10 Photos That Definitively Prove Math Is Really Hard

In summary, a group of individuals found a post titled "10 Photos That Definitively Prove Math Is Really, Really Hard" and shared their favorite photos and thoughts on the post. These photos included examples of misleading advertising and unusual pricing strategies. The group discussed the potential reasons behind these tactics and also shared their personal experiences with similar situations.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Mathematics news on Phys.org
(Rofl) (Rofl)

My favorite is the quadratic equation...because that's the kind of typo I might make. (Swearing)

Thanks for sharing! I like #2, but they are all funny! :D

#2 seems to be a case of sneaky advertising. It's 10 calories! ...per half the bottle, that is, per "8 fluid oz". I don't think the others have such a justification though. I guess the quadratic formula holds for quadratics of the form $ax^2 + b(x+1)=0$.

TheBigBadBen said:
#2 seems to be a case of sneaky advertising. It's 10 calories! ...per half the bottle, that is, per "8 fluid oz".

Yeah. And doubling half the bottle gives us... erm... 20 fluid oz!

In other words, 8 fluid oz should be 8 calories.
But then, these are bold calories! ;)

Regarding #1 (two \$1.69 burritos for \$4) and #6 (two \$2.97 bottles of body wash for \$6.97), I call it a violation of the triangle inequality: buying two things at once costs more than buying them in turn. This seems strange, but then the following joke come to mind. Two panhandlers sitting next to each other have notices in front of them. One says, "Please give to a Vietnam veteran", and the other one says, "Don't want to work". Everybody gives money to the first guy, and his mug is almost full, while the mug of the second guy is empty. One of the passers-by tells the second guy, "You've got to change your notice like the other one". He turns to his neighbor and says, "Listen to him! He is going to teach us commerce!" So, who am I to teach these stores commerce? Maybe they are enticing customers to buy two things by letting them think they are ripping the store off.

Several other pictures can be explained. Number 10 ("Was 8.00, now 7.50, save 1.00) is correct if you buy two things. Number 9 ("Was \$52.99, now \$47.99, you save \$12") writes the saving in base 3. Number 5 ("We wanted to increase deliciousness by 200%") implies that originally a pack contained 2/3 of a bar. In fact, deliciousness is arguably a non-additive quantity like temperature: when you put two bars together, their temperature is not added.

Number 4 (drawn 11 nuggets instead of 10) is no different from any other fast-food advertisement where sandwiches look better and bigger than they do in reality. And concerning two cups with sauces, I want to tell Americans how lucky they are. In some other countries (even first-world ones), one has to buy sauces and dips separately. The worst case of this is a fast-food restaurant I knew where one had to buy Caesar salad sauce in addition to the salad itself. That place went out of business.

Related to 10 Photos That Definitively Prove Math Is Really Hard

1. Why is math considered difficult?

Math is often considered difficult because it requires a high level of abstract thinking and problem-solving skills. Many people struggle with math because they have not been taught effective strategies for understanding and applying mathematical concepts.

2. What makes these 10 photos definitive proof of math being hard?

These 10 photos showcase complex mathematical problems and equations that can be challenging for even the most skilled mathematicians. They serve as evidence of the difficulty of math and the level of abstract thinking and problem-solving required to solve them.

3. Can anyone be good at math?

Yes, anyone can be good at math with proper instruction, practice, and determination. While some people may have a natural aptitude for math, it is ultimately a skill that can be developed and improved upon by anyone.

4. How can I improve my math skills?

Improving math skills requires regular practice and a solid foundation of basic mathematical concepts. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as tutoring or online courses, to supplement classroom learning and provide support and guidance.

5. Is math important in everyday life?

Yes, math is an essential part of everyday life. It is used in various tasks such as calculating finances, measuring ingredients for cooking, and understanding data and statistics. A strong foundation in math can also lead to better problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.