What is the Limit of (4[(SQRT(x+2)) – (SQRT2))]/x as x approaches 0?

• Thread starter ladyrae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the problem is asking to find the limit of (4[(SQRT(x+2)) – (SQRT2))]/x as x approaches 0. The first instinct was to use a table and the result was estimated to be 1.414. However, using limit laws gave a result of 1. To solve it algebraically, the conjugate of the numerator was multiplied to get a limit of 1 as well. L'Hôpital's rule can also be used for this limit.
ladyrae
Help! Limit Problem

Find the limit by analytic methods:

lim x->0 (4[(SQRT(x+2)) – (SQRT2))]/x

The first part of the problem asked me to estimate the limit by using a table and I came up with 1.414.

I tried using the limit laws and came up with SQRT((4)(2))/(0+ SQRT((4)(2)))=1

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try multiplying a conjugate? That would be my first instinct.
Actually, my very first instinct would be to use L'Hospital's rule but I am guessing y'all haven't done that yet...?

L'Hôpital's rule works for this limit.

EDIT: It seems that someone else answered before me...I knew I shouldn't have wasted time trying to remember how to type an "o" with a circumflex.

Last edited:
L'Hôpital's rule should work, but it's still possible to find the limit with algebraic methods (and that might be how ladyrae is expected to do it).

We want to find:

[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{4(\sqrt{x+2} - \sqrt{2})}{x}
[/tex]

I agree with Math Is Hard: I would multiply the top and bottom by the numerator's conjugate, like this:

[tex]
\left(\frac{4(\sqrt{x+2} - \sqrt{2})}{x}\right)
\left(\frac{\sqrt{x+2} + \sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{x+2} + \sqrt{2}}\right)
[/tex]

Expanding that out, you should be able to plug in zero and find the limit directly.

Also note that your analytic result should be close to your table result (what you get from plugging in values exceedingly close to zero, like 0.000001). If you get 1.414 numerically and 1 analytically, you've probably made a mistake.

MC: Your circumflex "o" looks very elegant however. I think it was worth the trouble!

1. What is a limit problem?

A limit problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value or infinity. It is typically denoted as "lim" and is used to describe the behavior of a function near a particular point.

2. How do I solve a limit problem?

To solve a limit problem, you can use various techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, and L'Hospital's rule. It is important to also understand the properties of limits, such as the limit laws, to accurately solve the problem.

3. What is the purpose of finding limits?

Finding limits helps us understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values. It is also used to determine the continuity and differentiability of a function at a certain point.

4. What are some common types of limit problems?

Some common types of limit problems include determining the limit of a polynomial function, finding the limit of a rational function, and evaluating a limit involving trigonometric functions. Other types include limits involving exponential and logarithmic functions, as well as indeterminate forms such as 0/0 and ∞/∞.

5. How can I check if my limit problem is correct?

After solving a limit problem, you can check if your answer is correct by plugging in the limit value into the original function and seeing if the resulting value matches your answer. You can also use a graphing calculator or online tool to graph the function and visually confirm your answer.