Special Relativity: Light's Relative Speed Explained

• Thread starter Poy
  • Start date
In summary: However, I would be curious to know what your thoughts are on this.Originally posted by Integral I thought that Poy misunderstood this statement, based on his wording. I didn't want to make an issue of whether or not SR is true, and why. However, I would be curious to know what your thoughts are on this.
Poy
I think this is the right place to put this question
Special relativity says light always seems to move at c. But wouldn't it (relative to you) be moving faster than c if its moving away from you and you are moving away from it? I might misundestdn something here, but if someone could clearify for me, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Poy
Special relativity says light always seems to move at c. But wouldn't it (relative to you) be moving faster than c if its moving away from you and you are moving away from it?
No. Light moves at speed c in any reference frame. No matter how fast you move, you'll measure any light passing by to have speed c. It's a feature of the "spacetime" structure of the universe.

I know how that ussually works, but I wasn't sure in this one condition... thanks.

Originally posted by Poy
Special relativity says light always seems to move at c.
You may want to reconsider your conceptualization. SR says that light literally moves at c for every observer, not just appearing to do so.

If you want to be nit picky it is Maxwell's Equations which state that the speed of light is constant to all observers. Einstein was able to state a constant c as a postulate, because it was derived as such by Maxwell in 1867. The Constancy of c was a major dilemma for Physicists in the last half of the 1800s.

Originally posted by Integral
If you want to be nit picky ...
I wasn't trying to be "nit picky." There is a lot of misconception about what SR says concerning the nature of space-time, i.e., "time dilation is a consequence of the delay of light due to its finite speed," being such a misconception. From the wording, I thought that Poy might have such a misconception. Sorry for being presumptuous.

... it is Maxwell's Equations ...
I'll be nit picky only to point out that a statement by a set of equations does not exclude a statement by SR.

There really should be a sticky thread about this as variations of this one seems to be the most oft-asked question:

In special relativity velocities ([itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex])are summed:

[tex]w = \frac{u + v}{1 + \frac{uv}{c^2}}[/tex]

take the case where [itex]u = c[/itex]

[tex]w = \frac{c + v}{1 + \frac{v}{c}} = \frac{c(c + v)}{c + v} = c[/tex]

So the sum of the two velocites when one is equal to [itex]c[/itex] is always equal to [itex]c[/itex].

Originally posted by turin

I'll be nit picky only to point out that a statement by a set of equations does not exclude a statement by SR.

There is a big difference between a derivation from basics and a postulate. Maxwell dervives, Einstein postulates. He was able to do that based on Maxwell's derivation.

Special Relativity does not contain a reason for the constancy of c, it is the starting point. From there SR explores the results of a constant c.

There is a big difference between a derivation from basics and a postulate. Maxwell dervives, Einstein postulates. He was able to do that based on Maxwell's derivation.

Special Relativity does not contain a reason for the constancy of c, it is the starting point. From there SR explores the results of a constant c.
So what? I didn't claim a derivation of any sort. SR says that the speed of light is literally the same in every inertial frame of reference. Do you disagree with this?

I thought that Poy misunderstood this statement, based on his wording. I didn't want to make an issue of whether or not SR is true, and why.

Last edited:

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains how objects move at high speeds and how space and time are affected by these movements.

2. How does special relativity explain the speed of light?

Special relativity states that the speed of light is constant and does not change regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving, they will always measure the same speed of light.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity?

The constant speed of light is significant because it is the fastest speed at which any object can travel. According to special relativity, no object with mass can reach or exceed the speed of light, making it a fundamental limit in the universe.

4. How does special relativity impact our understanding of time and space?

Special relativity states that time and space are not absolute, but are relative to an observer's frame of reference. This means that time and space can appear to pass at different rates for different observers, depending on their relative speeds and positions.

5. Can special relativity be proven experimentally?

Yes, special relativity has been proven through numerous experiments and observations. One of the most famous is the Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.