Oldest living fossil discovered

• Thread starter timejim
  • Start date
In summary, a living fossil is a species that has remained unchanged for millions of years and can provide valuable information about the evolution of species. The oldest living fossil ever discovered is the horseshoe crab, which has been around for over 450 million years. Scientists determine the age of a living fossil by studying its physical characteristics, DNA, and comparing it to other fossils, as well as using radiometric dating techniques. Living fossils are important to scientific research as they offer a link between past and present species and insights into adaptation and survival. Not all living fossils are ancient species, as some have been thought to be extinct for millions of years but were rediscovered in modern times.
timejim
I think it was somewhere oiverseas but I'm not sure. Oh, please re-read the subject heading and see if you catch what I really said.
Is it an oxymoron?

Physics news on Phys.org
i sure think so. a better line would be "oldest intact fossil" :)

No

I believe 'Living' and 'Fossil' are mutually exclusive.
<edit>
I'm wrong the Celocant is called a living fossil.

Last edited by a moderator:
they haven't met my dad obviously :wink:

What is a living fossil?

A living fossil is a species of organism that has remained unchanged for millions of years and has survived through multiple geological eras. They are often described as "living fossils" because they give us a glimpse into the past and can provide valuable information about the evolution of species.

What is the oldest living fossil ever discovered?

The oldest living fossil ever discovered is the horseshoe crab, which has been around for over 450 million years. This species has remained virtually unchanged since the Ordovician period, making it one of the oldest living species on Earth.

How do scientists determine the age of a living fossil?

Scientists can determine the age of a living fossil by studying its physical characteristics, DNA, and comparing it to other fossils found in the same geological strata. They can also use radiometric dating techniques on the rocks where the fossil was found to determine its approximate age.

Why are living fossils important to scientific research?

Living fossils are important to scientific research because they provide a link between past and present species, allowing scientists to better understand the evolution of life on Earth. They also offer valuable insights into how organisms adapt and survive in changing environments.

Are all living fossils ancient species?

No, not all living fossils are ancient species. Some species, such as the ginkgo tree and coelacanth fish, were thought to be extinct for millions of years but were rediscovered alive and well in modern times. These are considered "living fossils" because they have survived for long periods of time without significant evolutionary changes.