12v DYNAMO driving 5v front & 10v rear LED lighting + DIAGRAM

In summary, a person is seeking advice on how to drive both front and rear lights off of one dynamo. The current setup includes a voltage regulator that drops the voltage from 12v to 5v and 10v respectively. However, only the headlight is currently working, and disconnecting it allows the rear lights to work. The person is looking for a solution to evenly distribute the current without wasting power. They are using a 5v headlight with a USB jack that requires a 5v input. The conversation also includes a suggestion to measure the input voltage of the LM317.
tslibertan
Hi,

I'm wondering how to drive front and rear lights off one dynamo. See diagram for current setup.

Lights are hooked up to dynamo in parallel.

The LM7805 and LM317 are voltage regulators which drop the voltage from 12v to 5v and 10v respectively.

Currently only the headlight works, the rear lights only work if I disconnect the fheadlight.
Basically it seems as though the headlight is hogging the current, and I assume this is due to some kind of impedance mismatch.

Is there something I can simply add to partition the current nicely? By 'nicely' I mean that I don't want to unnecessarily waste power.

I'm using a 5v headlight (1w heatsinked white LED module, from ebay) because it shares the LM7805 with a USB jack that is used for recharging ipods etc. Obviously there's wastage here, dropping from 12v to 5v, but that's just what USB requires.

Many thanks for any insight,

T.S.L

Attachments

• trailer_light.jpg
    trailer_light.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you measured the LM317s input voltage when the front light are on? According to the specifications, it needs an input of 3 volts or greater than the output (10v). Thats 13 volts and your dynamo is 12 volts.

Hi T.S.L.,

Thank you for sharing your setup and diagram. It seems like you are using a LM7805 voltage regulator to power your 5v front LED light and a LM317 voltage regulator to power your 10v rear LED lights. The issue you are facing is that the headlight is hogging the current and causing the rear lights to not work unless the headlight is disconnected. This could be due to an impedance mismatch, as you mentioned.

One solution you could try is using a current limiting resistor in series with each LED light. This will help to balance the current and prevent the headlight from hogging it all. You can calculate the appropriate resistor value using Ohm's law (R = V/I), where V is the voltage drop (12v - 5v = 7v for the front light, and 12v - 10v = 2v for the rear light) and I is the desired current for each light. This will help to partition the current evenly and prevent unnecessary power wastage.

Another option is to use a separate voltage regulator for each light. This would eliminate any potential impedance mismatch and allow each light to receive the appropriate voltage without affecting the other.

I hope this helps and good luck with your setup! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to 12v DYNAMO driving 5v front & 10v rear LED lighting + DIAGRAM

1. How does the 12v dynamo drive both 5v and 10v LED lighting?

The dynamo is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. By using a combination of gears and a voltage regulator, the dynamo is able to produce both 5v and 10v outputs to power the LED lighting.

2. What is the purpose of using a dynamo instead of a battery to power the LED lighting?

Using a dynamo eliminates the need for replacing batteries, making it a more sustainable and cost-effective option for powering the LED lighting. It also allows for a continuous power supply as long as the dynamo is in motion.

3. Can the 12v dynamo be used to power other electronic devices?

Yes, the 12v dynamo can be used to power other electronic devices as long as they require a voltage within the range of the dynamo's output. However, it is important to note that using the dynamo to power multiple devices may decrease the overall power output for each device.

4. Is a voltage regulator necessary for this system to work?

Yes, a voltage regulator is necessary to ensure that the correct voltage is supplied to each LED light. Without a voltage regulator, the varying output of the dynamo may damage the LED lights or cause them to malfunction.

5. Can this system be used for outdoor lighting or in harsh weather conditions?

Yes, this system can be used for outdoor lighting as long as the dynamo is properly protected from harsh weather conditions. It is important to ensure that the wiring and components are sealed and waterproof to prevent damage from rain or other elements.