Determining the Cheaper Option: Airport Taxi vs. Limousine

• Thread starter Ericca
  • Start date
In summary, the cost of an airport taxi and limousine can vary depending on location, distance, and company. However, in most cases, a limousine will be more expensive due to the luxury it offers. To determine the cheaper option, compare prices and consider distance, time, and additional fees. One advantage of choosing an airport taxi is availability and affordability. It is recommended to book a limousine in advance, but some companies may offer on-demand services. Other factors to consider include comfort, luggage, and company reputation.
Ericca
Darrell is making arrangements to pick up a client at the airport. Airport taxi charges $6.00, plus $0.50 per kilometre. Airport limo charges a flat rate of $40 for its limousine service.
a)Write a system of equations that describes the cost of the taxi and limoousine.
b)solve the system you wrote in a
c) Explain what the solution to the system represents.
d) Darrell is trying to decide whether the taxi or the limo is cheaper. What advice would you give Darrell?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't this be in the homework section? (And shouldn't you show us what you have already done?)

The equation for the limousine is easy! Letting L be the cost of the limosine and x the distance driven: L= 40, of course.
The equation for the taxi is almost as easy: Letting T be the cost of the taxi and x the distance driven: T= 6+ 0.50x.

b) I have no idea what you mean by "solve the system you wrote in a". In the first place, it's not really a system- it's two separate equations. In the second, what do you want to solve for?

c) Uh, yeah, that's what I'd like you to do!

d) Okay, I suspect that the problem wants you to set L= T in the two equations and solve for x: the distance at which the two costs are the same. Below that distance, the taxi is cheaper, beyond, the limousine is cheaper.

a) Let x represent the distance in kilometers and y represent the total cost.
For the airport taxi: y = 6 + 0.50x
For the airport limo: y = 40

b) To solve the system, we can set the two equations equal to each other:
6 + 0.50x = 40
Subtracting 6 from both sides:
0.50x = 34
Dividing both sides by 0.50:
x = 68
Therefore, the cost of the taxi and limousine will be the same at a distance of 68 kilometers.

c) The solution to the system represents the point at which the cost of the taxi and limousine will be equal. In this case, it represents the distance at which the cost of both options will be the same.

d) My advice to Darrell would be to consider the distance he will be traveling. If the distance is less than 68 kilometers, then the taxi would be the cheaper option. However, if the distance is more than 68 kilometers, then the limousine would be the cheaper option. He should also consider the level of comfort and luxury he wants to provide for his client, as the limousine may be a better choice for a professional and impressive first impression.

1. Which option is typically more expensive, an airport taxi or a limousine?

The cost of an airport taxi and limousine can vary depending on the location, distance, and company. However, in most cases, a limousine will be more expensive than an airport taxi due to the luxury and amenities it offers.

2. How do I know which option is the cheaper one for me?

To determine the cheaper option for your specific situation, you can compare the prices of airport taxi and limousine services in your area. Consider the distance you need to travel, the time of day, and any additional fees or surcharges that may apply.

3. Are there any advantages to choosing an airport taxi over a limousine?

One advantage of choosing an airport taxi is that it is usually readily available and can be hailed or booked easily. Additionally, airport taxis are typically more affordable and can accommodate larger groups of people, making them a more practical option for some travelers.

4. Is it necessary to book a limousine in advance, or can I book one upon arrival at the airport?

It is recommended to book a limousine in advance to ensure availability and avoid any last-minute price increases. However, some limousine companies may offer on-demand services at the airport, but it is best to check with the company beforehand.

5. Are there any additional factors to consider when deciding between an airport taxi and limousine?

In addition to cost, other factors to consider may include the level of comfort and luxury you desire, the amount of luggage you have, and the number of people traveling with you. You may also want to consider the reputation and reliability of the transportation company.