Biology vs Electronics: Can Electronic Systems Simulate Biology?

In summary, biologists believe that it is possible to simulate any biological system in an electronic system, but there are some features that cannot be simulated.
Moni
Biology Vs Electronics !

Hi!
I am not a “Biology” man! But I have an interesting question that I always think of:

We have seen many sci-fi usually Asimov stories that robots are becoming - humans! These homo sapiens as far as I know very complex system specially the brain – nervous system. But my question to the biologist over here: Can it be ever possible that any electronic system can simulate any biological system?

That means from your point of view which biological features are possible to simulate in electronic system and which are not?

Biology news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Moni
Hi!
I am not a “Biology” man! But I have an interesting question that I always think of:

We have seen many sci-fi usually Asimov stories that robots are becoming - humans! These homo sapiens as far as I know very complex system specially the brain – nervous system. But my question to the biologist over here: Can it be ever possible that any electronic system can simulate any biological system?

That means from your point of view which biological features are possible to simulate in electronic system and which are not?
I think an electronic system could ..'simulate' a biological system. Even Biology seems to most simply be a number of simple process, each relating to other processes in a way which builds up huge complexity over the many numbers of simple processes.

Of course though, an electronic version will be different to the biological version, but the end product may be essentially the same IMO.

Computer viruses do. Interesting that you said "biological system" rather than life.

They spread by a contagion vector.
They require a host to reproduce their "genetic" information.

Njorl

Another.G.
As you mentioned that there can be made some equavalent system i.e. Output will be the same...

I think this can be done only for the macro level...but in the micro level that may be not possible...

Originally posted by Njorl
Computer viruses do. Interesting that you said "biological system" rather than life.

They spread by a contagion vector.
They require a host to reproduce their "genetic" information.

Njorl

Good point...I can say it a Biological behaviour... :smile:

Computer generatied simulation games...and others with AI can represent Biological Behaviour...

But in the Micro level...what system exists there?

well it depends what you mean.

If you mean "can you get an electronic system to hold physical information in one location, change the form of that information so that it can be moved into another area, and then have the changed form of the information be turned into machinery", then I think 'Absolutely! Electronics would be able to do that just as well as biology' (IMO...can't really be certain).
But if you mean "Can you get an electronic system to hold the genetic code, have it transcribed into an RNA code, and then have that RNA translated into proteins.' then of course not. Electronics is not biology.

There will just about always be a different version of the same idea. But the closer your try to make the two system, the more they just become the one system.

Your words are fine :smile:

For the 1st part I agree...of course this is possible.

Todays genetics sci. are using softwares and special hardwares a lot.

But I am focusing on the 2nd part.

Suppose you have lost you two eyes...
And there is no *biological* eyes available...

Then can there be any electronic eye...that can be used there?
I mean, it will send those signals those are sent by the previous *flesh* eye ball?

Then can there be any electronic eye...that can be used there?
Yes certainly. Though not very practical at the moment, scientists are indeed working on such "bionic eyes". Currently the quality is very low, only about 20 pixels, but the basic idea works. We just need to perfect the technology. After all, it is just electrical signals we are talking about.

Originally posted by FZ+
Yes certainly. Though not very practical at the moment, scientists are indeed working on such "bionic eyes". Currently the quality is very low, only about 20 pixels, but the basic idea works. We just need to perfect the technology. After all, it is just electrical signals we are talking about.

Really Then why not other parts...hands...legs...etc.
CYBORG?

Then this I can say that a biological system is simulated or transplanted by electronic system...thus we may simulate a full human body, isn't it?

At the present time all these things are at the level of prosthetics, meaning that they give their owners some help where there was none before, but they are far, far, from a true replacement of the lost function. It might be useful to counter the hype with asking, how much better is this technology than a wooden leg?

Hmm... but if someone wants to start...from where he'll start?
I mean, from which perspective he have to observe the biological systems?

1. What is the main difference between biology and electronics?

The main difference between biology and electronics is that biology is the study of living organisms and their processes, while electronics is the study of electronic systems and their components. Biology is a natural science, while electronics is a branch of engineering.

2. Can electronic systems accurately simulate biological processes?

While electronic systems can be designed to mimic certain aspects of biological processes, they cannot fully simulate them. Biological processes are complex and involve interactions between various molecules and systems, which cannot be replicated by electronic systems.

3. What are the advantages of using electronic systems to study biology?

Electronic systems can provide a controllable and reproducible environment to study biological processes. They can also process and analyze data quickly, allowing for more efficient research and experimentation. Additionally, electronic systems can be used to model and predict biological behaviors, aiding in the development of new treatments and technologies.

4. Are there any ethical concerns with using electronic systems in biology?

As with any scientific research, there are ethical considerations to be taken into account when using electronic systems in biology. These may include the use of animal or human tissue in experiments, as well as potential risks and consequences of manipulating biological processes through electronic means.

5. How can the fields of biology and electronics work together?

The fields of biology and electronics can work together through interdisciplinary research and collaboration. By combining the knowledge and techniques from both fields, innovative solutions can be developed to address complex biological challenges, such as disease treatment and environmental conservation. Additionally, advancements in electronics can also aid in the study and understanding of biological systems.