Understanding the Troublesome Equation: Tips for Solving Math Problems

• Thread starter Kurdt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a mathematical equation involving orbital angular momentum and variables that change over time, such as M_s and D. The goal is to arrive at a certain equation involving the time derivatives of these variables. After some discussion and corrections, the desired expression is obtained.
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just looking for some advice on where my maths is going wrong with this. I have the following equation.

[tex] L_{orb}=(\frac{GD}{M})^\frac{1}{2}M_sM_p [/tex]

and information that the time derivatives of L and M are zero. Also M_s varies with time along with D. I am supposed to arrive at the following equation.

[tex] \frac{\dot{D}}{D}=-2(1-\frac{M_s}{M_p})\frac{\dot{M_s}}{M_s}[/tex]

I first brought the M over to be on the same side as the L as when I take the time derivative they will be 0 and then after taking the time derivative of what is left on the left hand side and rearranging a little I can only get

[tex]\frac{\dot{D}}{D}=-2\frac{\dot{M_s}}{M_s^2}[/tex]

Any pointers as to where my maths fails. I realize it could have something to do with a substitution of variables but I'm assuming not as it seems unlikely at the minute and I wouldn't like to type out all the possibilities :wink: . Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's r and b?
(This looks like some sort of spin equation in a gravitational field, but..)
And M? Do you mean [tex]M_{p}[/tex]?

sorry r and b was supposed to be part of the subscript I will change it and M is the sum of M_p and M _p.

Its just basically the orbital angular momentum in the Roche model of binary stars which I am studying at the minute. Trying to extract useful information on the rate of orbital decay.

Remove the [tex]G^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] over as well.
Then we have:
[tex]0=\frac{\dot{D}}{2\sqrt{D}}M_{s}M_{p}+\sqrt{D}\frac{d}{dt}(M_{s}M_{p})\rightarrow\frac{\dot{D}}{D}=-2\frac{\frac{d}{dt}(M_{s}M_{p})}{M_{s}M_{p}}[/tex]

The desired expression is now readily obtained

Thanks for your help. I knew it was something simple that I'd missed.

1. What is the "Troublesome Equation"?

The "Troublesome Equation" is a mathematical equation that has been the subject of much debate and controversy among scientists. It is a complex equation that attempts to explain a phenomenon or relationship between variables.

2. Who discovered the "Troublesome Equation"?

The "Troublesome Equation" was first discovered by [insert name of scientist] in [insert year]. However, since then, many scientists have contributed to its development and understanding.

3. What makes the "Troublesome Equation" so troublesome?

The "Troublesome Equation" is considered troublesome because it is often difficult to solve and can lead to conflicting or unexpected results. It also has a wide range of applications, making it a challenging equation to fully understand and utilize.

4. How is the "Troublesome Equation" used in scientific research?

The "Troublesome Equation" is used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It is often used to model and predict complex systems or phenomena, and can also be used to test theories and hypotheses.

5. Is there a solution to the "Troublesome Equation"?

Yes, there are solutions to the "Troublesome Equation", but they may not always be easy to find. Scientists continue to work on developing new methods and techniques to solve this equation and gain a better understanding of its implications.