Organizing PC Game Competitions Among PF Members

In summary, we should set up some PC game competitions among interested PF members. We can use this threat to pick servers, times, games, etc.
All right, we've got people interested in the original UT and UT2k4.
We can play 2k4 at 7:30 and the original at 9:00 on Thursday, if that's all right with everyone. Maybe in 2k4 we can play Bombing Run (sort of like a sport) or Onslaught (sort of Battlefield-ish with different control points that you have to capture). In the original UT, we can play DM or Team DM.
---------------------------------
The_Professional, I have a 64MB Radeon 8500, which is, oddly enough, faster than a 9000, but you should be good. Just turn the details and resolution down some. Check out the benchmarks here: http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/itogi-video-ut2003-w2k-ath1024.html.
---------------------------------
i_wish_i_was_smart,

I've got the Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow demo. It rocks. I'd be interested in playing a game.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Dan, I've tried the demo and it rocks, it plays smoothly and haven't encountered problems.
What server are we going to be playing on UT2k4 demo

I'm good to go with UT2k4. I'll be getting Far Cry soon too!

I just got done playing one round of UT2k4

I'll bite. I, quite amazingly, own the original UT.

cookiemonster

Greg, is there any way that we can get a chat room when the time comes to coordinate picking a server?

http://www.hardocp.com/images/news/10847815667JtyZQiCx9_1_1_l.jpg Ahhh the sufficient hardware to run the stuff like UT2k4. :)

You got a GF FX? Those things are overpriced. ATI is the way to go.

count me in for warcraft 3...i am currently lvl 29 on lorderoen server...but sold account couple weeks ago due to the new AMM system which i truly dislike...i am now using my azeroth account ElfStudent- ...msg me for games...and I am down in the tourny for sure :D

I think I am good to go for the original UT. Downloading the v436 patch right now and refining my fps skills. Still rather rusty. Hope I don't lag with my 56k modem (which runs at 28.8kb argh).

See you tomorrow at 9:00 for the match. Good fraggin'.

Dissident Dan said:
You got a GF FX? Those things are overpriced. ATI is the way to go.

None of these graphics cards are the "way to go" because you end up switching hardware every year if you want to keep up.. Its much cheaper to have someone, Net cafe, friend, somewhere, that can support massive amounts of good computeres with the latest stuff and you cna game there... Hardware is not a profiting business as I seen someone selling their GF4400 for $20...

I think all these cards are "overpriced" anyways and after you buy it 2 months later your at the end of the road with your dated hardware once again...

I don't know of any GF 4400. Do you mean the GF MX 440? That's a piece of junk, anyway.

I bought my Radeon 8500 for about $95 over a year ago, and it still does well in most games, and the card sells now for $40-something.

I can see your point, though. However, I like using my own computer.
------------------------------------
I'll start an AIM chat room tomorrow and post the name so we can coordinate server choosing.

Has a list been compiled of the games we want to play? I want to have enough time to "obtain" them if I don't currently have them. If we are just going to play UT2004 then I'm already setup for tonight.

Dissident Dan said:
I bought my Radeon 8500 for about $95 over a year ago, and it still does well in most games, and the card sells now for $40-something.

Agreed. I have an ATI Radeon 8500 LE and it is still pushing out graphics even for complex games like Unreal 2. My next card will definately be ATI (only when my trusty 8500 quits out).

Unfortunately in an online match in UT last night I was horribly lagging by around 3-5 seconds. Couldnt get a kill, ended up -2 to 10. Ping was up in the 2000 range... not good.

Should we assume that all these times are Eastern?

cookiemonster

me said:
We can play 2k4 at 7:30 and the original at 9:00 on Thursday, if that's all right with everyone. Maybe in 2k4 we can play Bombing Run (sort of like a sport) or Onslaught (sort of Battlefield-ish with different control points that you have to capture). In the original UT, we can play DM or Team DM.

::Note, it's the UT2k4 demo, not the full version::

The times listed are Eastern. I hope that no one was confused.

I have made an AIM chat room: DanUT

P.S. - Make sure that your Unreal Tournament (original) is patched to version 4.36.

Last edited:
To make it easy for us, I compiled a list on which player wants to play what game. If anything needs to be added just let me know.

So far, here are the listings for current games that have been mentioned: (in no particular order) and interested fraggers aka mouse warriors

Quake 3 - Dissident Dan

Battlefield 1942 - Dissident Dan

Starcraft - Dissident Dan

Warcraft 3 - Dreamer, The_Professional, decibel

Battlefield 1942 - Dissident Dan, Miles

Original Unreal Tournament - The_Professional, motai, Dissident Dan, iansmith, dduardo?, cookiemonster

Half-life - Dissident Dan

Transport Tycoon Deluxe edition - Ebolamonkey

Medieval: Total War - jimmyp, The_Professional, motai

Pong - jimmyp

UT2k4 Demo - Dissident Dan, dduardo, The_Professional, Greg Bernhardt, cookiemonster

Unreal Tournament 2003 - motai

Aliens vs. Predator 2 - jimmyp, Dissident Dan

Call of Duty - motai

Gunbound - RBS5, DarkAnt

Wolfenstein 3D - Chrono, Dissident Dan

Tribes - cookiemonster

BF:Vietnam - i wish i was smart

Civilization - dduardo

Age of Empires - dduardo, The_Professional

If everyone uses his PF name in the games, that would good.

Here are some servers that I looked up for the UT2k4 demo:
Onslaught
66.7.164.198 (GibGames.com Dalls)
69.93.199.58 (DgS ServerForRent)

Bombing Run
69.25.21.14 (Atari/Epic Offical East 48)

Team DM

If no one has any objections, we'll play onslaught on the first server I listed [66.7.164.198 (GibGames.com Dalls)].

So, who won then?

Bah, stupid AIM. Cant find my way around to DanUT chat room... and the match is starting. Not sure which server everyone else is on.

Last edited:
=me]We're playing UT assault on this server:

113 0 65.39.207.71 7777 [PURE] | StdAS | n AS-Deser assault 7 of 16

Scratch that. It's a custom map.

Last edited:
Holy cow AS-Deser is 10 megs! Ill be there but itll take me a while...

me said:
New server: Team Deathmatch:

109 0 64.237.35.193 7777 [CSHP] +MF+ R'uusta DM-Agony teamgame 0 of 8

Nevermind, just go to the assault server.

Last edited:
Gahh I am doomed to forever downloading components like that blasted "SkeletalChars" which is some 1.5 megs long. Finally got to the Team Deathmatch only to find it empty :frown:

Blegh. I give up. Everytime I try to log on I am stuck with having to download a huge map file (which never completes and I have to reset it) or SkeletalChars (what in the world does this file do anyway?). Catch me later when there is a regular server with standard maps and mutators.

I am finding not the sever, the server is empty or the server has people but nobody from pf. We have to find an easier way to play. Does anybody has gamspy arcade? That migth be the way.

We'll try again some other time.

I've played an hour or two ago but I didn't recognize any familiar usernames nor did anyone respond when I said hello, assuming that there is someone from PF playing.

Last edited:
Why dun you get a paid server for PF players? :) Or have someone run dedicated server on a fast connection at a unversity or somethign?

Sorry I couldn't make it yesterday. If anyone is interested I'm going to setup an Enemy Territory or UT2004 server on my linux box. Tell me which game you want to play and I'll set something up. I want to test the server at 6:00pm eastern and start the official game around 7:00-7:30pm.

Server Specs:

Gentoo Linux 2004.1
Athlon XP 2600
512MB DDR 2700
7200 RPM Segate
1.5MB DSL

If anyone is interested I'm starting up Enemy Territory

ip: 209.42.34.118
password: physicsforums

If you can't get on, don't worry, I'm trying to get etpro to work. It will be up very soon

I should have time to play Sunday.

Thanks-a-million for setting up a server. ET rocks.