The Noisy Upstairs Neighbors

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
In summary: A nontrivial relation between the parameters of the Standard Model will be calculated theoretically by 2030.I believe that this is a realistic goal and the likelihood is high. With advancements in technology and theoretical techniques, I believe that we will be able to uncover more connections and relations between the parameters of the Standard Model in the coming years.In summary, it is difficult to give numerical odds for these events, but I believe that the progress and advancements in physics will continue to surprise us and lead us towards a better understanding of the universe. Thank you again for the opportunity to share my thoughts.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
everybody now gets to enjoy the arguments by the upstairs neighbors
talking in sps
and Thomas Larsson was just saying to Urs Schreiber and Lubos Motl
(in post #7 of Supergravity Billiards thread)

"Hmrph. It is hardly some random symmetry such as that I suggest. The
diffeomorphism group is *the* correct symmetry of GR (ask Rovelli!)."

and Lubos responded that I would hope we wouldn't need to ask Rovelli!

----------

but in Rovelli's recent paper gr-qc/0403047
he seems to be suggesting that a larger group (extended diffeos) would work and maybe just the plain unextended diffeos are not the right group

because when things are quantized they leave spurious unphyiscal clutter around, like adolescents who do not clean up their rooms

so you'd think that from Rovelli's perspective the diffeomorphism group
is NOT *the* correct symmetry of GR, despite what these fellows say.

-----------
Today Lubos offered a bookmaker-odds type questionnaire to
Nima Arkani-Hamed. Nima is a physicist at Harvard's Jefferson Lab, with whom Lubos co-authored in 2001. They are probably buddies and Lubos knows him well enough to ask him to estimate probabilities of things like this.

----quote---
Prof. Arkani-Hamed: imagine that you are a bookmaker, and you task is to
estimate the probability of the following events (of course, if you
write a more detailed answer, it will be appreciated):

1. The LHC will find convincing evidence of supersymmetry by 2010.
2. A collider or another experiment will see evidence of large extra
dimensions or warped extra dimensions by 2015.
3. An investigation of CMB nongaussianities will support the idea of the
ghost condensate by 2015.
4. String theorists will only be a small group in the math departments
in 2015.
5. The cultural barrier between the phenomenologists and the string
theorists will significantly diminish by 2010.
6. It will be possible for string theory to give a successful and
completely new prediction about physics, even without knowing anything
about the "right vacuum" within the landscape.
7. A nontrivial relation between the parameters of the Standard Model
will be calculated theoretically by 2030.

-------end quote----

except for 4, this looks like a fairly comprehensive wish-list.
I think that 3. is something Nima would have specialized knowledge and interest relating to---some of the other questions are rather general so perhaps no one would have special insight into them.

it is an interesting wish-list, maybe as much can be learned from studying the list as could be from studying the answers. from my outside perspective it looks like a tall order to answer, at least with numerical odds

maybe Nima will not give numerical odds but only say subjective things like "high probability", "low-to-medium probability"-----this could not be used to place bets at the racetrack but is better than nothing

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for those who are curious.

Dear Nima,

Thank you for taking the time to answer this questionnaire. I am always interested in hearing the opinions and insights of my colleagues. I found your responses to be very thought-provoking and would like to offer my own thoughts on the matter.

1. The LHC will find convincing evidence of supersymmetry by 2010.
I believe that the possibility of finding evidence for supersymmetry is high, but I would not say that it is a certainty. There are many factors that could affect the outcome, such as the energy reach of the LHC and the nature of supersymmetry breaking. However, with the amount of effort and resources being put into this search, I would say that the likelihood is high.

2. A collider or another experiment will see evidence of large extra dimensions or warped extra dimensions by 2015.
This is a difficult question to answer, as it depends on the specific experiment and the nature of extra dimensions. I would say that the likelihood is medium to low, as there are still many unknowns and challenges in detecting extra dimensions.

3. An investigation of CMB nongaussianities will support the idea of the ghost condensate by 2015.
As you mentioned, this is an area of interest for me and my colleagues. I would say that the likelihood is medium to high, as there have been some promising results in recent years and the ghost condensate theory is gaining more attention and support.

4. String theorists will only be a small group in the math departments in 2015.
I find this question to be somewhat irrelevant to the progress of physics. The number of string theorists may fluctuate, but the importance and impact of their work should not be judged by their numbers.

5. The cultural barrier between the phenomenologists and the string theorists will significantly diminish by 2010.
I believe that this is already happening to some extent, but there is still room for improvement. I would say that the likelihood is medium to high, as more and more physicists are beginning to see the connections between these two areas of research.

6. It will be possible for string theory to give a successful and completely new prediction about physics, even without knowing anything about the "right vacuum" within the landscape.
This is a difficult question to answer, as it involves the unknowns of the landscape and the nature of string theory itself. I would say that the likelihood is

It seems that there is a discussion happening between Thomas Larsson, Urs Schreiber, Lubos Motl, and Rovelli about the correct symmetry of GR and its relation to extended diffeos. While Larsson believes the diffeomorphism group is the correct symmetry, Lubos points out that Rovelli's recent paper suggests otherwise. There is also mention of a bookmaker-odds questionnaire that Lubos posed to Nima Arkani-Hamed, which includes various physics-related predictions for the future.

As an AI, I don't have the expertise to comment on the correctness of the diffeomorphism group or the validity of Rovelli's paper. However, it is interesting to see the different perspectives and discussions within the physics community. It also seems that Lubos is trying to get Nima's opinion on various predictions for the future of physics. While these questions may be difficult to answer with numerical odds, they do provide food for thought and can spark further discussions and research.

1. Who are the noisy upstairs neighbors?

The noisy upstairs neighbors are the individuals who live in the apartment directly above yours and are causing disturbance with loud noises.

2. What kind of noises do they make?

The type of noises can vary, but commonly include loud footsteps, stomping, furniture dragging, loud music or TV, and other general activities that cause disturbance.

3. How can I address the issue with my noisy upstairs neighbors?

You can address the issue by first trying to communicate with your neighbors in a calm and respectful manner. If this does not work, you can file a noise complaint with your landlord or the authorities if necessary.

4. Can noise from upstairs neighbors be harmful?

Noise from upstairs neighbors may not necessarily be harmful, but it can definitely be a nuisance and affect your quality of life and sleep. Constant loud noise can also lead to stress and other health issues.

5. What are some ways to reduce the noise from upstairs neighbors?

Some ways to reduce noise from upstairs neighbors include using earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones, adding rugs or carpeting to your floor, and using white noise machines or fans to drown out the noise.