Calculate the Fourier Sine Series of f(x)=sin(x/2)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Fourier Sine series of f(x)=sin(x/2) for the interval (0,pi). It is mentioned that sin(x/2) is already a periodic function with period pi, so the standard Fourier series for sin(x) can be used and the variable x can be replaced with x/2. However, there is some confusion about the value of a_n and whether the equality cos(npi) + cos(0pi) = (-1)^(n+1) is true. It is later clarified that this equality is not true and the correct expression is ((-1)^n + 1). The conversation also mentions using integration in the series and the difference between using a
nizama
Hi there!

Can anyone please help me with this one..?

Find the Fourier Sine series of f(x)=sin(x/2) for interval (0,pi)

thanx a lot :)

Physics news on Phys.org
well, sin(x/2) is already a periodical function with period pi, so even if you construct a furier series of this one you would get the same: sin(x/2)

get the standard Fourier series for sin(X) and replace X=x/2, and that's it!

well, sin(x/2) is already a periodical function with period pi

Wouldn't it have a period of 4pi?

Well hmm...not really :rolleyes:

I did get almoust correct answer BUT...
you see b_n is zero but a_n is not...and this is where i stuck ...i can't get correct a_n
by the way...can you tell me is this true?

cos(npi) + cos(0pi) = (-1)^(n+1)

thanx again :smile:

(Assuming n is an integer). It's not true. cos(npi) is either 1 or -1, and cos(0pi) = cos(0) = 1, so the LHS is either 1 + 1 = 2 or -1 + 1 = 0, while the RHS is either 1 or -1... So you can never get equality.

aha

Yes i just got it..
it is when you use integr. in series
so then it would be ((-1)^n +1)

thanx

:smile:

couldn't you just use the regular Taylor series?

hm

Not really :frown:
the task...as so on my exam..they strictly want it with Fourier ...
bcs we do also taylor..and in task they mention which one they want..

THe answers would be different for a start as well.

What is a Fourier Sine Series?

A Fourier Sine Series is a way to represent a function as a sum of sine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to analyze and approximate periodic functions.

How do you calculate the Fourier Sine Series of a function?

The Fourier Sine Series of a function can be calculated using the following formula:
f(x) = a0/2 + ∑n=1 ansin(nx)
where an is the n-th coefficient and can be calculated using the formula:
an = (2/π) ∫0π f(x)sin(nx) dx
Once all the coefficients are calculated, the Fourier Sine Series can be written as a sum of sine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes.

Why is the Fourier Sine Series of f(x)=sin(x/2) important?

The Fourier Sine Series allows us to represent the function f(x)=sin(x/2) as a sum of simpler sine functions, making it easier to analyze and approximate. This is useful in various applications, such as signal processing, differential equations, and vibration analysis.

What is the period of the Fourier Sine Series of f(x)=sin(x/2)?

The period of the Fourier Sine Series of f(x)=sin(x/2) is 4π. This means that the function repeats itself every 4π units, and the Fourier Sine Series accurately represents the function within this period.

Can the Fourier Sine Series of f(x)=sin(x/2) be used to approximate the function for any value of x?

Yes, the Fourier Sine Series can be used to approximate the function f(x)=sin(x/2) for any value of x. However, the accuracy of the approximation will depend on the number of terms used in the series. The more terms used, the closer the approximation will be to the actual function.