Relationship between triangle and golden ratio

In summary, the relationship between a 72-72-36 triangle and the golden ratio can be found by looking at the ratio of the long sides to the short side of the triangle using the sine rule. It can also be seen that the ratio of 2 sin(Pi/10) is equivalent to the golden ratio.
todd098
I am having trouble finding the relationship between a 72-72-36 triangle and the golden ratio. Could someone point me in the right direction or explain it? Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since 72 = 360/5, that triangle should be related to a pentagon, and I think the sides and the diagonals from pentagons are related by the golden ratio. I'm talking from memory, though, but it should be easy to check.

todd098 said:
I am having trouble finding the relationship between a 72-72-36 triangle and the golden ratio. Could someone point me in the right direction or explain it? Thanks

Did you ever consider looking at the ratio of the long sides to the short side of that triangle. Use the sine rule and I'm sure you'll find it easy enough.

Notice that 2 sin(Pi/10) = golden ratio

1. What is the golden ratio?

The golden ratio, also known as the divine proportion or phi, is a mathematical concept that is represented by the Greek letter phi (φ). It is approximately equal to 1.618 and is believed to be aesthetically pleasing.

2. How is the golden ratio related to triangles?

The golden ratio is closely related to triangles, particularly equilateral triangles. If you draw an arc from the midpoint of one side of an equilateral triangle to the opposite vertex, the length of that arc will be exactly half of the length of the side of the triangle. This creates a smaller equilateral triangle within the original one, and the ratio of the larger triangle to the smaller one is equal to the golden ratio.

3. Why is the golden ratio important in the study of geometry?

The golden ratio is considered to be a fundamental building block in geometry. It can be found in many natural phenomena, including the proportions of the human body, the growth patterns of plants, and the structure of galaxies. It also has practical applications in architecture, art, and design.

4. What is the relationship between the golden ratio and the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. Interestingly, if the length of one of the shorter sides is divided by the longer side, the result is approximately equal to the golden ratio.

5. How is the golden ratio used in the construction of the golden triangle?

The golden triangle is a special type of isosceles triangle where the ratio of the length of the base to the length of the other two sides is equal to the golden ratio. This creates a unique shape that is believed to have aesthetic appeal. The golden ratio is also used in the construction of the golden spiral, which is formed by connecting smaller golden triangles within a larger one.