Jumped into a droplet of water

• Thread starter bozo the clown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between the feeling of water and jelly at a microscopic level. It is concluded that the viscosity of water remains the same even if one were to shrink to the size of a flea, while the surface tension may change. This is supported by a reference to a short story by James Blish.
bozo the clown
If i were able to shrink myself to the size of say a flea and I jumped into a droplet of water ( that is av rain drop size ) would the water feel the same as if it were my normal size or would it feel more like jelly ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone can answer this ??

I've never been that small, couldn't tell you :biggrin:

Are thinking of typical values of the Reynolds numbers involved?

Just what flavor of jelly are we talkin about here?

bozo the clown said:
If i were able to shrink myself to the size of say a flea and I jumped into a droplet of water ( that is av rain drop size ) would the water feel the same as if it were my normal size or would it feel more like jelly ?

The physical property that distinguishes water from jelly is its viscosity. There are other differences too, but the viscosity largely covers the differences in intermolecular interactions.

Turning yourself into a flea has no effect on the viscosity of water...so it will not feel like jelly. However, its surface may. Now that your weight is much smaller, and your density is still just above 1 gm/cc, the surface tension will be within an order of magnitude of your weight (per unit length). So you'll most likely be able to walk on water. But if you get shoved under, it will likely still feel like...water !

Reminds me: There was a short story by James Blish called "Surface Tension". It was written in the 50s, but AFAIK is scientifically realistic.

1. How does jumping into a droplet of water affect the water?

When you jump into a droplet of water, you displace the water molecules and create a small ripple effect. This disturbance can also cause the droplet to break apart into smaller droplets.

2. Is it possible to jump into a droplet of water without getting wet?

No, it is not possible to jump into a droplet of water without getting wet. Even if you manage to jump over the droplet, the force of your jump will still create a splash and cause some water droplets to land on you.

3. How does surface tension play a role when jumping into a droplet of water?

Surface tension is the force that holds the molecules of a liquid together at the surface. When jumping into a droplet of water, the surface tension is disrupted, causing the droplet to break apart and create a splash.

4. What happens to the droplet of water after jumping into it?

After jumping into a droplet of water, the droplet will either break apart into smaller droplets or merge with other droplets nearby. The water molecules will eventually settle back into their original positions, creating a calm surface again.

5. Can jumping into a droplet of water cause any harm to the droplet or the individual?

No, jumping into a droplet of water does not cause any harm to the droplet or the individual. The force of the jump is not strong enough to cause any damage, and the droplet will quickly return to its original state after the disturbance.