13th Hour Decision to Do a BSc. Physics in India

In summary, the individual is a 20-year-old science student who has just cleared their 12th grade from CBSE after having to skip the exams twice due to medical reasons. Their scores for this year are: English - 46, Physics - 71, Chemistry - 78, Mathematics - 33, Computer Science - 77. They plan to take the SAT in June and apply for Fall in the US next year. In the meantime, they want to take up a BSc. course in India, preferably in a city with a Metro culture such as Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata, or Delhi. They are concerned about their low 12th grade scores and hope to find good colleges with entrance exams. They have also considered
aishwaryaj
Hi,

I'm a 20 year old science student, having just cleared my 12th from CBSE. I skipped the 12th exams twice for several medical reasons, and my scores this year are as follows:

Eng: 46
Phy: 71
Chem: 78
Math: 33
CompSci: 77

I will send the English paper for a re-eval, since I wasn't expecting anything less than a 90, but that's only relevant here as far as the GPA goes.

I'm planning to appear for the SAT in June this year, but the winter sessions do not leave me with many colleges, so I will probably be applying for Fall next year. I have a great extra-currics record, so I suppose I can easily make up for this crappy GPA with that, and a 2250+ score in the SAT.

Meanwhile, I do not want to spend another year bumming around, and want to take up a BSc. course in India. Admissions for many colleges have already closed, although there are still some which are yet to release the forms. I WILL drop out next year to go to the US (or if all the Gods may have it, Max Planck in Germany.)

However, for this one year, I am looking for admission in a "good" city, aka something with a Metro culture, so that I can keep studying without getting stuck in the dredges of a dull degree-based lifestyle. Colleges in Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata and Delhi are what I'd aim for.

My 12th scores are horrible, so I hope there will be some good colleges with entrances (because I can study for those, my circumstances being a lot better.)

This is way too late a decision, but if there's a possible redemption of not getting stuck for a year in a nominally Physics classroom, I will be thrilled.

Thanks a lot for any help,
Aishwarya

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered the UK? You *may* be able to get in somewhere through 'clearing' - what UK students use to find places in the summer if their A levels aren't good enough for their first choice universities - you might even get in more easily than Brit. students this way:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1303700/Universities-tier-clearing-closes-door-Britons.html

UK universities don't bother with SATs - they want 'three good A levels' - so if those three 70+ scores are for exams deemed equivalent to A levels, this could be a good match for you...

mal4mac said:
if those three 70+ scores are for exams deemed equivalent to A levels, this could be a good match for you...

Been there, tried that :cool:
Sadly, there are no examinations in India that are considered equivalent to the A levels.
If you do plan on going to the UK, though, you can take the A level exams as an independent candidate via some IGCSE schools near your city.

sorry to say, but the situation is pretty bad. You could try for the CMI entrance exam or one of the ISI.

CMI entrance took place a day before you authored the post.try presidency college in kolkata.they have an entrance test.

Examinations in India *can be* considered equivalent to A levels. For example:

http://www.reading.ac.uk/Study/international/study-int-CountryPages-India.aspx

@mal4mac If you are referring to the table on the webpage, those are the minimum requirements in the Indian Education System, over which you will have to consider taking A levels according to the Admissions Tutor at Cambridge whom I contacted some time back.
Therefore, what they perhaps mean in that table is the rough estimate of what level of study you will go to the UK for, for having completed a corresponding level of education in India; but I am quite certain that the A levels are a must.

vhbelvadi said:
@mal4mac If you are referring to the table on the webpage, those are the minimum requirements in the Indian Education System, over which you will have to consider taking A levels according to the Admissions Tutor at Cambridge whom I contacted some time back.
Therefore, what they perhaps mean in that table is the rough estimate of what level of study you will go to the UK for, for having completed a corresponding level of education in India; but I am quite certain that the A levels are a must.

Every University in the UK has its own way of doing things. You cannot say "A levels are a must" for all UK universities simply by talking to one admissions tutor! Especially if he's at Cambridge :) Even UK people don't need A levels to enter some (very good) Universities:

"Some mature students get into higher education with A levels or with equivalent, work-related qualifications (like NVQs or a BTEC).

But traditional qualifications aren’t always necessary. Some institutions may give you credit for professional qualifications or relevant work experience. Others won’t always ask for formal qualifications because the course itself has units aimed at giving you the right study skills and ‘foundation’ knowledge."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/WhyGoToUniversityOrCollege/DG_4017026

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to 13th Hour Decision to Do a BSc. Physics in India

1. What is a BSc. Physics degree in India?

A BSc. Physics degree in India is an undergraduate program that focuses on the study of the fundamental principles of physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It also includes courses in mathematics, computer science, and laboratory work.

2. Why should I choose to pursue a BSc. Physics degree in India?

India has some of the top universities in the world offering high-quality education in physics. A BSc. Physics degree in India can provide a strong foundation in the subject and open up a wide range of career opportunities in research, academia, and industry. Additionally, the cost of education in India is relatively lower compared to other countries, making it an affordable option for many students.

3. What are the admission requirements for a BSc. Physics degree in India?

Admission requirements may vary depending on the university, but generally, students are required to have completed their secondary education (12 years of schooling) with a strong background in mathematics and science. They may also need to pass an entrance exam or meet a minimum GPA requirement.

4. What career opportunities are available with a BSc. Physics degree in India?

Graduates with a BSc. Physics degree in India can pursue careers in various fields such as research, teaching, engineering, data analysis, and more. They can also continue their education and pursue a Master's or PhD in physics or a related field.

5. What skills can I develop with a BSc. Physics degree in India?

A BSc. Physics degree in India can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical, and mathematical skills. Students also gain hands-on experience through laboratory work, which can enhance their technical and practical skills. Additionally, the program also focuses on developing communication and teamwork skills, which are essential in any career field.