What physicists think about physics

In summary, a survey has been conducted among physicists about the concept of "real" in physics and the results have been linked. A similar poll has been posted for comparison. The survey can be found at the bottom of the linked page. It has also been posted in the philosophy section for comparison. Wimms suggests that only people directly engaged in science should vote to reveal the comparison between scientists and laymen. Wimms has voted in the philosophy forum and suggests non-scientists do the same. Dal believes that colors and hallucinations are subjective and not real, but everything else that can be measured and is consistent is real.

Please check the things that are real.

• The earth

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Colors

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Wavelength

• Hallucinations

• Atoms

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Excited states of atoms

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Mass

• Wave-function - state of a system

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Electrons

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Direction of time

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A survey taken among physicists about the concept of "real" in physics is linked and I think most interesting. First, I am posting a similar poll for comparison.

The survey is at the bottom of the linked page:
http://physicsweb.org/article/world/15/4/2/1#2

Note: I will post this in the philosophy section for comparison also.
Please vote in the forum most appropriate to your perspective; but not both.

from Wimms
It would be interesting if here voted only people who are directly engaged in some kind of science. Then comparison between scientists and laymen in this site would be revealed.

I voted in phil forum and suggest nonscientists to do same.

I agree. Thanks Wimms

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All of them are real...and many others...

I left out color and hallucination. I'm not a physicist anyway.

It would be interesting if here voted only people who are directly engaged in some kind of science. Then comparison between scientists and laymen in this site would be revealed.

I voted in phil forum and suggest nonscientists to do same.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Dal
I left out color and hallucination. I'm not a physicist anyway. [/QUOTE]

My humble opinion.

Colors and hallucinations depends on people's perception. They are real or not depending on a man/woman perception.

The rest, since it can be measured, the measure is the same in the same conditions, and do not depends on the man's perception, are real.

1. What is the current understanding of the fundamental laws of physics?

Physicists believe that there are four fundamental laws of physics: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These laws govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

2. Is there a unified theory that can explain all of physics?

Currently, physicists do not have a complete unified theory that can explain all of physics. However, many are working towards a theory of everything, which would unify all of the fundamental laws and explain all physical phenomena.

3. What are some unanswered questions in physics?

There are many unanswered questions in physics, such as the nature of dark matter and dark energy, the unification of quantum mechanics and general relativity, and the origin of the universe. These are some of the biggest mysteries in the field that scientists are actively researching.

4. How do physicists approach problem-solving in their research?

Physicists use the scientific method to approach problem-solving in their research. This involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to test their theories. Collaboration and peer review are also important in the scientific process.

5. How does the study of physics impact our daily lives?

The study of physics has a significant impact on our daily lives. It has led to advancements in technology, such as electricity, telecommunications, and medical imaging. It also helps us understand the natural world and has practical applications in fields like engineering, medicine, and environmental science.