1X or 10X Passive Voltage Probe?

In summary: Once you have registered and downloaded the probe primer, you can use it to check the accuracy of your 1X and 10X probes. The probe primer provides a table that shows the R-value for a given resistance. You can use this information to compare the R-values of your 1X and 10X probes.In summary, the 1X probe is more accurate when measuring the voltage across the RC circuit.
vze3bbyp
Hi All,

Suppose you have applied 800kHz, 30ppV sine signal (from a pulse generator) to a 115pF, 10Ohm RC circuit and you want to know the value of the applied voltage as accurate as possible what passive voltage probe would you use, 1X or 10X? Is there a way to check the accuracy of the two measurements? What I do is I use a resistor of known resistance and I divide the current passing through it into the voltage across it measured alternatively with the 1X and the 10X probe. What I see is that throughout one period of the sine wave the 1X probe sustains an R value closer to the known R value than the 10X probe. This makes me conclude, although I'm measuring the voltage across the R and not the voltage across the RC, that the 1X probe is more accurate. Am I right and are there other ways I can objectively check the accuracy of the two probes with regard to measuring the voltage across the RC?

Engineering news on Phys.org
vze3bbyp said:
Hi All,

Suppose you have applied 800kHz, 30ppV sine signal (from a pulse generator) to a 115pF, 10Ohm RC circuit and you want to know the value of the applied voltage as accurate as possible what passive voltage probe would you use, 1X or 10X? Is there a way to check the accuracy of the two measurements? What I do is I use a resistor of known resistance and I divide the current passing through it into the voltage across it measured alternatively with the 1X and the 10X probe. What I see is that throughout one period of the sine wave the 1X probe sustains an R value closer to the known R value than the 10X probe. This makes me conclude, although I'm measuring the voltage across the R and not the voltage across the RC, that the 1X probe is more accurate. Am I right and are there other ways I can objectively check the accuracy of the two probes with regard to measuring the voltage across the RC?

Welcome to the PF.

The Tektronix 'scope probe primer should be useful reading for you. It is available at this Tek tutorial page:

http://www.tek.com/learning/oscilloscopes/

You need to register to download it, but the registration is free.

Related to 1X or 10X Passive Voltage Probe?

1. What is the difference between a 1X and 10X passive voltage probe?

A 1X passive voltage probe has a fixed attenuation ratio of 1, meaning it measures the input signal as it is without any amplification or attenuation. On the other hand, a 10X passive voltage probe has an attenuation ratio of 10, meaning it reduces the input signal by a factor of 10 before measurement. This allows for more accurate and precise measurements of higher voltage signals.

2. When should I use a 1X passive voltage probe?

A 1X passive voltage probe is typically used for measuring low voltage signals, such as those found in digital circuits or logic analyzers. It is also useful for general troubleshooting and monitoring of signals without altering them.

3. When should I use a 10X passive voltage probe?

A 10X passive voltage probe is ideal for measuring high voltage signals, such as those found in power supplies or analog circuits. It reduces the voltage to a safer and more manageable level for the oscilloscope, while still providing accurate measurements.

4. Can I use a 1X probe instead of a 10X probe?

Yes, you can use a 1X probe instead of a 10X probe, but it may not provide accurate measurements for higher voltage signals. The 1X probe has a lower bandwidth and is more susceptible to noise and interference, which can affect the accuracy of the measurements.

5. How do I choose the correct probe for my application?

The choice between a 1X and 10X probe depends on the type of signal you are measuring and the voltage range you need to measure. For low voltage signals, a 1X probe may be sufficient, but for higher voltage signals, a 10X probe is recommended. It is important to also consider the bandwidth and attenuation ratio of the probe when choosing the correct one for your application.