1500w 120vac variable power control

In summary, this circuit is potentially dangerous and should only be used if all metal parts are covered.
T Handy
Hello,

I've got an extremely limited background in electronics, so I'd like to ask for some advice regarding this circuit:

6wWj6.jpg

I found the diagram online, It's supposed to allow variable control of a load up to 1500w at 120v, using an ordinary light dimmer and a 600V / 40A triac.

After doing some research on the subject, I found a few warnings that boiled down to "do not control a large load with a light dimmer because regardless of rating, dimmers use phase switching and introduce direct current into the neutral line and multiple harmonics into the power supply frequency"

A few people have told me this is not a concern, but I'd feel better if someone with some electrical engineering in their background could advise one way or the other.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

Your question is a little general: what is it that you're trying to control, and in what environment? (e.g. a trough heater in a barn vs. a peristaltic pump in a hospital)

Light dimmers use triacs and so give a symmetrical output to a lamp. So, they do not produce DC in the neutral line.

It will certainly introduce harmonics, though. Light dimmers are notorious for producing radio interference.
I had a couple and got rid of them for this reason.

That circuit looks like it might work OK. I keep wanting to put a resistor from the gate to MT1.
I guess the worst that could happen is you could blow up a triac and the load would get power all the time.

The gate current is a bit of a worry, though. It would be about an amp. So, you could check for the maximum rating of your triac.

As a safety warning, you probably realize that the voltages in this circuit are very dangerous and you should not even turn it on unless all metal parts are covered.

I've seen Triac based dimmers used in theatre work that have a heat sink about as long as my arm. So, there'll always be someone willing to take it to insanety. Then again, when it comes to driving 10,000 watt Xenon lamps, maybe that's the right answer.

If you're looking to control a heater, I'd simply buy a zero-crossing module and pucky it to a heat sink about the size of your hand. With a thermal time constant in the minutes, your controller won't even realize that your PWM rate is only .5Hz...

Related to 1500w 120vac variable power control

1. What is the purpose of a 1500w 120vac variable power control?

A 1500w 120vac variable power control is used to regulate the amount of power that is supplied to an electrical device. It allows for adjustable voltage and current, making it useful for controlling the speed or intensity of motors, heaters, and other electronic equipment.

2. How does a 1500w 120vac variable power control work?

A 1500w 120vac variable power control works by using electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors to adjust the flow of electricity to the device it is connected to. By changing the resistance or capacitance, the control can vary the amount of power being delivered.

3. Can a 1500w 120vac variable power control be used with any type of device?

Yes, a 1500w 120vac variable power control can be used with a wide variety of devices, as long as they operate within the specified voltage and power range. It is commonly used in household appliances, industrial equipment, and electronic devices.

4. Is it safe to use a 1500w 120vac variable power control?

As with any electrical device, it is important to follow safety precautions when using a 1500w 120vac variable power control. Make sure to read the instructions and use the control properly to avoid any potential risks. It is also recommended to have a qualified electrician install the control.

5. Are there any alternatives to a 1500w 120vac variable power control?

Yes, there are other types of power controls available, such as fixed voltage regulators and pulse width modulation (PWM) controllers. However, a 1500w 120vac variable power control offers the advantage of adjustable power output, making it more versatile for different applications.