Am I on the right track with this induction question?

In summary, the formula states that the sum of the first n squares is equal to 2n(n+1)(2n+1)/3. This was verified in Step 1 and the proposition was shown to hold for all values of n up to k+1 in Step 2.
ptex
Step 0)
Code:
2[sup]2[/sup] + 4[sup]2[/sup] + 6[sup]2[/sup]+...+(2n)[sup]2[/sup] = 2n(n+1)(2n+1)/3

Step 1)
Let n = 2
2[sup]2[/sup] + 4[sup]2[/sup]
= 4 + 16
=  20

2(2)(2+1)(2(2)+1)/3
= 60/3
= 20

Step2) 
Assume that the formula works for n=1,2,3,...,k
ie. 2[sup]2[/sup] + 4[sup]2[/sup] + 6[sup]2[/sup]+...+(2n)[sup]2[/sup] = 2k(k+1)(2k+1)/3
Step 3)
2n(n+1)(2n+1)/3 + (k+1)[sup]2[/sup]
?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1) is a correct verification of the formula.
Step 2) is very confusing, you seem to use n and k interchangeably!
n is the summation index, while the k'th term is the last to be summed!
Now instead:
Let 1<=n <= k:
Assume the proposition holds for the choice k.
We are to show that the proposition holds when summing 1<=n<=k+1:

Sum(from 1 to k+1)=Sum(from 1 to k)+(2(k+1))^(2)=

2k*(k+1)*(2k+1)/3+(2(k+1))^(2)

Now rearrange and try to gain the "formulaic prediction" for k+1.

Your induction question seems to be on the right track. However, in step 3, it is not clear what you are trying to prove or show. It is important to clearly state your goal or the next step in the induction process. Additionally, it would be helpful to provide a brief explanation or proof for why the formula holds for n = k+1. Overall, your approach and formula seem to be correct, but it would benefit from more clarity and explanation.

What is induction and why is it important?

Induction is a method of reasoning that involves making generalizations based on specific observations. It is important because it allows scientists to make predictions and draw conclusions about the natural world.

How do I know if my induction question is relevant?

To determine if your induction question is relevant, it should align with your research goals and be based on evidence from your observations and experiments. It should also be specific and testable.

What are the steps for constructing a strong induction question?

The steps for constructing a strong induction question include: identifying a specific phenomenon or pattern, making observations and collecting data, analyzing the data for any trends, forming a hypothesis, and designing experiments to test the hypothesis.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when formulating an induction question?

Some common mistakes to avoid when formulating an induction question include: making broad or unsupported statements, relying on personal beliefs or biases, and ignoring contradictory evidence.

How can I ensure the validity of my induction question?

To ensure the validity of your induction question, it is important to use reliable and unbiased sources of information, carefully design experiments, and accurately collect and analyze data. It is also helpful to have your question reviewed by other scientists in your field.