15.2.66 Solve by reversing the reversing the order of integration

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, reversing the order of integration in a 15.2.66 problem involves swapping the limits and order of the integrals. This can simplify a problem that is difficult to solve in its original order. There are three types of integrals in a 15.2.66 problem: single, double, and triple. An example of reversing the order of integration is switching the limits and order in an integral such as ∫<sub>0</sub><sup>3</sup>∫<sub>0</sub><sup>4</sup> f(x,y) dydx to ∫<sub>0</sub><sup>4</sup>∫<sub>0</sub><sup>
karush
Gold Member
MHB
solve by reversing the reversing the order of integration
this was given:
\begin{align*}\displaystyle
I&=\int_0^8 \int_{\sqrt[3]{x}}^2
\left[\frac{x}{y^7+1}\right]dy \, dx\\
\end{align*}
ok I put this in an dbl int calculor but it turned the order around to
I&=\int_{\sqrt[3]{x}}^2 \int_0^8
\end{align*}

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: 15.2.66 solve by reversing the reversing the order of integration

So what's your question? :)

karush said:
solve by reversing the reversing the order of integration
this was given:
I&=\int_0^8 \int_{\sqrt[3]{x}}^2
\end{align*}

I would begin by plotting the region over which we are to integrate:

View attachment 7254

The integral as given is using vertical strips...and we need to use horizontal strips instead.

In order to reverse the order of integration, we need to observe that we have:

\(\displaystyle 0\le x\le y^3\)...the upper limit was obtained from $y=\sqrt[3]{x}$...

\(\displaystyle 0\le y\le 2\)

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^2\int_0^{y^3}\frac{x}{y^7+1}\,dx\,dy\)

Now you will be able to integrate...can you continue?

Attachments

• karush15266.png
    karush15266.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 49

we got
$\frac{\ln\left({129}\right)}{14}$

karush said:
we got
$\frac{\ln\left({129}\right)}{14}$

Yes:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^2\int_0^{y^3}\frac{x}{y^7+1}\,dx\,dy=\int_0^2\frac{1}{y^7+1}\int_0^{y^3}x\,dx\,dy=\frac{1}{2}\int_0^2\frac{1}{y^7+1}\int_0^{y^3}\left[x^2\right]_0^{y^3}\,dy\)

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\int_0^2\frac{y^6}{y^7+1}\,dy=\frac{1}{14}\int_0^2\frac{7y^6}{y^7+1}\,dy=\frac{1}{14}\int_1^{129}\frac{1}{u}\,du=\frac{1}{14}\left[\ln(u)\right]_1^{129}=\frac{1}{14}\ln(129)\)

Related to 15.2.66 Solve by reversing the reversing the order of integration

1. How do you reverse the order of integration for a 15.2.66 problem?

The process of reversing the order of integration involves swapping the limits of integration and the order of the integrals. This can be done by identifying the type of integral (single, double, or triple) and then following a specific set of steps to reverse the order.

2. Why would you need to reverse the order of integration in a 15.2.66 problem?

Sometimes, the original order of integration may be difficult to solve or may lead to a complicated integral. Reversing the order can simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

3. What are the different types of integrals in a 15.2.66 problem?

In a 15.2.66 problem, there are three types of integrals: single, double, and triple. Single integrals involve a single variable, double integrals involve two variables, and triple integrals involve three variables.

4. Can you provide an example of reversing the order of integration in a 15.2.66 problem?

For example, if the original integral is written as ∫0304 f(x,y) dydx, then the reversed integral would be ∫0403 f(x,y) dxdy.

5. What are some tips for successfully reversing the order of integration in a 15.2.66 problem?

Some tips for reversing the order of integration include identifying the type of integral, drawing a diagram to visualize the region of integration, and carefully swapping the limits and the order of the integrals. It is also helpful to double-check your work and make sure the final integral is equivalent to the original one.