1D Elastic Collision - Velocities in the CM/ZM Frame

In summary, for a 1D elastic collision between two particles, it can be proven that as viewed from the centre of mass frame of reference, the velocity of each particle after the collision has the same magnitude but opposite sign to its velocity before the collision. This can be shown by setting up the equations in the CM frame and using conservation of momentum and kinetic energy.
Zatman

Homework Statement

Prove that, for any 1D elastic collision between two particles: as viewed from the centre of mass (or zero momentum) frame of reference, the velocity of each particle after the collision has the same magnitude but opposite sign to its velocity before the collision.

2. The attempt at a solution
For i=1,2, let [itex]m_i, u_i, v_i[/itex] be the mass, lab velocity before collision and lab velocity after the collision respectively.

The velocity of the centre of mass is:

[itex]V_{CM}=\frac{m_1u_1+m_2u_2}{m_1+m_2}=\frac{m_1v_1+m_2v_2}{m_1+m_2}[/itex] (1)

Since the total momentum in the CM frame is zero, we have

[itex]m_1(u_1-V_{CM})+m_2(u_2-V_{CM})=0[/itex] (2)

[itex]m_1(v_1-V_{CM})+m_2(v_2-V_{CM})=0[/itex] (3)

Conservation of kinetic energy:

[itex]m_1u_1^2+m_2u_2^2=m_1v_1^2+m_2v_2^2[/itex] (4)

I need to show that

(i) [itex](u_1-V_{CM})=-(v_1-V_{CM})[/itex]

(ii) [itex](u_2-V_{CM})=-(v_2-V_{CM})[/itex]

I've been playing around with equations (1)-(4) (don't see much point copying my scribbles up on here) but can't seem to come up with (i) or (ii). Can anyone point me in the right direction to solving these equations? I'd very much appreciate it :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Zatman! :smile:

Why aren't you using the centre of mass frame? :confused:

(ie VCM = 0)​

Hmm. Not sure I follow. VCM is the velocity of the centre of mass in the lab frame (which clearly isn't zero?). Then to transform into the centre of mass frame

[itex]v_{CM}=v_{LAB}-V_{CM}[/itex]

Guess I'm missing something pretty fundamental here...

Zatman said:
Prove that, … as viewed from the centre of mass … frame of reference, the velocity of each particle after the collision has the same magnitude but opposite sign to its velocity before the collision.

the question requires you to use the centre of mass frame :wink:

I'm really confused now! How, exactly, is what I've set up not the centre of mass frame?

I've taken the velocities in the lab frame for each particle, and subtracted the lab velocity of the CM to get their respective velocities relative to the CM frame?

in the centre of mass frame, m1u1 + m2u2 = 0 :wink:

I agree... ugh, that certainly throws a spanner into the works, since that would mean my velocity of the CM relative to the lab would also be zero. I thought one could find the velocity of the CM relative to the lab by differentiating

[itex](m_1+m_2)X_{CM}=m_1x_1+m_2x_2[/itex]

giving

[itex]V_{CM}=\frac{m_1v_1+m_2v_2}{m_1+m_2}[/itex] ?

But if this doesn't work, how do I even transform into the CM frame? :confused:

Wait hold on, what?

Surely, in the CM frame, it is

[itex]m_1(u_1-V_{CM})+m_2(u_2-V_{CM})[/itex]

that is zero? And likewise for the velocities after collision.

Zatman said:
Surely, in the CM frame, it is

[itex]m_1(u_1-V_{CM})+m_2(u_2-V_{CM})[/itex]

that is zero? And likewise for the velocities after collision.

yes :smile:

but what is VCM in th CM frame? :wink:

In the CM frame, the CM is stationary. BUT the "VCM" in that equation is a constant equal to the velocity of the CM relative to the lab frame.

By your logic, m1u1 + m2u2=0 means that there is zero momentum in the lab frame, which isn't (necessarily) true?

i'm not using the lab frame

the question requires you to use the centre of mass frame …
Zatman said:
Prove that … as viewed from the centre of mass … frame of reference, the velocity of each particle after the collision has the same magnitude but opposite sign to its velocity before the collision.)

I really hope I'm not coming across as awkward, but this makes no sense to me. :(

You're saying that in the CM frame m1u1+m2u2=0?

How is that possible? u1 and u2 are velocities that I defined in the lab frame, hence that expression is the momentum in the lab frame -- which isn't zero. When you transform it to the CM frame (which is what I thought I'd done) you get the velocities in the CM frame - then the momentum expression is zero, but this expression isn't m1u1+m2u2, it's what I wrote above? I really can't see the flaw in this reasoning.

Zatman said:
Prove that… as viewed from the centre of mass … frame of reference, the velocity of each particle after the collision has the same magnitude but opposite sign to its velocity before the collision.

Zatman said:
How is that possible? u1 and u2 are velocities that I defined in the lab frame

yes :smile:

don't :smile:

work in the centre of mass frame​

But I need to define the velocities somewhere!

Are you saying that I can just forget the lab frame altogether and consider solely the CM frame -- i.e. do no transformation?

Zatman said:
Are you saying that I can just forget the lab frame altogether and consider solely the CM frame -- i.e. do no transformation?

yes!

the question requires you to use the centre of mass frame :smile:

Well, yes, I know I'm required to! It just seemed natural to set it up in a lab frame and then transform it.

Let me see what I can come up with. (thanks, tiny-tim)

This is what I've set up in the CM frame - initial velocities u1 and u2, and final velocities v1 and v2 (NOT the same as the quantities defined in the first post!).

[itex]m_1u_1+m_2u_2=0[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow u_1=-\frac{m_2u_2}{m_1}[/itex] (1)

[itex]m_1v_1+m_2v_2=0[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow v_1=-\frac{m_2v_2}{m_1}[/itex] (2)

Kinetic energy considerations:

[itex]m_1u_1^2+m_2u_2^2=m_1v_1^2+m_2v_2^2[/itex] (3)

Now I substitute (1) and (2) into (3) to eliminate u1 and v1. Going through the algebra I end up with

[itex]v_2^2=u_2^2[/itex]

[itex]v_2=\pm u_2[/itex]

...and v2 cannot be positive u2 because otherwise there would be no collision?

that's right :smile:

can you see now that it's much simpler working in the centre of mass frame? :wink:

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
that's right :smile:

can you see now that it's much simpler working in the centre of mass frame? :wink:

Yes... when you don't over-complicate things :rolleyes:

Thank you for your help, tiny-tim. :)

Related to 1D Elastic Collision - Velocities in the CM/ZM Frame

1. What is a 1D elastic collision?

A 1D elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy and momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total energy and momentum after the collision.

2. What is the difference between the CM frame and the ZM frame?

The CM (center of mass) frame is a reference frame in which the total momentum of the system is zero. This frame is useful for analyzing collisions, as it simplifies the equations and allows for a clearer understanding of the dynamics involved. The ZM (zero momentum) frame is a reference frame in which the total momentum of one of the objects involved in the collision is zero. This frame is useful for analyzing situations where one of the objects is much more massive than the other.

3. How do you calculate velocities in the CM frame?

To calculate the velocities in the CM frame, you first need to calculate the total momentum of the system before the collision. Then, using the conservation of momentum, you can set this total momentum equal to zero in the CM frame. From there, you can solve for the velocities of the objects in the CM frame using the appropriate equations.

4. Is kinetic energy conserved in a 1D elastic collision?

Yes, kinetic energy is conserved in a 1D elastic collision. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

5. Can you have a 1D elastic collision between more than two objects?

Yes, a 1D elastic collision can occur between any number of objects, as long as both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This type of collision is more complex to analyze, but the principles of conservation still apply.