This product allows you to prevent your users from using some commonly seen post formatting practices, which I've come to think of as abusive. For example, some users will begin and end their posts with padding in the form of a period followed by multiple line breaks at the beginning and multiple line breaks followed by a period at the end, to thwart the trimming of whitespace from the beginning and end of posts. Another example is an excessive number of line breaks between paragraphs. These practices serve to make posts taller than they need to be, requiring others to scroll farther to read threads.
I have included the post formatting abuses that have bothered me in the past, and I am open to suggestions for other abuses to prevent (so please feel free to request them). The abuses I have initially included are:
Post Padding: Using non-alphanumeric characters followed by line breaks at the beginning and/or end of a post to pad the content, making the post unnecessarily tall.
Excessive Line Breaks: More line breaks than you define as allowable in succession anywhere in a post.
Excessive Spacing: More spaces than you define as allowable in succession following a word or sentence.
Excessive Punctuation: More successive strings of punctuation than you define below.
Shouting: Two or more successive words all uppercase will be converted to lowercase.
Case Mixing: Words containing a mix of cases are converted to lowercase with the case of the first letter being preserved.
Text Speak: Abbreviations common to text messaging (although any unwanted abbreviation can be defined).
Wall Of Text: A large number of sentences without any line breaks.
These can each be independently selected as abuses to be prevented. When selected, they will be corrected/removed from the post content before a post is saved, and you can also choose to fix older (pre-existing) posts as they are viewed. Because of post caching, it may take some time before the changes are reflected in the display of the older posts. This could affect forum performance, and I would recommend against using it unless you have a large number of posts you want fixed. Once you think they are fixed, then I recommend turning off this feature. Another option would be for you to simply edit such posts, as long as you are not exempt from the product, by simply clicking "Edit" and then saving the post without making any manual changes, and the post will be fixed automatically.
You can choose to exempt certain forums from this product, as well as certain usergroups.
- Added setting for excessive punctuation.
- Added setting for walls of text.
- Fixed bug with walls of text.
- Removed "Fix Old Posts" option.
- Restored "Fix Old Posts" option after fixing issue for some installations.
- Fixed bug where cached posts did not reflect changes immediately.
Tested and working on VB 4.2.x and may work on all 4.x versions of vBulletin.
This product does not alter the structure of your database, however it is always good practice to make regular backups and you should make a backup before installing ANY new mod.
As always, products are USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I will provide support and do my best to help but no absolute guarantee is offered.
- Download and extract the attached .zip file.
- Upload the contents of the "upload" folder to your forum's root directory.
- Follow AdminCP -> Plugins & Products -> Manage Products -> Add/Import Product.
- Click on "Choose File" and browse to the product .xml file that was packaged in the .zip file.
- Click "Import."
- You MUST enable the product in the settings before it will function.
- Configure the remaining settings to your liking. Each setting has a detailed explanation of its use.