What is the true relationship between the charges of fundamental particles?

In summary, fundamental particles, such as electrons and quarks, have charges that are either in single units or thirds of a single unit. There is no experimental proof that a 1/3 quark charge is actually 1/3 of the charge of an electron. This is because the charge assignment for quarks was originally based on fitting in with the theory of sub-atomic particles and cannot be tested through experiments. However, the theory of deep inelastic scattering of leptons and quarks, which uses the 1/3 and 2/3 charges for various quarks, has been shown to have good agreement with experimental results. There is a debate in the scientific community about explaining the underlying cause of these charges, with some
elas
Fundamental particles, electron and quarks; have charges in single units or thirds of a single unit.
Am I correct in believing that these are imaginary numbers and that there is no experimental proof that a 1/3 quark charge is actually 1/3 of the charge of an electron.

I ask this question because my books state that quarks were given there charge originally to fit in with the theory of sub-atomic particles, and this seems to have been accepted because it is not possible to conduct experiments to show the true relationship.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Janitor, clearly Iwas mistaken.

Given the makeup of protons (2 up + 1 down) and neutrons (1 up and 2 down), their charges wouldn't work unless the charges were exactly 2/3 (up) and -1/3 (down). It is a simple linear algebra problem (2 eq. in 2 unknown).

It is a simple linear algebra problem (2 eq. in 2 unknown).

Accept that you are correct and thanks for your reply.
My interest lies in doing what neither the Standard Model or string theory can do, that is to explain the underlying cause; that debate has to be conducted in the madhouse (Theory Developement forum).
I am entering a new subject in that forum that I hope you will visit because it refers to a new (mathematical) way of listing quarks that is totally different from current practice in that it links mass and charge together.

Now I have the required answer, I will close this forum with thanks to those who replied, regards, elas.

1. What is particle charge?

Particle charge refers to the electrical charge carried by subatomic particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons. It is a fundamental property of matter and can be either positive or negative.

2. How is particle charge measured?

Particle charge is measured in units called coulombs (C). The charge of an electron is approximately -1.6 x 10^-19 C, while the charge of a proton is +1.6 x 10^-19 C. The charge of other particles can be measured in relation to these values.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative charges?

Positive charges have more protons than electrons, while negative charges have more electrons than protons. Protons have a positive charge, electrons have a negative charge, and neutrons have no charge.

4. How do particles with opposite charges interact?

Particles with opposite charges are attracted to each other and can form bonds or attract each other through electromagnetic forces. This is known as electrostatic attraction.

5. Can particle charge be changed?

In most cases, particle charge cannot be changed. Protons, neutrons, and electrons all have a specific charge that cannot be altered. However, through certain processes such as ionization, particles can gain or lose electrons, resulting in a change in overall charge.