This product allows you to define a set of abbreviations/acronyms that will have a tooltip explanation defined for your users who may not be familiar with these abbreviations and will find an explanation useful. You can define which areas of your site this product is active and your users can also decide if they wish for the product to be active for them in their settings. If you use MathJax on your site for mathematical expressions, you will find this product is completely compatible with it, and will not break such expressions.
Upon installation, a custom user profile field is auto-created to allow your users control over use of this product, and this field is deleted if you uninstall the product.
The product settings are divided into two primary groups: the first pertaining to the abbreviations/acronyms and the second to your implementation of MathJax. If you are not using MathJax, then you can simply ignore that section.
Here you will find a textarea for defining your list of abbreviations and acronyms. Each one should be place on a separate line, with the abbreviation/acronym first, then a pipe symbol ("|"), followed by the explanation you want to appear in the tooltip. If you wish for your tooltip to contain line breaks, then use "\n" (without the quotes) for these breaks. When you save your settings, the list is alphabetically sorted to make locating these definitions easier in the future.
Next, you can set the areas of your site in which this product will be active, including Posts, Signatures, Private Messages, Visitor Messages and Group Messages.
You can then set whether you wish for this product to be active for guests.
If you do not use MathJax, then you need not make any changes here.
If you do use MathJax, then first you need to define whether you have their script(s) manually defined in your templates or if you are using my product for its dynamic implementation. I recommend using my product for the most reliable and efficient compatibility.
If you use MathJax's default delimiters, then you need not change them, as the defaults are already defined by this product. However, if you have defined your own delimiters, then all delimiters you have defined need to be given in the delimiter settings.
Update: version 1.1
- I discovered a MySQL function I was using was deprecated as of 5.5, so I replaced it with a query.
- Fixed bug whereby the preview of a post in a new thread now shows the acronyms.
Update: version 1.2
- Fixed bug where "/" character in an abbreviation caused a PHP error.
- Fixed bug where acronym at the beginning of a text string will now work.
Tested and working on VB 3.8.9 and may work on earlier 3.8.x versions of vBulletin.
This product alters your database, however it is always good practice to make regular backups and you should make a backup before installing ANY new mod.
As always, products are USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I will provide support and do my best to help but no absolute guarantee is offered.
- Download and extract the attached .zip file.
- Upload the contents of the "upload" folder to your forum's root directory.
- Follow AdminCP -> Plugins & Products -> Manage Products -> Add/Import Product.
- Click on "Choose File" and browse to the product .xml file that was packaged in the .zip file.
- Click "Import."
- You MUST enable the product in the settings before it will function.
- Configure the remaining settings to your liking. Each setting has a detailed explanation of its use.