Circular Motion of a roller coaster

In summary, the friction force on a marble in a loopdy loop will always be tangential to the track and oppose the motion of the marble. However, calculating the exact magnitude of this force may be difficult, especially for a rolling object like a marble.
xkittenx
Alrighty.. I was just wondering if you'd be able to help me out with a quick little problem I have. For physics we had to build a roller coaster, i am in the process of calculating the work done by the frictional forces throughout the course. Here's the question; In loopdy loops, when the marble is on the side of the loop, where does the force of friction point? what about when the marble is at the top of the loop? I know where the normal force and gravity point, but am unsure as to whether friction applies in these case. Thanx :)

Physics news on Phys.org
friction opposes slipping

The friction would always be opposed to the motion of the marble. So its direction will always be tangential to the track at any point.

Of course, the magnitude of the friction force is another thing. I don't see any easy way to calculate it, especially for a rolling object like a marble. (If the marble is rolling without slipping, there will be no sliding friction.)

1. What causes a roller coaster to move in a circular motion?

The circular motion of a roller coaster is caused by the forces of gravity and inertia. The initial drop of the coaster creates a downward force due to gravity, while the inertia of the coaster and its passengers keeps it moving in a forward direction. This combination of forces results in a curved path, creating the circular motion of the roller coaster.

2. How does the shape of a roller coaster track affect its circular motion?

The shape of the track, particularly the steepness of the curves, plays a significant role in the circular motion of a roller coaster. The steeper the curve, the more force is required to keep the coaster moving in a circular path. If the curves are too shallow, the coaster may lose its momentum and not complete the circular motion.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in the circular motion of a roller coaster?

Centripetal force is the force that acts perpendicular to the direction of motion, keeping an object moving in a circular path. In the case of a roller coaster, this force is provided by the track, which exerts a centripetal force on the coaster to keep it moving in a circular motion.

4. How does the speed of a roller coaster affect its circular motion?

The speed of a roller coaster is directly related to the radius of the curves in its track. The faster the coaster is moving, the larger the radius of the curves can be, allowing for a smoother and more consistent circular motion. However, if the coaster is moving too fast, it may not have enough centripetal force to keep it on the track, resulting in a derailment.

5. How does the weight distribution of passengers affect the circular motion of a roller coaster?

The weight distribution of passengers on a roller coaster can impact its circular motion in two ways. First, if all of the passengers are concentrated on one side of the coaster, it can cause an imbalance in forces and potentially cause the coaster to tilt or derail. Second, the weight of the passengers can affect the overall mass of the coaster, which can impact its speed and ability to complete the circular motion smoothly.