Learn Mandatory LaTeX with PF: A Step-by-Step Guide

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: WarrenIs it working now?- Warren\psilooks like it works; good job!- WarrenIn summary, PF is implementing LaTeX on PF with the use of a new bbcode [ tex][ /tex] or [ latex][ /latex], allowing members to use LaTeX code within the tags to display equations. Additional features include a popup window for displaying code, and the ability to use macros. However, there may be some issues with image generation and server speed.
Hah! Missing terminator

The third Pauli matrix is

[tex]/sigma_{3} = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}\right}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you forgot a [ /tex]:

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Let's see,

[tex]\sigma_{3} = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

Once more

[tex]\sigma_{3} = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}\right}
[/tex]

Hah! Missing terminator

[tex]\sigma_{3} = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Huh, That stuff before wasn't what I entered. Let's see if this one works
[tex]
g_{c}(A^{k}) = k_{s(e)}^{-1}g_{e}(A)k_{t(e)}
[/tex]

Okay! Wahooo!

Last edited:
[tex]
\begin{array}{| c | c |}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{array}
{| c | c |}\hline 1&0\\ \hline 0&-1\\ \hline \end{array}
[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex] \phi [/tex]

[tex] {\color{red} \phi} [/tex]

[tex]{\it Let \phi denote the angle between ...}[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{array}{|c|c|}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}
[/tex]

uh...i am not sure what i am supposed to do?

[tex]What_sort of ^crazy stuff i_s th^is ?[/tex]

Originally posted by Zero
[tex]What_sort of ^crazy stuff i_s th^is ?[/tex]
Nooo!

[tex]what^{\it sort}_{\it of}crazy^{\it stuff}_{\it is}this?[/tex]

[tex]well_k^o then[/tex]

This is going to take some practice.

Last edited:
i am unsure of how to use the latex script?

You basically just type some latex code between [ tex] and [ /tex].

It allows math symbols and notation to be displayed neatly. You just need to learn how to code in tex:

"\alpha" results in [tex]\alpha[/tex]
"g_{\mu \nu} --> [tex]g_{\mu \nu}[/tex]

It will be a BIG plus for the science forums at PF.

More trials:

[tex]
\begin{array}{| c | c |}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}
[/tex]

Last edited:
I'm getting the impresion that, if I get the message "Latex graphic is being generated, reload in a moment" the very first time I submit, the graphic never gets to be there... can that be the case?

There are a couple posts I made last night that are still in that state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Improperly aligned tensor indices:

[tex]R^a_{bcd}[/tex]

Properly aligned tensor indices:

[tex]R^a{}_{bcd}[/tex]

[tex]Great_{\it I was}{}^{\it wondering}{}_{\it how to do}{}^{\it that!}[/tex]

[tex]Great_{\it I {}was}{}^{\it wondering}{}_{\it how {}to{} do}{}^{\it that!}[/tex]

Last edited:
Trying spacers:

[tex]Great_{\it I\ was}{}^{\it wondering}{}_{\it how~to~do}{}^{\it that!}[/tex]

Non-italicized super/subscripts:

[tex]v^{\rm top}[/tex], [tex]v_{\rm bottom}[/tex]

So when are we letting this go mainstream?

Wishlist

For light-gray post backgrounds, the TeX images look okay, but their borders don't look so good against the posts with dark-gray backgrounds. Is there any way to get it to antialias to different background colors depending on which post it's in?

It might be nice to supplement the default installation with some extra packages and fonts, like amsmath (amsfonts, amssymb), wasysym, marvosym, etc. Maybe we could even add some forum-specific user-defined macros of our own.

Originally posted by Ambitwistor
For light-gray post backgrounds, the TeX images look okay, but their borders don't look so good against the posts with dark-gray backgrounds. Is there any way to get it to antialias to different background colors depending on which post it's in?
This kind of bugs me too -- but there's no way to determine exactly what background color to antialias to. I think the best solution to it might actually be to change the default color scheme for the site -- but I don't know what to do about that yet. It would look a little prettier if the antialiasing were exactly correct, I know.
It might be nice to supplement the default installation with some extra packages and fonts, like amsmath (amsfonts, amssymb), wasysym, marvosym, etc. Maybe we could even add some forum-specific user-defined macros of our own.
amsmath, amsfonts, and amssymb are already included -- give 'em a try. As far as the others, sure -- we can add them. Let me know.

- Warren

[tex]R^a_{bcd}[/tex]

[tex]R^a{}_{bcd}[/tex]

[tex]
\overline{x}
\hat{x}
\check{x}
\tilde{x}
\acute{x}
\grave{x}
\dot{x}
\ddot{x}
\breve{x}
\bar{x}
\vec{x}
\underline{x}
[/tex]

[tex]
A\xleftarrow{n+\mu-1}B \xrightarrow[T]{n\pm i-1}C
[/tex]

Last edited:

[tex]R^a_{bcd}[/tex]

[tex]R^a{}_{bcd}[/tex]

Ambi, you're still having the problem where new replies not working, but edits working? Hold on just a sec...

- Warren

[tex]
\overline{x}
\hat{x}
\check{x}
\tilde{x}
\acute{x}
\grave{x}
\dot{x}
\ddot{x}
\breve{x}
\bar{x}
\vec{x}
\underline{x}
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
\overline{y}
\hat{y}
\check{y}
\tilde{y}
\acute{y}
\grave{y}
\dot{y}
\ddot{y}
\breve{y}
\bar{y}
\vec{y}
\underline{y}
[/tex]

[tex]
A\yleftarrow{n+\mu-1}B \yrightarrow[T]{n\pm i-1}C
[/tex]

[tex]
\overline{y}
\hat{y}
\check{y}
\tilde{y}
\acute{y}
\grave{y}
\dot{y}
\ddot{y}
\breve{y}
\bar{y}
\vec{y}
\underline{y}
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

OMG, I'm a moron! newrepy.php should work now.

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
[tex]
\overline{y}
\hat{y}
\check{y}
\tilde{y}
\acute{y}
\grave{y}
\dot{y}
\ddot{y}
\breve{y}
\bar{y}
\vec{y}
\underline{y}
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

Maybe overzealous on the search-and-replace on those x's, eh?

[tex]
[/tex]

Maybe overzealous on the search-and-replace on those x's, eh?

[tex]
[/tex]

Okay.. new replies should work. The post preview and topic reviews now show a better message:

LaTeX image not viewable here.

This should mean the end of the dreaded "LaTeX image being generated." message.

- Warren

<h2>1. What is LaTeX and why is it important for scientists?</h2><p>LaTeX is a typesetting software used for creating professional-looking documents, particularly in the fields of science and mathematics. It is important for scientists because it allows for precise and consistent formatting of complex equations, tables, and figures, making it easier to communicate research findings in a clear and organized manner.</p><h2>2. How can I get started with learning LaTeX?</h2><p>The best way to get started with learning LaTeX is to familiarize yourself with the basic syntax and commands. There are many online resources, such as tutorials and guides, that can help you get started. You can also practice by working on small projects and gradually increasing the complexity as you become more comfortable with the software.</p><h2>3. What is the difference between LaTeX and other word processing software?</h2><p>Unlike other word processing software, LaTeX uses a markup language to format documents, which allows for more precise control over the layout and design. It also has built-in features for handling complex mathematical equations and referencing, making it a preferred choice for scientific writing.</p><h2>4. Can I use LaTeX for collaborative writing?</h2><p>Yes, LaTeX has features that allow for collaborative writing, such as version control and the ability to merge changes from multiple authors. However, it may require some additional setup and knowledge of the software's collaboration tools.</p><h2>5. Is LaTeX difficult to learn?</h2><p>Learning LaTeX may seem daunting at first, but with practice and patience, it can become a valuable tool for scientists. The syntax may take some time to get used to, but there are many resources available to help you along the way. As with any new skill, it takes time and practice to become proficient.</p>

1. What is LaTeX and why is it important for scientists?

LaTeX is a typesetting software used for creating professional-looking documents, particularly in the fields of science and mathematics. It is important for scientists because it allows for precise and consistent formatting of complex equations, tables, and figures, making it easier to communicate research findings in a clear and organized manner.

2. How can I get started with learning LaTeX?

The best way to get started with learning LaTeX is to familiarize yourself with the basic syntax and commands. There are many online resources, such as tutorials and guides, that can help you get started. You can also practice by working on small projects and gradually increasing the complexity as you become more comfortable with the software.

3. What is the difference between LaTeX and other word processing software?

Unlike other word processing software, LaTeX uses a markup language to format documents, which allows for more precise control over the layout and design. It also has built-in features for handling complex mathematical equations and referencing, making it a preferred choice for scientific writing.

4. Can I use LaTeX for collaborative writing?

Yes, LaTeX has features that allow for collaborative writing, such as version control and the ability to merge changes from multiple authors. However, it may require some additional setup and knowledge of the software's collaboration tools.

5. Is LaTeX difficult to learn?

Learning LaTeX may seem daunting at first, but with practice and patience, it can become a valuable tool for scientists. The syntax may take some time to get used to, but there are many resources available to help you along the way. As with any new skill, it takes time and practice to become proficient.