Light & Energy: Exploring Photon Energy Variations

In summary, there is a question about how a photon can have varying amounts of energy if it is the same size and speed as all other photons. The concept of "size" in reference to photons is also in question.
mee
How can a photon carry differing amounts of energy if it is the same size and speed as all other photons? Does this make any sese to anybody?

Science news on Phys.org
What does "size" mean in reference to photons?

size of photons

mathman said:
What does "size" mean in reference to photons?

I assumed, perhaps in error, that in its particle state a photon would occupy a region of space of relatively regular dimension for all photons. If you think I'm an idiot, I'm only a student of physics not a master you know so asking me instead of someone else seems to perhaps be a bit of a mistake on your part.
:smile:

1. What is light energy?

Light energy is a type of electromagnetic radiation that can be seen by the human eye. It is a form of energy that travels in waves and is composed of tiny particles called photons.

2. How is light energy produced?

Light energy can be produced in a variety of ways, including through natural processes such as the sun's nuclear fusion reactions, or through man-made processes such as electricity passing through a light bulb filament.

3. How does the energy of light vary?

The energy of light can vary depending on its wavelength or frequency. Generally, shorter wavelengths have higher energy, while longer wavelengths have lower energy. This is known as the electromagnetic spectrum.

4. What are some examples of light energy variations?

Some examples of light energy variations include the different colors of visible light, the ultraviolet and infrared rays that are invisible to the human eye, and the high-energy gamma rays and low-energy radio waves that make up the entire electromagnetic spectrum.

5. How is light energy used?

Light energy has a wide range of uses, including providing heat and light for daily activities, powering solar panels to generate electricity, and being used in medical imaging and communication technologies. It is also essential for the growth of plants through the process of photosynthesis.