Describing Points in Configurations using Set Theoretic and Vector Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses using set theoretic or vector notation to describe points within a given configuration, specifically the plane spanned by two vectors. The answer in the back of the book represents this by using s and t as real numbers to show a linear combination of the two vectors. The concept of spanning is mentioned as well, with the explanation that a vector is in the span if it can be expressed as a linear combination of the given vectors.
babbagee
I am having a hard time with this problem, and i need some help.

It says:
In Exercisies 11-17, use set theoretic or vector notation or both to describe the points that lie in the given configurations.

11.) The plane spanned by v1 = (2,7,0) and v2 = (0,2,7)

In the back of the book they have this answer
{(2s,7s+2t,7t)| sER, tER}

I know all they did was add the two vectors together, but i don't know how the got s, and t and what they represent.

E= is a member of

Physics news on Phys.org
A vector is in the span of v1 and v2 if and only if it is a linear combination of v1 and v2. In other words, v is in the span if

[tex]\boldsymbol{v}=s\boldsymbol{v}_1+t\boldsymbol{v}_2[/tex]

where s and t are any two real numbers. This is pretty much what the set theory notation is saying.

Perhaps I didn't explain this too well. I'm not sure what your level of knowledge is, so I don't know how in-depth you need me to go.

Last edited:
Looks good to me master_coda.

Rajvirnijjar, perhaps you should review the concept of "spanning".

1. What is theoretic or vector notation?

Theoretic or vector notation is a mathematical system used to represent physical quantities using symbols and mathematical operations. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to describe and analyze the behavior of systems.

2. What are the advantages of using theoretic or vector notation?

Theoretic or vector notation allows for a concise and precise representation of complex physical phenomena. It also allows for easy manipulation and calculation of quantities, making it a powerful tool for scientific analysis and problem-solving.

3. How does theoretic or vector notation differ from other mathematical notations?

Theoretic or vector notation differs from other mathematical notations, such as algebraic notation, by using symbols to represent both the magnitude and direction of physical quantities. This makes it particularly useful for describing and analyzing vector quantities, such as force, velocity, and acceleration.

4. Can theoretic or vector notation be used for any type of physical quantity?

No, theoretic or vector notation is primarily used for vector quantities, which have both magnitude and direction. It can also be used for some scalar quantities, such as temperature, but it may not always be the most efficient or appropriate notation for these types of quantities.

5. How can I learn more about theoretic or vector notation?

There are many resources available to learn more about theoretic or vector notation, including textbooks, online tutorials, and courses. It is also important to practice using the notation in problem-solving to become more familiar and comfortable with it.