18v drill battery to 5v regulator?

In summary: According to the data sheet an input capacitor is only needed when input is greater than 32v so hopefully this will be all I need
Coxyboy
18v drill battery to 5v regulator??

Hi I have been doing a bit of research but am still a little unsure,
I am trying to charge an iPhone from a dewalt drill battery,

What I have so far is that the iPhone is a 5v 1000ma supply
And the dewalt battery is 18v lithium ion

Can I use a 7805 regulator or will I have to use a 7812 regulator first?
Also what heat sinks etc would I need

Thanks for any help
Sorry not up on the electronics ! Ha

Engineering news on Phys.org
Coxyboy said:
Hi I have been doing a bit of research but am still a little unsure,
I am trying to charge an iPhone from a dewalt drill battery,

What I have so far is that the iPhone is a 5v 1000ma supply
And the dewalt battery is 18v lithium ion

Can I use a 7805 regulator or will I have to use a 7812 regulator first?
Also what heat sinks etc would I need

Thanks for any help
Sorry not up on the electronics ! Ha

It would be much more efficient (the Dewalt battery will last longer, and you won't need heat sinks) if you use a switching DC-DC buck regulator to convert from 12V to 5V. You may be able to find a pre-built one, or there may be simple electronics kits that you could solder together to do this...

This regulates the voltage - USB Charger

Any choice of these is the power supply, ensure it is rated at 7.4v or 2s (3.7*2) - Batteries

These are the proper plugs for the battery(s), "female" are for the batteries - Plugs/adapters

Chargers can be had on the cheap too, most are offered without a power supply themselves - Cheap wall charger good for 3000mah (about a 5 hour charging time)

probably total $40-50 incl shipment to an open trade area for a 3000mah power supply for usb charging...not bad at all. Oh but requires mere guerrilla precision soldering skills.

Last edited:
Coxyboy said:
Will something like this do?
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251276533029&cmd=VIDESC
How will I get a consistent 5v supply out and it has a vout range above and below?

I don't see a datasheet at that page (I may have missed it), so it's not clear how to set the output voltage. I'd stick with a fixed version, like the one I posted. Because cars use 12V batteries, 12V to 5V step-down converters are pretty common.

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
I don't see a datasheet at that page (I may have missed it), so it's not clear how to set the output voltage. I'd stick with a fixed version, like the one I posted. Because cars use 12V batteries, 12V to 5V step-down converters are pretty common.

Will this be suitable ?

http://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/switching-regulators/6664379/

As I am In The uk I have been checking local sites will I need anything else?
Sorry for the questions
Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Coxyboy said:
Will this be suitable ?

http://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/switching-regulators/6664379/

As I am In The uk I have been checking local sites will I need anything else?
Sorry for the questions
Thank you in advance

That looks like a reasonable candidate. Check the datasheet to see if you need to add external capacitors --they may be included inside though.

berkeman said:
That looks like a reasonable candidate. Check the datasheet to see if you need to add external capacitors --they may be included inside though.

http://www.tracopower.com/products/tsr1.pdf

According to the data sheet an input capacitor is only needed when input is greater than 32v so hopefully this will be all I need I will order it and let you know how I get on thanks

Related to 18v drill battery to 5v regulator?

1. What is a "18v drill battery to 5v regulator"?

A "18v drill battery to 5v regulator" is a device that converts the high voltage output of an 18v drill battery into a steady 5v output. This allows the battery to power low voltage devices that require a 5v input.

2. How does a "18v drill battery to 5v regulator" work?

The regulator uses a series of electronic components, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors, to regulate the voltage output. It takes the high voltage input from the battery and steps it down to a steady 5v output using a process called voltage regulation.

3. What types of devices can be powered by a "18v drill battery to 5v regulator"?

A "18v drill battery to 5v regulator" can power a variety of low voltage devices, such as smartphones, tablets, and other electronic gadgets. It can also be used to power microcontrollers, sensors, and other electronic components in DIY projects.

4. Are there different types of "18v drill battery to 5v regulators"?

Yes, there are different types of "18v drill battery to 5v regulators" available in the market. Some use linear regulation, which dissipates excess voltage as heat, while others use switching regulation, which is more efficient and produces less heat. The type of regulator you choose will depend on your specific needs and the device you are powering.

5. Is it safe to use a "18v drill battery to 5v regulator"?

Yes, as long as it is used properly and according to the manufacturer's instructions, a "18v drill battery to 5v regulator" is safe to use. It is important to ensure that the regulator is compatible with your battery and the device you are powering. Additionally, always follow proper safety precautions when working with electronics and batteries.