.