Can the Infinite Sum of Natural Numbers Really Equal -1/12?

In summary: It doesn't converge to any number!In summary, the conversation is about a YouTube video discussing the concept of infinite sets and the sum of all natural numbers. The video claims that through creative algebra, it has been proven that the sum of all natural numbers is equivalent to -1/12. However, this only works if certain details are not carefully considered and the algebra used only works on a convergent series. Some mathematicians have found ways to give a number to infinite sums, but this should not be interpreted as the total sum. The conversation also includes a link to a forum discussing this topic and clarifications about the concept of partial sums. Ultimately, the conversation questions the validity of the proof and seeks an intuitive explanation for the concept.
J.J.T.
I was some youtube videos and i got sucked into this channel called "numberphile". They were talking about infinite sets. In particular the set that is the sum of all natural numbers. Through some creative algebra they demonstrate the proof. Somehow the set that is equal to the sum of all natural numbers :1+2+3+4+5+6+7+... is equivalent to -1/12. The algebra is easy enough to follow that a high school student could keep up quite easily. But intuitively I just can't accept it. They say that whenever this set is encountered in their mathematics by simply substituting -1/12 the math is accurate every single time. Anyone here a total math whiz that can explain this in a way that makes sense intuitively rather than just "look here's the proof, we know its insane but it works!"?

I'm pretty good at math, but I was away from math for awhile and i no longer have that mathematical "intuition" that might've helped me understand the concept underneath the proof.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The proof only works if you are not careful about the "details"! In particular the "algebra" used only works on a convergent series and it is easy to show that this sequence is not convergent.

J.J.T. said:
"look here's the proof, we know its insane but it works!"?

Well, it looks insane but it doesn't work. The video is highly misleading. Any honest mathematician will say that ##1+2+3+4+5+...## equals infinity (or more correctly: diverges to infinity). This is the standard interpretation of that infinite sum.

But some mathematicians have found ways to still give a number to infinite sums. This should not be interpreted as the total sum, it should just be interpreted as some number you get when you follow a certain procedure. The number given to ##1+2+3+4+5+...## is indeed ##-1/12##. Again, this does not mean that the total sum equals ##-1/12##, it means that if we follow a certain procedure with that sum (like the procedure in the video), we get ##-1/12##.

Like others have said, the '=' sign is assumed, by default, that the sum _converges_ to that value, when it does not. The '=' is used with another intended meaning.

Likes jk22
Hey,
-1/12 is not the perfect sum of this series but it's called partial sum of the series.
Leaving it Checkout my forum
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/1-2-3-4-5-6-7.854564/

Last edited by a moderator:
Nikhil981888 said:
Hey,
-1/12 is not the perfect sum of this series but it's called partial sum of the series.
Leaving it Checkout my forum
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/1-2-3-4-5-6-7.854564/
NO, it isn't. An infinite sum, whether it converges or not, has an infinite number of "partial sums", not just one. The finite sum [itex]\sum_{i=0}^n a_i[/itex] is a partial sum of sum [itex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty a_i[/itex] for all n.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nikhil981888 said:
Hey,
I don't think you understand what "partial sum" means. For an infinite series to converge, its sequence of partial sums must converge.

In the series of this thread, 1 + 2 + 3 + ... +, here's the sequence of partial sums:
##S_n = \{1, 3, 6, 10, 15, \dots \}##
The farther you go in the sequence of partial sums, the bigger the term in the sequence gets.

Last edited:

Related to Can the Infinite Sum of Natural Numbers Really Equal -1/12?

1. What does the equation "1+2+3+4+5+6+7+...... =-1/12" mean?

The equation is a mathematical expression that represents the sum of all natural numbers from 1 to infinity. This is also known as the Riemann zeta function, and it has a value of -1/12.

2. How is it possible for the sum of all natural numbers to equal a negative fraction?

This result is a consequence of complex analysis and number theory. The Riemann zeta function is extended analytically to the whole complex plane, including negative numbers, and its value is -1/12 at -1. This result has been proven by mathematicians and is widely accepted in the mathematical community.

3. Can this equation be used in real-life applications?

While the result of -1/12 may seem counterintuitive, this equation has practical applications in physics and engineering. It is used in the calculation of Casimir forces, which are responsible for the attractive force between two parallel plates in a vacuum.

4. Does this mean that the sum of all natural numbers is actually a finite value?

No, the sum of all natural numbers is technically infinite. However, in the context of the Riemann zeta function, the sum is considered to be -1/12. This is a concept in mathematics known as analytic continuation.

5. Why is this equation often used in popular culture and media?

The result of -1/12 has sparked curiosity and interest among the general public, leading to its use in movies, TV shows, and music. However, it is important to note that this equation should not be taken out of its mathematical context and should not be used to make any false claims or statements.