12V / 6A Power supply. Help with Buck and Boost converters + OR'ing circuit

In summary, the individual wants a power supply that can provide up to 32V of input voltage (40V peak), and has the ability to deliver up to 10A of output current. He has looked into power supplies that already exist on the market, but has not found one that meets his specifications. He has found a Buck converter from Linear Technology that can produce a 12V x 10A output with a Vin range of 13 to 28V.
esm
Hello all.
Maybe someone here can give me suggestion of ICs and make considerations about this design.
The attached picture states how this power supply should work.

Details:

1) IC 1 probably will be a LT3650-8.4 from Linear Technology. It supports up to 32V of input voltage (40V peak). Suggestions of other ICs for this purpose?

2) The power supply INPUT has only two states: (A) Floating (cut-off) and (B) 17 to 30VDC present at the input.

3) The OR'ing circuit at the OUTPUT, as the picture shows, doesn't mean it will be done with diodes. It can be done with MOSFETs, relays, or any kind of logic control like, for example: When the INPUT is connected to a 17 to 30VDC PSU, a logic LOW is present in an ENABLE pin of the BOOST converter, so that this remains in idle state (Output in high impedance). When there is no power supply connected at the INPUT, the same ENABLE pin goes logic HIGH, so the BOOST converter goes to active mode and presents 12V at its output.

4) The intention of using batteries is, case the INPUT be floating, maintain the circuit connected to the 12V OUTPUT working for at least 10 minutes (If more, better), through the BOOST converter

5) Which BUCK and BOOST controllers could I use for this design (IC 2 and IC 3)?

6) How can I do the Or'ing circuit between Buck and Boost controllers? Some suggestions?

7) There are no restrictions if heatsinks are required. No restrictions with the final physical dimensions of the PCB. Just need to work.

8) No problem if external MOSFETs are required, both on Buck and Boost converters

9) Final cost of this PSU is not so important.

10) Preference to SMD packages in all the circuit, if possible.

11) The 12V OUTPUT can be designed to deliver more than 6A. No problem about that.

12) No need of insulation (Flyback / forward topology, for example). The topology can be modified to Flyback / Forward also

Maybe a Power supply like this already exist in the market (a final product I mean), meeting this specifications, or even better than, ready to use. I did some research about but didn't found any models.

For the time, all I found is a Buck converter from Linear Technology, based on a LTC1624. Example of a 12V x 10A output with Vin range of 13 to 28V using this converter:

Somebody help me ?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• POWER_SUPPLY.png
    POWER_SUPPLY.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 521
  • LTC1624.png
    LTC1624.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 512
Engineering news on Phys.org
ping @davenn . Can you help with this spring cleaning post?

Likes davenn
anorlunda said:
ping @davenn . Can you help with this spring cleaning post?

Unfortunately, I haven't had any experience in combining /switching regulator outputrs like he wants toDave

Related to 12V / 6A Power supply. Help with Buck and Boost converters + OR'ing circuit

1. What is a 12V / 6A power supply?

A 12V / 6A power supply is a type of power supply that provides a constant output of 12 volts and can handle a maximum current of 6 amps. This type of power supply is commonly used in electronic devices such as laptops, LED lights, and small appliances.

2. What is a Buck converter?

A Buck converter, also known as a step-down converter, is an electronic circuit that converts a higher input voltage to a lower output voltage. It is commonly used in power supplies to regulate the output voltage to a lower value.

3. What is a Boost converter?

A Boost converter, also known as a step-up converter, is an electronic circuit that converts a lower input voltage to a higher output voltage. It is commonly used in power supplies to boost the output voltage to a higher value.

4. What is an OR'ing circuit?

An OR'ing circuit, also known as a diode-OR circuit, is an electronic circuit that combines multiple power sources to provide a single output. It uses diodes to prevent backflow of current from one source to another, ensuring that the power sources do not interfere with each other.

5. How can I use Buck and Boost converters in an OR'ing circuit for a 12V / 6A power supply?

To use Buck and Boost converters in an OR'ing circuit for a 12V / 6A power supply, you can connect the output of the Buck converter to the input of the Boost converter, and then connect the output of the Boost converter to the OR'ing circuit. This will ensure that the output voltage is regulated to 12V and the current is limited to 6A, even when using multiple power sources.