Who's smarter: Senior Citizens, Middle Agers, or Young persons?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of intelligence and whether it is affected by age. Some argued that senior citizens have the advantage of more experience and time to make sense of it, while others believed that intelligence is not measured by age. The concept of wisdom was also brought up, with some stating that it comes with age, while others argued that it is just one aspect of intelligence. Ultimately, the question of who is smarter based on age was deemed absurd, as intelligence cannot be measured or compared. It was also noted that intelligence can be improved, but wisdom is not a guaranteed quality of old age.
timejim
I say without a doubt, Senior Citizens. I are one. I am so Smart. Ask any question and I can give a good answer. I am filled with wisdom! What a feeling! I bet you think you are smarter. But really, who is SMARTER wiyh regards to Generation? An example of being so smart: if you add 2 oranges and 2 apples together, you do not get 4. Your answer is still, 2 oranges and 2 apples. Whew, I better go take a nap on that one. Can you top it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Senior citizens have the most knowledge of a wide variety of things, middle agers have a mix between general knowledge and witt, and young persons have mostly witt with virtually no knowledge of a wide variety of things.

But you have to admit that wisdom, common sense, witt, and knowledge are four totally different things.

Age doesn't really matter, in my opinion. Yet, einsteinian, I think you're right.

The very question is absurd. "Smartness" is not some number that you can measure and compare.

And timejim...if you put 2 oranges and 2 apples together you do get 4 if you're counting the number of fruits and not the number of apples and oranges. Your question was too vague to give a proper answer.

please, first, define "smart"...

I think the real question is are any of these age groups smarter than the average bear? obviously not because you don't hear about senior citizens stealing people's pickinic (or however yogi says it) baskets do you?

Bears are the smartest.

Originally posted by albrock06
But you have to admit that wisdom, common sense, witt, and knowledge are four totally different things.

Age doesn't really matter, in my opinion. Yet, einsteinian, I think you're right.

True, but,IMO, they are all the main qualities of intelligence.

Originally posted by master_coda
The very question is absurd. "Smartness" is not some number that you can measure and compare.

And timejim...if you put 2 oranges and 2 apples together you do get 4 if you're counting the number of fruits and not the number of apples and oranges. Your question was too vague to give a proper answer.

Ahhh, to be vague, at the right time, can be a sign of wit, wisdom, and the "smartness" of an individual. No, smartness cannot be measured but it can be opinion formulating. I think I'll take another nap.

No one is a match for a smart, healthy senior citizen; not a smart, healthy youth, or smart healthy middle-ager. Seniors have the advantages of more experience and more time to make sense of it.

Originally posted by timejim
Ahhh, to be vague, at the right time, can be a sign of wit, wisdom, and the "smartness" of an individual. No, smartness cannot be measured but it can be opinion formulating. I think I'll take another nap.

Anything, at the right time, can probably be a sign of wit, wisdom and smartness.

But usually vagueness is an attempt to mask ignorance.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
No one is a match for a smart, healthy senior citizen; not a smart, healthy youth, or smart healthy middle-ager. Seniors have the advantages of more experience and more time to make sense of it.

Experience is overrated. But so is youth, so it cancels out.

Experience is overrated.
Experience can, indeed, end up being meaningless. It was the "more time to make sense of it" that was the more important aspect of my point. Given a youth, an adult, and a senior all working equally on learning from their experiences, the senior will always have the head start.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
Experience can, indeed, end up being meaningless. It was the "more time to make sense of it" that was the more important aspect of my point. Given a youth, an adult, and a senior all working equally on learning from their experiences, the senior will always have the head start.

I was just trying to emphasize the fact the most of the differences people point out between older and younger people (older people have more experience, younger people learn faster, etc.) don't end up making much of a difference in the real world.

I'll grant that a senior has an advantage when learning from experience, but for the most part people don't seem to bother with learning from their experience, so the advantage is usually wasted.:frown:

Originally posted by master_coda ...but for the most part people don't seem to bother with learning from their experience, so the advantage is usually wasted.:frown:
Point taken.

I was just trying to emphasize the fact the most of the differences people point out between older and younger people (older people have more experience, younger people learn faster, etc.) don't end up making much of a difference in the real world.

I'll grant that a senior has an advantage when learning from experience, but for the most part people don't seem to bother with learning from their experience, so the advantage is usually wasted.:frown:
So then it is the middle aged that have the 'sweet spot' on learning, still close enough to the 'speed of youth', and nearer the 'age of wisdom' (arising from experience) right? (or is it 'left', tee-hee )

Originally posted by einsteinian77
True, but,IMO, they are all the main qualities of intelligence.

If you say so, then that means that intelligence is improvable because wisdom comes with age.

Originally posted by Thallium
If you say so, then that means that intelligence is improvable because wisdom comes with age.
Humm far as I know intelligence is the ability to learn, that is 'improvable' but has margins/limits, and "Wisdom coming with Age" is not something that is gauranteed, simple enough to be a "knowledgeable (or intelligent) old fool" (I suppose) as the accuracy of just what it is that you have learned, and the subject matter (as well) count! you could otherwise simply end up with a vast accumulation of (reasonsably) not very useful knowledge...

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Humm far as I know intelligence is the ability to learn, that is 'improvable' but has margins/limits, and "Wisdom coming with Age" is not something that is gauranteed, simple enough to be a "knowledgeable (or intelligent) old fool" (I suppose) as the accuracy of just what it is that you have learned, and the subject matter (as well) count! you could otherwise simply end up with a vast accumulation of (reasonsably) not very useful knowledge...

Very right. Good point. Not all people are able to learn and MANY will end up without anything gained.

Originally posted by Thallium
Very right. Good point. Not all people are able to learn and MANY will end up without anything gained.
Ooops SHHHH! please, I know a few of these...

Originally posted by timejim
I say without a doubt, Senior Citizens. I are one. I am so Smart. Ask any question and I can give a good answer. I am filled with wisdom! What a feeling! I bet you think you are smarter. But really, who is SMARTER wiyh regards to Generation? An example of being so smart: if you add 2 oranges and 2 apples together, you do not get 4. Your answer is still, 2 oranges and 2 apples. Whew, I better go take a nap on that one. Can you top it?

Though i cannot top you i can tell you onething. The smartet one is the one who is well informed no matter what his age is. If you had asked who are the most experienced i would vote for the senior ones and the ones with the most witts would be the youth and the one with the most capabilities will be middle agers.

P.S If i have gone out of the topic please forgive me.

-Benzun

1. Who typically has a higher IQ: senior citizens, middle agers, or young persons?

The concept of a single IQ score is often regarded as outdated in modern psychology. Additionally, intelligence is a complex and multifaceted construct that cannot be accurately measured by a single test or metric. Therefore, it is not accurate or fair to make broad generalizations about the intelligence of different age groups.

2. Are older people more forgetful compared to younger individuals?

While it is true that cognitive decline is a normal part of aging, it does not mean that all older individuals are forgetful. In fact, research has shown that older adults can compensate for any memory deficits by utilizing their knowledge and experience to perform well on memory tasks. Additionally, memory is affected by various factors such as stress, nutrition, and sleep, which can impact people of all ages.

3. Do younger generations have a higher capacity for learning compared to older generations?

There is no evidence to suggest that younger individuals have a higher capacity for learning compared to older individuals. Learning ability is influenced by a variety of factors, including motivation, prior knowledge, and individual differences. While younger individuals may have more exposure to new technology and information, older individuals often have a wealth of experience and knowledge that can aid in learning.

4. Do older people have slower reaction times compared to young people?

Reaction time is affected by many factors, including physical health, cognitive abilities, and experience. While it is true that reaction time may slow down with age, it does not mean that older individuals are inherently slower in all aspects. In fact, studies have shown that older individuals may have slower reaction times in some tasks, but they can compensate by using their experience and knowledge to make more accurate decisions.

5. Is there a correlation between age and intelligence?

There is no direct correlation between age and intelligence. While intelligence may change over time, it is influenced by a variety of factors such as genetics, education, and life experiences. Additionally, individuals of all ages can continue to learn and develop their intelligence through various activities and experiences.