1st law of thermodynamics./ Conservation of energy.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy transformation and conservation in a system. The participants note that in most systems, the output energy (Eout) is usually less than the input energy (Ein) due to losses such as heat, friction, and sound. They question whether it is possible for a system to produce more output energy than input energy, and if that would violate the laws of thermodynamics. The conversation also mentions perpetual motion machines and clarifies that they are impossible because they create energy, which violates the laws of thermodynamics and conservation of energy. The participants also discuss examples of energy loss, such as friction, and question what other factors may cause energy loss. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of conservation of energy in understanding
Hopeful101
Hallo,

I understand in a system energy is transformed from one form to another... Although I'm wondering is it possibile to get more energy "OUT" as in?

Imagine this simple equation:

Ein = Eout

Eout: would usually be less than "Ein" due to losses going for heat,frictions,sound,etc... I understand that so far. In 99% of our systems follow this way.However, what if there is a system that produced more Eout than Ein? Is that violating the two laws?
Maybe were applying another source of "In" that's not present or shown obvious that increased the "Eout". Another source could alter the expected results maybe...

If there are system or any examples of what I am saying could you share some if possibile?

Science news on Phys.org
No, or else you would get a perpetual machine of the first kind. A direct violation of the first law of thermodynamics.

alba_ei said:
No, or else you would get a perpetual machine of the first kind. A direct violation of the first law of thermodynamics.

I doubt that. Mainly because perpetual machines claim to create "energy" out of nowhere. I said that you had another source applied in the "Ein" of the system that resulted in a higher output.

I found an example of this here: solarfeeds.com/mit-scientists-create-230-efficient-led-bulbs/ (Don't forget the www. I didn't added it because for some reason here is a problems)

They used another source other then "electricity" to boost the output of that system
Whereas perpetual motion machines are impossible because they "create" energy and THAT is a direct violation of the laws of both thermodynamics and conservation of energy.

*For everyone... I've noticed that perpetual motion machines, over-unity claims, etc... are all forbidden in this site and I DO NOT INTEND ON TALKING ABOUT IT on this topic rather clarifying a thought in my mind.*

By definition no, because if a system were ever to output more energy than it consumes, we would simply define a new set of potential energy so that total energy would again become conserved.

alba_ei said:

An example of what I'm trying to say is friction. Its a contact force present in our daily lives right? While I'm typing on my keyboard I'm experiencing it. Does it destroy energy? No. Thats a violation of both laws but its reducing my energy... Thus resulting in energy loss to heat, sound,etc...
Another example throwing a ball up in the sky then it falling down, is it falling at the same rate as thrown up? No. Why? Air resistance and we go on.

danmay said:
By definition no, because if a system were ever to output more energy than it consumes, we would simply define a new set of potential energy so that total energy would again become conserved.

Why would the system consume that additional energy output? Is it necessary to define a new potential energy? Maybe that energy is directly outputted and conserver in another form.

Hopeful101 said:
I found an example of this here: solarfeeds.com/mit-scientists-create-230-efficient-led-bulbs/ (Don't forget the www. I didn't added it because for some reason here is a problems)
They used another source other then "electricity" to boost the output of that system

From another related article "... it appears to draw in heat energy from its surroundings instead."
There you have it. You cannot create energy out of nowhere.

alba_ei said:
From another related article "... it appears to draw in heat energy from its surroundings instead."
There you have it. You cannot create energy out of nowhere.

Alba_ei, you really need to re-read what I've written properly.

Hopeful101 said:
Alba_ei, you really need to re-read what I've written properly.
Every example you gave satisfied conservation of energy. What's your point?

Doc Al said:
Every example you gave satisfied conservation of energy. What's your point?

Ah, Thats it. The simple comfort of satisfaction, I needed to know I was on the right track. One more thing though...

What factors can effect energy other then force?
Friction is a force and it causes energy loss what else causes a loss of energy other than force?

Hopeful101 said:
Why would the system consume that additional energy output? Is it necessary to define a new potential energy? Maybe that energy is directly outputted and conserver in another form.

It doesn't matter. If anything were to output a net increase in energy (output - input) even if one or both are zero or negative, we would simply define a new set of potential energy in such a way that by definition, total energy is again conserved. Because people don't like it when something is not conserved, so they tend to modify theories so that total energy would Become conserved. In the end it's just a matter of convention.
Hopeful101 said:
What factors can effect energy other then force?
Friction is a force and it causes energy loss what else causes a loss of energy other than force?

Friction does not cause a loss of energy; it transforms and redistributes it. Ultimately energy is quantified by motion + "potential" motion.

Hello hopeful, I note that this is your first post at Physics Forums and than no one has offered a welcome so let me first correct that omission.

Welcome to Physics Forums, there are some really good members here.

First reading your opening post I did at think that you were proposing a perpetual motion machine.
However reading it more carefully I came to the conclusion that you realized that something was not right about that idea but were not sure what so was seeking guidance.
I am guessing that you are meeting this subject for the first time.

Basically any conservation law can be expressed by the phrase

Input = output plus accumulation

In your case you are rearranging this to

Input minus output = accumulation

and find that the accumulation is negative (ie decreasing)

That is perfectly satisfactory for a system that has an internal store of energy that it calls upon to satisfy the difference.

If that internal store is large the process can go on for a long time.

A real world example would be a gas turbine where the input energy to the compressor stage is less than the ouput shaft energy, the difference being supplied from the stored energy of the combustion gas.

Nothing above suggests perpetual motion, yours was actually a perceptive question I hope you do well in the future.

Last edited:
danmay said:
Friction does not cause a loss of energy; it transforms and redistributes it. Ultimately energy is quantified by motion + "potential" motion.

Huh, never though it in that way.

Studiot said:
Hello hopeful, I note that this is your first post at Physics Forums and than no one has offered a welcome so let me first correct that omission.

Welcome to Physics Forums, there are some really good members here.

First reading your opening post I did at think that you were proposing a perpetual motion machine.
However reading it more carefully I came to the conclusion that you realized that something was not right about that idea but were not sure what so was seeking guidance.
I am guessing that you are meeting this subject for the first time.

Basically any conservation law can be expressed by the phrase

Input = output plus accumulation

In your case you are rearranging this to

Input minus output = accumulation

and find that the accumulation is negative (ie decreasing)

That is perfectly satisfactory for a system that has an internal store of energy that it calls upon to satisfy the difference.

If that internal store is large the process can go on for a long time.

A real world example would be a gas turbine where the input energy to the compressor stage is less than the ouput shaft energy, the difference being supplied from the stored energy of the combustion gas.

Nothing above suggests perpetual motion, yours was actually a perceptive question I hope you do well in the future.

Thanks for the welcome Studiot.
I might have sounded as if I wanted to propuse a perpetual motion machine but really I was not. I read about it a few times was not interested because it does not make sense so I buried it. However, I love studying about energy and the forms of conservation from one form to another its stunning to me. Understanding it more and more lead me to ask theses questions and thankfully knew I'm on the right track. I read a few post before this one to understand energy even more and lead me to a question: If we were able to create systems with 100% efficiency that's perfect but what if the result output was more?

The answer to my mind was directly this: ERROR. But maybe it is not? Then the only rational explanation that came in my mind is something else played a role in that system. As you're compressor example was perfect and well rounded. Some stored energy played that role! Wonderful example.
I thank you for that input and guidance it truly helped.

You should compare this with a mechanical timepiece.

You input mechanical energy when you wind it.
This is stored in the spring or whatever.
Then it is output again as the clock winds down although some is lost to friction, air resistance or whatever.

In this case the only energy in the store is what is put in in the winding. There is no further internal store of chemical energy as in the turbine.

So congratualtion on deducing that there must be an internal store.

Another source could alter the expected results maybe

This is formalised in the First Law as internal energy.

Keep asking the questions.

:smile:

Studiot said:
You should compare this with a mechanical timepiece.

You input mechanical energy when you wind it.
This is stored in the spring or whatever.
Then it is output again as the clock winds down although some is lost to friction, air resistance or whatever.

In this case the only energy in the store is what is put in in the winding. There is no further internal store of chemical energy as in the turbine.

So congratualtion on deducing that there must be an internal store.

This is formalised in the First Law as internal energy.

What puzzels me always is how "force" effects the systems outputted results doesn't it? I mean air resistance, frictions, etc...

Hypo said:
What puzzels me always is how "force" effects the systems outputted results doesn't it? I mean air resistance, frictions, etc...

I guess that's a natural thing that goes around any physical system that has able work. Maybe its a counter effect to it or so...

Studiot said:

Thanks Studiot I appreciate it.

Related to 1st law of thermodynamics./ Conservation of energy.

What is the 1st law of thermodynamics/ Conservation of energy?

The 1st law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy in a closed system remains constant.

How does the 1st law of thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

The 1st law of thermodynamics is applicable to many aspects of everyday life. For example, it explains why your coffee cools down when you leave it on the counter, as the heat energy is transferred to the surrounding environment. It also explains how energy is converted from food into energy for our bodies to use.

What are some examples of energy conversion in the context of the 1st law of thermodynamics?

Some examples of energy conversion include the conversion of chemical energy in food into mechanical energy for movement, the conversion of electrical energy into light energy in a light bulb, and the conversion of potential energy in a rollercoaster into kinetic energy as it moves down a track.

Can the 1st law of thermodynamics be violated?

No, the 1st law of thermodynamics is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. However, it is important to note that energy can be lost as heat in some energy conversions, which may appear to violate the law. This is because the total energy in a closed system remains constant, but the form of energy may change.

How does the 1st law of thermodynamics relate to the concept of entropy?

The 1st law of thermodynamics and the concept of entropy are closely related. Entropy is a measure of the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a system. The 1st law of thermodynamics states that the total energy in a closed system remains constant, but entropy tends to increase over time, as energy is continuously being converted into less usable forms. This is known as the law of increasing entropy.